Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,227      
Lovie has done well in Mizzou and has become our defacto in-state recruiting. But would like for Illinois to regain a greater foothold in the state. Not only is Michigan and ND taking top talent, si has MSU, Iowa, Minny, NU, Iowa St. In some of these cases, it was over before Illinois was deeply involved.

Going forward I think Illinois needs a better instate recriuter on top of the position coaches. Winning and new facilities should help. Still can't believe that Lovie's name alone isn't a bigger draw. Few have ever coached in two Super Bowl games and hold a career NFL winning record.

#1,228      
Lovie has done well in Mizzou and has become our defacto in-state recruiting. But would like for Illinois to regain a greater foothold in the state. Not only is Michigan and ND taking top talent, si has MSU, Iowa, Minny, NU, Iowa St. In some of these cases, it was over before Illinois was deeply involved.

Going forward I think Illinois needs a better instate recriuter on top of the position coaches. Winning and new facilities should help. Still can't believe that Lovie's name alone isn't a bigger draw. Few have ever coached in two Super Bowl games and hold a career NFL winning record.

Who cares where the talent comes from. As long as we get better, I don't care if we get players from Antarctica!

The most important pipelines to build in my opinion is Texas and Florida, a ton of talent comes from those states. Illinois does not even come close, so let's focus on getting better.

#1,229      
Who cares where the talent comes from. As long as we get better, I don't care if we get players from Antarctica!

The most important pipelines to build in my opinion is Texas and Florida, a ton of talent comes from those states. Illinois does not even come close, so let's focus on getting better.

I don’t need to rehash the entirety of my long, long post from 20-30 pages ago but to be short, no state(s) recruiting wise will ever equal the importance of winning the border for any university.

#1,230      

While I agree with what you post, at 4:45 in Lovie, just a day or 2 ago, :

We, of course, recruit a lot of guys locally. There are three metropolitan areas, within 3 hours of our program. .........................

I think every coach who decided to take a coaching position at Illinois mentioned "Chicago". Point being the coaches are the ones setting these expectations. I am fine with getting kids from wherever then say so.

OK, on with the thread. Looking forward to beating NW and seeing what we haul in for 20+21 FB.

#1,231      

we should start to see an uptick in Illinois recruiting. Lovie has buy-in from local coaches at important programs and with the team improving,I expect to pick a few of the top talent from Illinois. Win the big west and we will see a huge uptick the following year. This upcoming year will be important for recruiting and determining how strong we are. I think that the level of talent we recruited is solid enough to still qualify for a bowl game in our down year. If we can do that, this program will be in good shape

#1,232      

I agree with getting out of state talent, but we have not been competitive in getting some good Illinois talent. I think that may start to change with 8+ wins and bowl games.

#1,233      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I don’t need to rehash the entirety of my long, long post from 20-30 pages ago but to be short, no state(s) recruiting wise will ever equal the importance of winning the border for any university.

Can you link me back to that particular post? I’m curious what your detailed thoughts are on this topic.

#1,234      

Deleted member 649710

D
We need to consistently win a share of the top local talent to maintain long-term success. It will take multiple winning seasons to get to that point. Illinois football has earned its crummy reputation in state. Lovie is starting to change that perception, but it will take more than one 6-7 win season.

#1,235      
We need to consistently win a share of the top local talent to maintain long-term success. It will take multiple winning seasons to get to that point. Illinois football has earned its crummy reputation in state. Lovie is starting to change that perception, but it will take more than one 6-7 win season.

I think this past season shows a lot. At least it matches the coaching narrative. This season should get us through the next recruiting class with a couple of additional in state talent. Add to that, some of the talent we have been landing, and our class will see a big improvement. A good season will help with the following year and ifwe can land some big pieces this recruiting year to fill gaps, we will be in good shape for years to come.

#1,236      
I don't get the fascination with needing in state recruiting to maintain success. Illinois is not all that when it comes to top ranked recruits. Give me recruits from Florida, Texas and Georgia all day every day.

#1,237      

Neidermeyer

Faber College
Watching the IHSA state finals and I'm surprised how many times I hear "He's going to Iowa" He's a preferred walkon to Iowa" If nothing else we should be trying to grab those kids. Mostly they're linemen. I'd love to see those kids look IL way.

#1,238      
I don't get the fascination with needing in state recruiting to maintain success. Illinois is not all that when it comes to top ranked recruits. Give me recruits from Florida, Texas and Georgia all day every day.
Just give me good recruits, I don’t care where they come from.

#1,239      

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois

It doesn’t matter where the players come from to me but, I do take special pride when a player from Illinois has success at the University of Illinois. It is nice to see a Dre Brown who you watched in high school have success at the U of I. Doesn’t do nearly as much for me to see someone do well at Iowa for instance.

#1,240      
It doesn’t matter where the players come from to me but, I do take special pride when a player from Illinois has success at the University of Illinois. It is nice to see a Dre Brown who you watched in high school have success at the U of I. Doesn’t do nearly as much for me to see someone do well at Iowa for instance.
Agreed, but we have to give them a reason to come here. The kids like Dre mean even more because they want to help build something, the instate kids that are picking Iowa over helping to bring their home state back to the promise land not so much. Granted, I understand both sides..

#1,244      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
WRT in-state recruiting: we were in a very deep hole, 95% of our own doing. The woeful facilities have been corrected, our head coach commands respect and our team is quite clearly improving. The script won't be flipped overnight, but we're going to be in the hunt for a lot more top Illinois preps going forward.

#1,245      

Deleted member 533939

D
Any possible Mizzou defections that we would have a shot at?

#1,246      

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
Odom is out at Mizzou. Perhaps some opportunities to flip a few commitments.

Status
Not open for further replies.