Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,404      
Cool but not happening.
I noticed that the kid, not the recruiter tweeted out this photo. I think Illinois has a good chance of getting this talented player. The kid is weighing his options and may very well end up in Champaign. Don't count out the Illini.

#1,405      
I noticed that the kid, not the recruiter tweeted out this photo. I think Illinois has a good chance of getting this talented player. The kid is weighing his options and may very well end up in Champaign. Don't count out the Illini.

I, unfortunately, will count us out. He’s not flipping.

#1,407      
That's all fair but you're missing one large, key variable: One year players aren't signing up to compete for jobs. Outside of maybe one-two positions, we can't offer clear avenues to start. We're less likely to attract a player with one year of eligibility than we are to attract a player with two plus.

Haven't checked it out personally but I'm told there's actually a large number of 2 year grads in/going to be in the portal.
Actually I was thinking the same thing and that was my point on available (to us),I just wasn't very clear. Personally I don't think there is that big of difference between 1 or 2 yr grads on expectations...all are leaving looking for a better opportunity, clearer path to playing time, bigger stage,and/ or some issue/conflict/coaching change that isn't working for them, but I think playing time is at the heart of almost all of the grad transfers.

Last year we were ripe & needed a starter at QB, OL, 2 WR, DL...we had a very good sell on playing time if they showed up with pulse most of the grad transfers knew they were in the mix to start or play a major role. This year the holes aren't as gaping and I think it is going to be harder to find kids that see as much opportunity. I'm just not convinced our playing time sell is nearly as good and the interested takers will be smaller & we won't be able to be that picky on 1 yr vs 2yr.

But all that said, I think it gets real simple, you look at the kids that you can get & decide if they make you a better football team vs. adding a freshman...if they help you, then you take them.

#1,409      
Can someone explain to me why a committed kid would go out of his way to broadcast that he is playing footsie with a rival school?

You’re asking to delve into the rationale of why 18 year old kids do what they do on social media? There’s no answer for that.

And I don’t think we’re a rival school to Texas A&M. At least no one down there would see it that way.

#1,410      
I don't mind that this is not a sign that he is signing with the Beloved. It is nice to be reminded about Coach Patterson's connections to that particular community. Meeting with a kid you probably won't flip and reminding him who his "family" is makes sense, especially when you want to leave an impression on the ESL community that Illinois football is back.

I suppose count me in the group that's puzzled by this in-home. Not that i'm against it, but i'm curious about the benefit of it?

@Title are you able to provide any insight?

or @Twangers elaborate on your thoughts about the in-home?

#1,411      
And I don’t think we’re a rival school to Texas A&M. At least no one down there would see it that way.
So, A&M takes it for granted he will sign with them.

We show him the love all the way to signing day.

Love vs. Taken for granted. Hmmm...

#1,412      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
So, A&M takes it for granted he will sign with them.

We show him the love all the way to signing day.

Love vs. Taken for granted. Hmmm...
You have no knowledge of how much love A&M is showing him. Why are you assuming that TAMU is taking him for granted?

#1,414      
I suppose count me in the group that's puzzled by this in-home. Not that i'm against it, but i'm curious about the benefit of it?

@Title are you able to provide any insight?

or @Twangers elaborate on your thoughts about the in-home?

Illinois has a chance with AJ. Some of the Coaches on ESL staff is pushing for Illinois. He is committed to A&M but it is not 100% done yet.

#1,418      

Deleted member 654622

D
Everyone remember all the work AHS put into Bishop Dunn H.S. and that WR that didn't sign with us? We ended up with Calvin Avery, Kievan Meyers and THEE Marquis Beason over the next two years. Ya keep recruiting kids regardless

#1,420      
Everyone remember all the work AHS put into Bishop Dunn H.S. and that WR that didn't sign with us? We ended up with Calvin Avery, Kievan Meyers and THEE Marquis Beason over the next two years. Ya keep recruiting kids regardless

This.

ESL has a number of kids that are going to be fantastic recruits over the next 2-4 cycles. If we turn Cory loose out there and we only end up with 1 kid, that's still 1 kid our program wouldn't normally land. That should always be the end goal.

#1,421      

Deleted member 654622

D
Don't underestimate how EXTREMELY close I am to this situation.
So long as you don't underestimate how close I am to the program at College Station, deal.
Insider bout
tumblr_lpl11y0awQ1qci7aeo1_500.gif

#1,422      
Cool, I will take knowing the kid over knowing a college program! (Hint) lol.

I've been doing this a long time. If I had a dollar for every time someone knew a kid, I wouldn't have needed the job all these years. And that's not a shot at ya, truly, it's simply fact of life when it comes to HS recruiting. There's a friend, a cousin, an uncle (There's always an uncle) who just KNOWS what's going to happen and is more than willing to play the insider for ya. Then you get burned a few times and figure touching the stove isn't all that worth it. Johnson could flip tomorrow and this still wouldn't change.

Fun but tiring.

#1,425      
I've been doing this a long time. If I had a dollar for every time someone knew a kid, I wouldn't have needed the job all these years. And that's not a shot at ya, truly, it's simply fact of life when it comes to HS recruiting. There's a friend, a cousin, an uncle (There's always an uncle) who just KNOWS what's going to happen and is more than willing to play the insider for ya. Then you get burned a few times and figure touching the stove isn't all that worth it. Johnson could flip tomorrow and this still wouldn't change.

Fun but tiring.

The reality is that these are 16, 17, and 18 year old kids. I am around them every day as a teacher. Their minds change about things all the time. I suspect he will still sign with A&M this late in the game. While I appreciate your insights on some of these recruiting situations, your attitude needs to be more like 0440. He has insider knowledge but doesn't act like any other opinion or thought is wrong and stupid. To be honest, it gets a little annoying to see how condescending you can be. I still want to see your take on certain situations, but not at the expense of shutting everyone else down who might have a little hope that a kid who will probably have a hard time choosing what to eat at lunch today might still consider Illinois. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.