Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no insight on this but from the outside looking in it appears that they have been pushing for 2021 kids since our Friday Night Lights Showcase back in June but none have hopped on board for obvious reasons.

This staff has done a great job of building relationships with 2021 kids and getting them on campus. Now that we are headed to a bowl and have the new facility I'm excited to see who Patterson, Bellamy, Clark, etc. can potentially land.

Recruiting timelines have been pushed up so much in recent years with the new December signing period. Most P5 schools have 15+ commits in the 2020 class so the focus has already shifted to the class of 2021. There are 43 schools that have commits from 2021 kids so it's not unrealistic to expect a 2021 kid to verbal to us in the next couple of months.
That would be nice. I believe we were the last power 5 school to get a commit for 2020

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
We’ve got a couple 2021 kids that are essentially in, it’s more a matter of when they announce.

I’m not too worried about the number of kids we’ll sign or when those timelines are, it’s more about the individual names.

I think the timeline is really important. Capturing moments when the team is playing well or a stretch of growth that matches the selling points of the previous classes is an important time. This bye week seems invaluable because it allows the staff to sell a product that is now marketing at a higher level than a month ago (hell, even three years ago). I wouldn't say that it's a "now or never" but...

I think the timeline is really important. Capturing moments when the team is playing well or a stretch of growth that matches the selling points of the previous classes is an important time. This bye week seems invaluable because it allows the staff to sell a product that is now marketing at a higher level than a month ago (hell, even three years ago). I wouldn't say that it's a "now or never" but...

I wish that I could say that I know of 2021 recruits that are on board with Illinois. But there are very few 2021 recruits that if they said yes to Illinois that a school like Michigan or OSU would not think they could steal. Unlike other years, with recruits such as I Williams or Beason, I haven't heard of a recruit yet where the writing is on the wall.

I can say that we are in contention for really good recruits this go around. But, I haven't heard much about players that are ready to commit (not to say it doesn't exist) and will not waver.

I'd say that's a fair point. I would agree with that.

I'm not getting the attraction with the bye week. The product on the field is really exciting. I think Northwestern is far more important than the bye week for recruiting. not to mention there are more top players playing right now than will be playing the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I'm not getting the attraction with the bye week.

The attraction is fairly simple: Every other staff with a game to prepare for has a time constraint. We don't. Want to fly down and see a kid's playoff game (Something 17-18 year olds love)? Sit in his home and share a meal with the parents? Go for it. There's no game, no meetings, no media obligation, no problem. Everyone playing this week has that problem.

Last edited:
To me the biggest recruiting attraction of the bye week is that increases our
chances of beating Iowa.

Who are we even recruiting in 2020?

Freshman:

Bermudez
Riggins
Warren(?)
Spann
???

Transfer:

Netherly
???

Got it.

Earlier p
The attraction is fairly simple: Every other staff with a game to prepare for has a time constraint. We don't. Want to fly down and see a kid's playoff game (Something 17-18 year olds love)? Sit in his home and share a meal with the parents? Go for it. There's no game, no meetings, no media obligation, no problem. Everyone playing this week has that problem.
Got it.

Earlier people were talking about visits to our campus which I think would be a waste .

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Doyle seems like something that could actually happen now.

As much as we joke about Mookie Cooper wavering, getting Doyle would maybe be the more important commitment. Officially opening the door at Lutheran North, provides a major replacement at LB for Harding (this year) and Hansen (next year), and could be a great STL combo at LB with Shammond Cooper.

As much as we joke about Mookie Cooper wavering, getting Doyle would maybe be the more important commitment. Officially opening the door at Lutheran North, provides a major replacement at LB for Harding (this year) and Hansen (next year), and could be a great STL combo at LB with Shammond Cooper.

Couldn't agree more, fine post.

Talent wise, our offense is far ahead of the defense. A kid with Doyle's profile would be a massive get. Doyle really is every bit as good of a HS prospect as Marquez Beason.

Status
Not open for further replies.