Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't a bad thing to receive information for different sources that corroborate the same thing. I appreciate the info that Twangers shares.

Thanks. Again though, for note, this report isn't accurate. Netherly has taken multiple visits (FanSided really only surfs social media. This must not be out there) and I'm told is waiting for an offer (May or may not come) that would change his direction. It would be a big one for him personally.

Still, I think we're in good position with the kid. And at WR, he's a solid get. Would cover a big hole for us in 2021.

Not this time. I’m only about 90% sure of who it is. I typically won’t share it broadly unless I feel it’s air tight.

I will say this, if my 90% is accurate, this program can offer him a few things we can’t.

My guess is Bama, they are losing 3 WRs to the NFL this year. Other possibilities are Texas A&M and Texas.

Very interesting to have a top 4 with a commitment but I’m not complaining. I’ve never seen the kid but a few buddies from around Starkville who have say he’s good. Bit of a tweener.

This is the power of a bowl game. These are the kids that typically wouldn’t look our way.

Deleted member 654622

D
We're in the Top 4 for 4 Star WR Lideatrick Griffin who is currently committed to Mississippi State. Illinois just offered him a couple of weeks ago.

https://247sports.com/player/lideatrick-griffin-46054282/

Very interesting to have a top 4 with a commitment but I’m not complaining.
So he is still committed and then just put out a random top 4? Ya that cant be sitting good with Miss St right?

EDIT:
This is on his twitter feed. I did not see any form of a commitment to that point. I could have missed it though, he has a lot of videos and pics so it was jumping around a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd that he has offers from schools like Auburn and Ole Miss but is considering Arkansas State?
Well, many in SEC country would probably say, odd that he has offers from schools like Auburn and Ole Miss, but is considering Illinois?

A month ago there was a coaching carousel thread naming Lovie's successor. We know things have changed, the surrounding states know things have changed.......most college football fans from around the country....not so much.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Mississippi State bowl prospects hinge on beating Ole Miss at home in three weeks.

Well, many in SEC country would probably say, odd that he has offers from schools like Auburn and Ole Miss, but is considering Illinois?

A month ago there was a coaching carousel thread naming Lovie's successor. We know things have changed, the surrounding states know things have changed.......most college football fans from around the country....not so much.

For a 6 win team, we have gotten quite a bit of press due to the Wisconsin and MSU games. Heck, we were in the title of the front page article on ESPN Sunday. It sounds stupid, but I also feel like Lovie's beard has gotten us a lot of attention. I've seen several articles referring to it, and then inevitably making a reference to his time with the Bears. I think this is what Josh envisioned when he took this chance.

FT35

Naperville
So he is still committed and then just put out a random top 4? Ya that cant be sitting good with Miss St right?

EDIT:
This is on his twitter feed. I did not see any form of a commitment to that point. I could have missed it though, he has a lot of videos and pics so it was jumping around a lot

He committed to Mississippi State in November of 2018 but then decommitted in May of this year. He then recommitted a month later:

https://247sports.com/college/missi...talks-Mississippi-State-commitment-133066041/

What's interesting is that Arkansas State, Illinois and Maryland have all offered in the past month and they are all in his top 4. I wonder if other schools have moved on from him? I don't think we can really take him seriously unless he takes the time to visit us.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
He committed to Mississippi State in November of 2018 but then decommitted in May of this year. He then recommitted a month later:

https://247sports.com/college/missi...talks-Mississippi-State-commitment-133066041/

What's interesting is that Arkansas State, Illinois and Maryland have all offered in the past month and they are all in his top 4. I wonder if other schools have moved on from him? I don't think we can really take him seriously unless he takes the time to visit us.

Agreed. There's a lot of funny things going on with this one. Either Illinois isn't a serious contender or there are other factors at play.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Slightly off-topic, but related to recruiting. Does anyone know what happened to Jason Bargy? He was arrested for domestic battery last year and never signed with Minnesota. I couldn't find any details if he went to court, was/was not convicted, received a plea deal, charges were dropped, etc. I'm not interested in Illinois going after him, just wondering if anyone knows anything before last November's arrest.

