Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,926      

Deleted member 654622

D
IW's still playing high school ball with flashes of those days in camp and limited action. Robinson knows every play in that book which gives him the edge as backup(chase daniels). My only question on this subject's what's up with Coran? Strong arm, athletic, has been in the program...Any insider info on Coran?
Werner made a comment the other day about the QB position from camp and the simple drill of throwing to receivers during routes. It was along the lines of some parents coming up to him and talking about Peters having a B1G arm and they have not seen that here in a while. He continued saying that Matt and IW struggled to make the throws with consistency and strength. I believe his next comment was "then Coran would come up and you would have no idea where it was going to go".

#1,927      

Deleted member 656517

D
Werner made a comment the other day about the QB position from camp and the simple drill of throwing to receivers during routes. It was along the lines of some parents coming up to him and talking about Peters having a B1G arm and they have not seen that here in a while. He continued saying that Matt and IW struggled to make the throws with consistency and strength. I believe his next comment was "then Coran would come up and you would have no idea where it was going to go".
My impression of Coran has been based off of one throw he made in the spring game and drilled a deep inn pass across the middle. Seems like one of those players when the lights are on he'll make shiii happen

#1,928      

Deleted member 656517

D
My impression of Coran has been based off of one throw he made in the spring game and drilled a deep inn pass across the middle. Seems like one of those players when the lights are on he'll make shiii happen
Built like Dre Brown so I figured he could be the next Juice

#1,929      

Deleted member 654622

D
He has the running ability and size to be a Khalil Tate, but he needs to make some serious strides with his accuracy

#1,930      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The very rare late redshirt would pay dividends for him. He looks twice the size he was the last two seasons. Another yr sitting watching the game and letting his Gene's takeover would make him a shiii disturber

I spent 30 seconds pondering who Gene was. :)

As to your point, I agree. Gay was pressed into service out of necessity, but he would've been far better served (in a perfect world) by redshirting.

#1,936      
Noticed that Stanford has 11 guys in portal — most if not all grad transfers. Know of no real connection of any them to Illini, but noticed one of the DL is from Indiana. Jovan Swann is from Greenwood and has had 4 sacks each of last 2 years.

#1,937      

Deleted member 645583

D
Questions from a Neanderthal:

What exactly transpires during a recruit's visit to Illinois? Meet and greet, eats, watch team in action, talk to adminstrators, guidance counselors? And are they actually suited up to see how they like the orange-and-blue look? I'm serious. What goes on?

Thanks.

A warm welcome, Mr. Spann.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,938      

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
And are they actually suited up to see how they like the orange-and-blue look?

Yes, a photo op in full uniform seems to be a standard part of every visit now. Recruits want to put photos up on social media, and its also a way for us to get our brand presence out there.

#1,939      
Questions from a Neanderthal:

What exactly transpires during a recruit's visit to Illinois? Meet and greet, eats, watch team in action, talk to adminstrators, guidance counselors? And are they actually suited up to see how they like the orange-and-blue look? I'm serious. What goes on?

Thanks.

A warm welcome, Mr. Spann.
I don't have answer to your question. One thing that Zook used to do that I thought sounded cool. Was take the visitors sledding. A lot of them were from Florida and hadn't been in snow much.

#1,941      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
So my guy on the team said it’s looking like wiggles is in. Newton/riggings they aren’t quite sure about 50/50. Bailey will go to Minnesota if they will take him. Staff seems out on levelston and art green.

As others have mentioned, we already have a Bailey-type: Seth Coleman. We have a VG chance to shore up our interior DL (which is critical). Thanks for the info.

#1,942      

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
I’ll shed more light on this after ESP. Things are a bit wild right now.
I like the surprises. ESP is going to be FUN! And then hopefully hearing about what went on behind the scenes, too. This thread will get loooong.
If you're like me it took almost an entire cup of coffee to figure out this refers to the Early Signing Period.

#1,943      
He also alluded that the staff wants to leave some scholarships open because kids will transfer after bowl games a lot of times. Want to get another impact receiver, DL depth and maybe a veteran safety. Also they wouldn’t mind getting a backup offense line to compete with Verdis.

#1,949      
This is what the beat writers were telling us about Chance Crouch, until they saw a larger sample size.

#1,950      
I would like this pickup too... if we saw these HUDL highlights: https://247sports.com/Player/Jacquez-Jones-87758/ for one of Illinois's committed prep recruits, we would all be pretty excited. Surprised he was only a mid-level 3 star coming out of high school.
I am not sure we should go after a 3 star transfer wide receiver. I think we have two great freshman wr's coming in along with 2 4 star vets coming back and a 5 star vet coming back in BeBe. We also have Cumby, Campbell and a few other stellar WR's. I think we should go after Art Green a six two Safety. WR is one of the strongest positions on the team. We should seek more WR's or QB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.