Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,076      
Think Lovie would like him in at the nickel spot.

As in, he plays from a rush spot on 3rd downs? That would jive. That's essentially what that "Elephant" role is. It's nothing Lovie would use first-second down.

That could work. Same type of role as Derrick Smith, perhaps.

#1,077      
I watched a lot of his tape and he was lined up on WR's at times and did more than fine. Seems they moved him around. I think you are right in that he might be a passing downs type player as he could cover if needed or rush. Give them flexibility to do different things.

#1,078      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Flipping Riggins would be a nice win for Illinois. Badly need to improve the DE spot. I'm not looking at his film but there seems to be inconsistency on whether he would be a DE or DT moving forward.

#1,079      
As in, he plays from a rush spot on 3rd downs? That would jive. That's essentially what that "Elephant" role is. It's nothing Lovie would use first-second down.

That could work. Same type of role as Derrick Smith, perhaps.

I'm thinking he will be in the same role as Eifler and Derrick Smith, fast LB to handle the pass coverage duties normally handled by a nickel corner because we have been staying in 4-3 base. Not sure why we would rush the passer with a S/LB hybrid. He would need to bulk up for that kind of role.

#1,080      
Flipping Riggins would be a nice win for Illinois. Badly need to improve the DE spot. I'm not looking at his film but there seems to be inconsistency on whether he would be a DE or DT moving forward.

We need a few guys after losing Oladipo. I would say DT is probably most dire right now, we will have 3 SRs and a RS FR in 2021. Hopefully we can get 3-4 DL in the 2021 cycle to make up for it. For now we look to only be 2 deep at each spot on the DL for 2021.

#1,081      
I'm thinking he will be in the same role as Eifler and Derrick Smith, fast LB to handle the pass coverage duties normally handled by a nickel corner because we have been staying in 4-3 base. Not sure why we would rush the passer with a S/LB hybrid. He would need to bulk up for that kind of role.

He’s 210, he’s more than bulked for that role.

Besides that, swapping a LB for a CB in our sets as more than simply a one-off look makes little to no sense.

#1,082      
He’s 210, he’s more than bulked for that role.

Besides that, swapping a LB for a CB in our sets as more than simply a one-off look makes little to no sense.

Sure, we can stay in Base 4-3 for 3 WR sets, but if its a 4 WR set, probably want to sub a LB to add speed. Not many pass rushers are only 210 also. Like I'd say you want 230 minimum.

#1,084      
Sure, we can stay in Base 4-3 for 3 WR sets, but if its a 4 WR set, probably want to sub a LB to add speed. Not many pass rushers are only 210 also. Like I'd say you want 230 minimum.

You need to stop and think about what our defense looks like against 3 or 4 WR sets (Lovie doesn't shift much from one based on that extra receiver). It's quarters or under 10 here.

Weight has nothing to do with it, in these situations you need edge/gap speed (Which is why we're interested in the kid in the first place. He's fast). The offense is going to be blocking you with less people than you rush, the goal is simply to crash the edge/gap and get there as quickly as possible. It doesn't matter if you're 190 or 290. if you can run, you can play that spot. You're not looking for someone to work through trash, you're looking to crash.

#1,088      

"We will love for you to come in and play nickel/WILL linebacker for us because of your speed which allows you fit the scheme of our defense,” Gardner told Illini Inquirer earlier this month.

Nice, exactly what I was thinking too. ;)

#1,091      
Be interesting to see how we use a lot of these kids, the likes of Bailey, Smith and Cooper but these are the types of players you load up. You can never have enough fast, athletic backers who can play a couple different spots.

Still don’t know much about the kid as an individual but on paper, we did well here. Now, we await the flood.

#1,094      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I appreciate that he had (what looks like) a serious Nebraska offer and connections to Illinois became a big motivating factor.

A flood of commitments? Like 5 or more? Or less substantial?

#1,096      
I’m hearing 5. There are other kids out there but I don’t know where we’re at with those names specifically.

One will most definitely be substantial.

A juco flood or just a general HS flood or both?

#1,099      

Deleted member 654622

D
My main concern is centered around the talent level of our younger players and the players we are bringing in at the LB position. If we don't have a competent coach, we are not only going to waste that talent, but possibly deter that level to come here in the future

#1,100      
My main concern is centered around the talent level of our younger players and the players we are bringing in at the LB position. If we don't have a competent coach, we are not only going to waste that talent, but possibly deter that level to come here in the future
It has been pretty heavily insinuated that Lovie is the de facto LB coach. I don't think we should be worrying about the coaching of the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.