Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,606      

Deleted member 654622

D
More of a 34 5 tech that for us is really a 10-15 snap plug. We could have done worse but we could also do much, much better. Fairly disappointing commit.
Considering all the hype was going toward others about this weekend, I was also disappointed. Made it seem like we missed out on who we were really targeting

#1,610      
More of a 34 5 tech that for us is really a 10-15 snap plug. We could have done worse but we could also do much, much better. Fairly disappointing commit.

I'm not an evaluator of defensive line talent by any means, but I didn't see a whole lot of shedding blocks. He moved himself into gaps on plays, but wasn't able to really free himself up. Seems like the frame is there to work with, but more on the project side of a recruit.

#1,611      
From what I could gather on Twitter: Levelston, Newton, Wiggles are gunna be tough. Maybe 1 of 3 happens, but I'd guess 0 for 3 if they decided today.

AJ isn't happening. Doyle seems destined for TAMU. Not sure where the big splash is going to come from with this class - I guess Riggins/Spann look likely to happen?

Gotta also gotta watch out for Fla St, Miss, Ark moving in on some of these GA/Fla recruits...

#1,612      
I'm not an evaluator of defensive line talent by any means, but I didn't see a whole lot of shedding blocks. He moved himself into gaps on plays, but wasn't able to really free himself up. Seems like the frame is there to work with, but more on the project side of a recruit.

He's not particularly strong at at the point of attack and he doesn't read well but more than that, like a lot of young kids with longer arms (In terms of measureables, Shipton checks the boxes), he's a reacher. That doesn't work at this level.

#1,613      
From what I could gather on Twitter: Levelston, Newton, Wiggles are gunna be tough. Maybe 1 of 3 happens, but I'd guess 0 for 3 if they decided today.

AJ isn't happening. Doyle seems destined for TAMU. Not sure where the big splash is going to come from with this class - I guess Riggins/Spann look likely to happen?

Gotta also gotta watch out for Fla St, Miss, Ark moving in on some of these GA/Fla recruits...

Care to wager on a few of these?

#1,614      

Deleted member 654622

D
That’s not what I’m hearing. Taking Shipton, in my view, is unrelated to the kids we are active with.
Really? So are we trying to fill up the remaining schollys with D lineman? Not that we don't need the help there

#1,617      

Deleted member 654622

D
Guys Lovie can count. There are going to be more schollys available than what's left right now.
Didn't ask if he could count. I asked if we were filling up the remaining open schollys with all D lineman.

#1,619      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Off the ledge on Shipton. We need DTs bad. As Twangers said, Shipton's most likely a 10-15 snap plug. Not an exciting commitment, but addresses a need. Too early to make a call on DT recruiting.

#1,620      
I guess I could ask this under the coaching carousel thread, but with all the turnover in coaches is there any chance we get any new assistants that will help upgrade our recruiting?

#1,621      
Off the ledge on Shipton. We need DTs bad. As Twangers said, Shipton's most likely a 10-15 snap plug. Not an exciting commitment, but addresses a need. Too early to make a call on DT recruiting.

Exactly. I don't know if Shipton is starting school in Jan or the spring. Hopefully January and be able to get 7 to 8 months with Lou. They need a 2-year guy that can come in and get in the rotation.

#1,622      
I guess I could ask this under the coaching carousel thread, but with all the turnover in coaches is there any chance we get any new assistants that will help upgrade our recruiting?
Will edit in a bit if I can find it, but I am pretty sure I saw a tweet from one of the Illini sports writers after the bowl announcement that Lovie wasn't planning on making any staff changes. He said he like being the DC as it got him more involved with the kids and stuff. I wouldn't count on us bringing in a coach unless we someone else gets poached which I don't see happening.

EDIT:
Found it, it was a tweet from Jeremy and I might be reading too much into it.

Last edited:
#1,623      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Will edit in a bit if I can find it, but I am pretty sure I saw a tweet from one of the Illini sports writers after the bowl announcement that Lovie wasn't planning on making any staff changes. He said he like being the DC as it got him more involved with the kids and stuff. I wouldn't count on us bringing in a coach unless we someone else gets poached which I don't see happening.
For some reason, I thought we were playing a coach light. I get he doesn't want to fire anyone, and wants to stay DC, but are we short one from the max? I would think it would be helpful to have an extra coach.

#1,624      
For some reason, I thought we were playing a coach light. I get he doesn't want to fire anyone, and wants to stay DC, but are we short one from the max? I would think it would be helpful to have an extra coach.

We are technically missing a DC. So there is a spot open. I could see us hiring someone that Lovie respects, but I don't think there will be any title changes. Any new hire will not be the DC or if they are they will be that in name only or maybe a DefensiveQC person. I have no idea, but it sounds like we are rolling with what we got.

#1,625      

Bold: In terms of recruiting this cycle, it wouldn't help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.