For a 6 win team, we have gotten quite a bit of press due to the Wisconsin and MSU games. Heck, we were in the title of the front page article on ESPN Sunday. It sounds stupid, but I also feel like Lovie's beard has gotten us a lot of attention. I've seen several articles referring to it, and then inevitably making a reference to his time with the Bears. I think this is what Josh envisioned when he took this chance.
the beard believes

Thanks. Again though, for note, this report isn't accurate. Netherly has taken multiple visits (FanSided really only surfs social media. This must not be out there) and I'm told is waiting for an offer (May or may not come) that would change his direction. It would be a big one for him personally.

Still, I think we're in good position with the kid. And at WR, he's a solid get. Would cover a big hole for us in 2021.
It has been verified by a pay site. Thus, why I mentioned it.

Not to get anyone's Hope's too high but I recently heard rumblings of us flipping a kid who is a great athlete.. it's not a.j. henning but hes still very very good..
The name I've been hearing is lideatrick griffin... hes a 4 star wideout who committed to miss st...
To confirm what I've been hearing I've been watching is twitter and last night he posted a final 4...
Which included miss st. Arkansas. Maryland and Illini...
Hope we can flip this kid hes pretty good..

Deleted member 654622

D
Not to get anyone's Hope's too high but I recently heard rumblings of us flipping a kid who is a great athlete.. it's not a.j. henning but hes still very very good..
The name I've been hearing is lideatrick griffin... hes a 4 star wideout who committed to miss st...
To confirm what I've been hearing I've been watching is twitter and last night he posted a final 4...
Which included miss st. Arkansas. Maryland and Illini...
Hope we can flip this kid hes pretty good..
"taps you on the shoulder"
raw

Bro, you see all the post above you

The staff is out in full force this week. Trying use this momentum to flip a lot of talent.

How many spots are left realistically for prep/JUCO recruits? I assume they will keep some spots open for grad transfers/transfers after bowl season?

Attrition hard to predict, but looks like we could have quite a bit - y attempt at figuring out where non-obvious scholarships open up:

Roundtree - Medical Scholarship? (Maybe already taken by Navarro?)
Imatorbhebhe - Goes pro?
Betiku - Goes pro?
J Hanson - Does he test NFL Waters?
D Wyatt - Transfer / Medical Scholarship
J Thompson - Transfer / Medical Scholarship
E Holmes - Transfer?
K Gavin - 5th year Transfer?
L Oladipo - Legal issues
K Myers - Transfer?
G Palmer - 5th Year Transfer?
Taylor / Robinson - Transfer for Playing Time?

How many spots are left realistically for prep/JUCO recruits? I assume they will keep some spots open for grad transfers/transfers after bowl season?

Attrition hard to predict, but looks like we could have quite a bit - y attempt at figuring out where non-obvious scholarships open up:

Imatorbhebhe - Goes pro?
Betiku - Goes pro?
E Holmes - Transfer?
L Oladipo - Legal issues
K Myers - Transfer?
8 2020 commits with I believe 4 more spots to be filled. I believe roundtree has already been moved to a medical scholarship. Don't believe the next 3 are going pro but Wole has the best shot. Bring in Dixon and Spann at least 1 current QB will transfer. Lere won't be back, then the rest are hard to predict but the staff has an idea of who might be leaving.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Beyond attrition, there's the possibility of employing blueshirts/grayshirts with 2020 kids because we have a huge 2021 class. Guy's like the big CPL d-lineman (Key?) and Schirmer come to mind.

Imatorbhebhe - Goes pro?
Betiku - Goes pro?
E Holmes - Transfer?
L Oladipo - Legal issues
K Myers - Transfer?

what happened to Wyatt?

Status
Not open for further replies.