Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FT35

Naperville
Good news should be coming. A solid transfer with two years of eligibility.

If it's Derrick Smith then that would be a massive get regardless of whether he's immediately eligible or not.

I'm looking at him like a JUCO addition to the Class of 2020 who Nebraska, Texas and Florida were also after.

We have two open scholarships so I hope we can fill them. Still a number of guys left in the transfer portal.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
If it's Derrick Smith then that would be a massive get regardless of whether he's immediately eligible or not.

I'm looking at him like a JUCO addition to the Class of 2020 who Nebraska, Texas and Florida were also after.

We have two open scholarships so I hope we can fill them. Still a number of guys left in the transfer portal.

Agreed. Not going to complain, would be a solid add.

I understand this will sound stupid based on our current circumstances but this one doesn’t bother me much. Our depth chart at CB isn’t shaky now, it’s shaky for the foreseeable future (Barring our recruiting efforts trending in a direction that isn’t known to me currently). I think we’re better off focusing on guys with multiple years of eligibility in the defensive back field.

I understand this will sound stupid based on our current circumstances but this one doesn’t bother me much. Our depth chart at CB isn’t shaky now, it’s shaky for the foreseeable future (Barring our recruiting efforts trending in a direction that isn’t known to me currently). I think we’re better off focusing on guys with multiple years of eligibility in the defensive back field.

We have 7 scholarship cbs, 5 are underclassmen. My only concern is this year. I don’t think Ross is a good fit with Illinois culture, but having him would alleviate a lot of concern

We have 7 scholarship cbs, 5 are underclassmen. My only concern is this year. I don’t think Ross is a good fit with Illinois culture, but having him would alleviate a lot of concern

The numbers are there but the talent is not. This is clearly, at least in my view, the weak link along on the roster as a whole and now with an unknown future for Marquez Beason, it’s a major problem going into 2020 and 2021 (Without Nate Hobbs).

I know our staff is confident in adding a couple seniors to this mix, I haven’t been told directly but I have to believe Kyan Graham is being recruited as a CB. He’s got some legitimate talent but he’s going to be a work in progress. There’s no Marquez Beason is this recruiting cycle for the good guys, we’re on some shaky ground at an important position in this defensive scheme.

The numbers are there but the talent is not. This is clearly, at least in my view, the weak link along on the roster as a whole and now with an unknown future for Marquez Beason, it’s a major problem going into 2020 and 2021 (Without Nate Hobbs).

I know our staff is confident in adding a couple seniors to this mix, I haven’t been told directly but I have to believe Kyan Graham is being recruited as a CB. He’s got some legitimate talent but he’s going to be a work in progress. There’s no Marquez Beason is this recruiting cycle for the good guys, we’re on some shaky ground at an important position in this defensive scheme.
Really? The kid from Florida, can play. Absolute steal for Illinois as he was headed to JC. The starters are darn good. If Beason returns next season, this unit will be deep. This staff identifies talent and still has some out there to get.

I think Witherspoon will be solid next year and Thompson. Add that to Quan and beason, I like our depth for a few years. Plus We have graham and parodie and other grad transfers still to add to this class. I think starting next year, we have some good depth and talent at each position. This is the year where the talent is young and on the border of good

Yeah, well, his timing just ain't fast enough, dammit! :D

Don’t we know it. Sometimes it never is.

In this day and age, there’s honestly little if any reason to care about when people commit . Kids simply flip too often. I can tell you for fact that our staff is accurately aware of how hard we will need to continue to recruit CJ Dixon, the offers for him are expected to come hot and heavy. Our staff is also highly confident of our ability to flip multiple other currently committed players, namely Mookie Cooper. Until early signing day, who has committed to whom and when and where, it doesn’t really get me excited.

Deleted member 654622

D
Don’t we know it. Sometimes it never is.

In this day and age, there’s honestly little if any reason to care about when people commit . Kids simply flip too often. I can tell you for fact that our staff is accurately aware of how hard we will need to continue to recruit CJ Dixon, the offers for him are expected to come hot and heavy. Our staff is also highly confident of our ability to flip multiple other currently committed players, namely Mookie Cooper. Until early signing day, who has committed to whom and when and where, it doesn’t really get me excited.
We show it on the field this year and our recruiting issues become SOOOOO much easier. And I will feel a lot more confident in Mookie and CJ.
Thanks for the heads up Twangers

Last edited by a moderator:

FT35

Naperville
Frenchie says he's going to commit before the first game of the season in this article:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hig...lvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=dlvr#1

He narrowed down his top five choices to Missouri, Illinois, Louisville, Purdue and Tennessee. Frenchie said his plan is to verbally commit sometime before the first game of the season. With so many appealing choices, he wants to go where he feels most wanted.

“Who stuck with me throughout my process? Who showed attention to me?” Frenchie said. “Who wants to make me a better person outside of football?”

There is an obvious connection between Trinity and Illinois. The Titans former coach, Cory Patterson, is an assistant at Illinois. The Illini landed a stellar recruiting class last season in part because Trinity's standout prospects, Isaiah Williams and Shammond Cooper, signed with them.

It would be a joyous reunion if Frenchie were to join his former teammates in Champaign. They made a significant impact on Trinity's program and every player within it, including Frenchie.

FT35

Naperville
Speaking of CJ Dixon, whats up with Samari Collier? I see a lot of likes and retweets from the staff about him.
https://247sports.com/Player/Samari-Collier-46085439/
Anyone have any legit info about his value and likelihood to be an Illini?

I heard that Sam Jackson of Naperville Central is our #1 QB target for the Class of 2021 right now.

Collier didn't visit for the BBQ in July and that may be why. We couldn't get Jackson on campus either, however.

We show it on the field this year and our recruiting issues become SOOOOO much easier. And I will feel a lot more confident in Mookie and CJ.
Thanks for the heads up Twangers

There’s been a good debate going over what constitutes success this season which will ultimately decide Lovie’s fate. Is it 6 wins, is it 5 wins with competitive losses? I don’t know the answer to do that. What I do know is that in relation to you comment above, you are 100% correct, showing it on the field with tangible result changes the recruiting game for us. If we get to 6+ wins and a bowl game this puts right back into play for Mookie Cooper, among others. 0440 is as plugged in as anybody I’ve seen and he’s been adamant on that. We get to a bowl game, we show kids he on-field product is there and we get them here to see this new facility? We’re in business.

Mookie, Jadon, Frenchie, Isaiah, CJ, Reggie and Luke in 2021? That’s ridiculous. That’s how important getting to a bowl game is, it could lead to us legitimately landing that type of offensive talent.

Mookie, Jadon, Frenchie, Isaiah, CJ, Reggie and Luke in 2021? That’s ridiculous. That’s how important getting to a bowl game is, it could lead to us legitimately landing that type of offensive talent.

*drools*

This type of talent in our offensive scheme has the potential to create some real momentum going forward. I am nervous about this season, but I think we can get to a bowl.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

QFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.