Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,128      

Deleted member 656517

D
The Miznoz fan base hates Odom and think he’s a lame duck who has already hit his ceiling. I think he gets the axe after the season, but I hope not. The last thing we need‘s some new coach bringing energy to that program and messing up the pipeline we’ve established in STL

#1,129      
It seems like the Lovie strategy is to hire staff with minimal prep recruiting experience and success and just look to transfers from the portal and JC to be competitive. Let's face it, fans, without this year's transfers in Peters, Josh I, Eifler, Wole, Navarro and Pettibon our prep recruits are unlikely to have done better than 3-8.

The big question is whether Lovie can consistently bring in that quality of transfer year after year. We only have two competitive prep recruiters in Patterson and Hayes-Stoker, and Patterson relied a LOT on his Trinity ties to bring in good STL recruits. As time goes by, that advantage and contacts will disappear in STL. He can't recruit well in ESL and is only so-so around the rest of STL.

DL coach Clark and CB coach Hudson may have used up their USC connections that brought in three top players this year. Hudson has little to show for his South Florida contacts other than transfer LB Derrick Smith, and we'll see how that goes this Spring. That's not enough. Clark can still salvage decent recruiting, and we desperately need immediate help at DT next year. A 3* 260lb DT is unlikely to fill that Bill. "We still don't have a pass rushing DE in this class, and that's a real need. We're dead in the water for quality LBs in this class. Lovie can't do it all, and Miles just can't do it. WE NEED safety help for next year, and Safety and passing coordinator Byrd has shown us nothing on the recruiting trail. Unless someone else covers for him and brings quality help in through the transfer market, I don't see how we can keep him, even with the DB improvement over the season. That may be more to getting healthy and Lovie protecting them than Byrd, because our pass D has largely been horrendous as we saw today...

In this new transfer portal reality, the December signing date isn't so important anymore. A change in staff after the season might not be too damaging if you can bring in someone who can attract transfers to come in the spring or summer....

#1,131      
Just wondrin'....can Chase Brown, our top safety Sidney's twin bro, make the switch from RB to safety? That would make for an interesting situation. AT RB he'll be behind Epstein (health permitting), Bonner and maybe recruit Love. At safety he's no worse than in the rotation and two deep. Whaddya think? That could make up for our poor prep safety recruiting if we don't get a quality transfer. BTW, what's going on with ESL WR/DB Lauann Powell? Doesn't seem that much is goin on with him in recruiting.

#1,132      

Deleted member 746648

D
Just wondrin'....can Chase Brown, our top safety Sidney's twin bro, make the switch from RB to safety?
I'm not sure if I would want him too. That's a position that we need alot of depth at and he'll be a solid rb for us. I would rather redshirt love

#1,135      
Just wondrin'....can Chase Brown, our top safety Sidney's twin bro, make the switch from RB to safety? That would make for an interesting situation. AT RB he'll be behind Epstein (health permitting), Bonner and maybe recruit Love. At safety he's no worse than in the rotation and two deep. Whaddya think? That could make up for our poor prep safety recruiting if we don't get a quality transfer. BTW, what's going on with ESL WR/DB Lauann Powell? Doesn't seem that much is goin on with him in recruiting.
Staff really likes chase at RB

#1,138      

Deleted member 654622

D
Doyle comitt coming soon?
Here is a great question. What is best for the program, if there is really a difference at all? Getting that commitment on twitter sooner rather than later, or committing at a nationally televised all star game?
I am sure Doyle is playing in an all star game somewhere. So its a great comparison to Shammond. We all were anxious for his verbal, but he waited to do it on national television. I think with our current success on the field, possibly coming off a bowl win, having that nationally televised commitment from such a talented player would be better, and cooler.

#1,139      
Here is a great question. What is best for the program, if there is really a difference at all? Getting that commitment on twitter sooner rather than later, or committing at a nationally televised all star game?
I am sure Doyle is playing in an all star game somewhere. So its a great comparison to Shammond. We all were anxious for his verbal, but he waited to do it on national television. I think with our current success on the field, possibly coming off a bowl win, having that nationally televised commitment from such a talented player would be better, and cooler.

I think shammond was more certain than Doyle, but it’s looking like a commit at an all star game

#1,140      
I agree... I would love to see him comitt on national t.v. at the under armour all American game...
Would be good for the program for sure... but first we have to handle business against northwestern.. the illini loss to iowa just solidified to me that we are not just a fluke we are getting better....

#1,142      
I agree... I would love to see him comitt on national t.v. at the under armour all American game...
Would be good for the program for sure... but first we have to handle business against northwestern.. the illini loss to iowa just solidified to me that we are not just a fluke we are getting better....

Isnt it weird? I felt the same way. Wisconsin win (maybe they overlooked us). Purdue win (they are a passing team and it was a downpour). Rutgers win (it’s Rutgers). MSU win (28-3 comebacks require fluky things). Iowa loss (huh...maybe there is something to the improvement after all).

#1,143      

IlliniFan85

Colorado Springs, CO
Any early enrollees in this class? Current commits and current targets.

#1,146      
While watching Bears (1st half), between yawns & naps, I realized commercials for Michigan/OSU were more exciting than the Bears. Imagine how recruiting would change if that monopoly was broken up. If our rivalry was maybe Wisconsin? Getting pigeon-holed against NW has to hurt our recruiting for eternity.

#1,148      
Isnt it weird? I felt the same way. Wisconsin win (maybe they overlooked us). Purdue win (they are a passing team and it was a downpour). Rutgers win (it’s Rutgers). MSU win (28-3 comebacks require fluky things). Iowa loss (huh...maybe there is something to the improvement after all).
Yea I mean we were a few mistakes away from winning that game... every ranked team we've played we could have beaten.. michigan hell of a comeback, wisconsin no. 6 best them the michigan st who was in top 25 a few weeks into season and iowa number 17 who stomped us last year at our house... I am proud of the team we have right now and the job lovie is doing... there aren't very many times I would be happy with a loss but yesterday I was happy because if I can see it then hopefully these recruits can see we have something special going and we are only a few key player from legit contention in BIG....

Status
Not open for further replies.