Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
It is becoming a more and more exciting time to be an Illini football fan. The infusion of talent via the transfer portal as well as the fact that the roster essentially gets Luke Ford and Marquez Beason with a year of intellectual growth in the system is fantastic. A senior Brandon Peters with "One" in the wings and three senior wide receivers with that stacked backfield and an experienced O-Line would make a mediocre 2019 palatable. Now, if Frenchie really is on board as the more trustworthy folks here say, and Illinois finds a way to add/stash some impact, high-ceiling 2020 athletes, we can all preemptively douse ourselves in orange Kool-Aid.
Its really exciting that our focus is somewhat shifting from "what ifs" in recruiting to actual dudes in the program

Safety? Tight end? Lab experiment?

Our staff is taking this transfer phenomena to a new level (for us). Somewhat akin to NFL free agency. FWIW, I'm all for it. Obviously, we need to be judicious with the kids we're taking. But the talent level and experience of these guys can be a great equalizer.

I love it honestly. Snyder built up k state with jc transfers who were ready to come in and play. Hoiberg built isu basketball with transfers who came in ready to play. Mike White in the 80s (I’ve been told, only breathing for 3 of those years). There are models out there to win with transfers when you can grab the right guys.

I find it interesting how well we seem to be doing in transfer market. Are we doing things differently than other schools? Do we have more roster openings or more opportunity for playing time? Are we watching the portal more closely? Or is it just a perception and many schools are bringing in similar talent?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I find it interesting how well we seem to be doing in transfer market. Are we doing things differently than other schools? Do we have more roster openings or more opportunity for playing time? Are we watching the portal more closely? Or is it just a perception and many schools are bringing in similar talent?

90% (or more) because we have a ride available. Keeping some powder dry has paid great dividends. I expect us to continue to do so.

For all the Lovie doom and gloomers. Lovie's 7 transfers had an average 95.5 rating out of high school. Also I doubt we hit the fund raising for the Smith Center without Lovie as our Coach.

In year 4, we have experience and skill at most positions. We still need depth, but our roster isn't filled wirh undersized lineman or unskilled QB, RB, WR.

I still would like to see a proven DC and less misses with instate recruiting.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
I love it honestly. Snyder built up k state with jc transfers who were ready to come in and play. Hoiberg built isu basketball with transfers who came in ready to play. Mike White in the 80s (I’ve been told, only breathing for 3 of those years). There are models out there to win with transfers when you can grab the right guys.
Best recent example of this in college sports is what Eric Musselman did at Nevada. I wonder if Lovie had hit the ground running with this strategy how much further along we'd be at this point.

didn't someone post about a transfer with immediate eligibility committing soon? maybe i'm remembering incorrectly.

didn't someone post about a transfer with immediate eligibility committing soon? maybe i'm remembering incorrectly.

The post was about a player with 2 years of eligibility. That’s now confirmed as Derrick Smith.

I don’t see any way he gets a waiver, I don’t even know if he’ll apply for one this late.

For all the Lovie doom and gloomers. Lovie's 7 transfers had an average 95.5 rating out of high school. Also I doubt we hit the fund raising for the Smith Center without Lovie as our Coach.

In year 4, we have experience and skill at most positions. We still need depth, but our roster isn't filled wirh undersized lineman or unskilled QB, RB, WR.

I still would like to see a proven DC and less misses with instate recruiting.
Instate recruiting has a lot to do with high school coaches not pushing Illinois to their players....they want Illinois to be all in on their kids yet offer little help to Illinois when they are recruiting their kids.

Re: In state kids, meh.

We’ve primarily targeted Texas, Florida and California for recruiting. Way more talent in those places on average than Illinois. If Illinois kids want to come, great, but Illinois is hardly the talent rich state for football that it is for basketball.

Re: In state kids, meh.

We’ve primarily targeted Texas, Florida and California for recruiting. Way more talent in those places on average than Illinois. If Illinois kids want to come, great, but Illinois is hardly the talent rich state for football that it is for basketball.

All due respect, that’s not only inaccurate, it’s a poor way of going about things.

Deleted member 649710

D
There usually are at least a dozen very good in-state kids every year, and I have no doubt we will start attracting more of them if Lovie is able to start winning consistently. The local kids are more attuned to the fact that Illini football has been terrible their entire lives than the kids from Texas and Florida. It’s going to take time to change the perception.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
There usually are at least a dozen very good in-state kids every year, and I have no doubt we will start attracting more of them if Lovie is able to start winning consistently. The local kids are more attuned to the fact that Illini football has been terrible their entire lives than the kids from Texas and Florida. It’s going to take time to change the perception.

This. If we can emerge from raging tire fire status, we'll see better returns from in-state recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.