Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,727      
Wiggles is now asking for an edit. GA Tech. fans think he's gone:

here’s what I will say..

Lovies pitch, “take your time, do what’s right for you. Make sure that you are certain with your pick because it is an important life decision. Do what is right for you.”

Wiggles, “I’m going to take my time and not sign early”

GA tech, “what do you mean you aren’t signing on December 18? Are you not committed to us?”

Wiggles, “I’m signing December 18”

not the exact conversation, but it’s not far off.

#1,728      
I have a feeling Lovie will surprise people with the finish to this class. I also don't think it's over with any prospects they are in on. Just my opinion I think they get Doyle and Johnson along with some others.

#1,731      
I never thought either was realistic. I am more concerned about landing some of the DL targets and getting secondary help. If we do that and we have some rides left or they open up, getting transfers that come in, start, and make you immediately better is good for me. Especially if they have two years, such as the Michigan safety. I do think that next season is super important to really turning recruiting around. The staff may feel like kids in a candy store with so many open rides and will take some kids they are passing on right now but want.

#1,735      

Deleted member 654622

D
I never thought either was realistic. I am more concerned about landing some of the DL targets and getting secondary help. If we do that and we have some rides left or they open up, getting transfers that come in, start, and make you immediately better is good for me. Especially if they have two years, such as the Michigan safety. I do think that next season is super important to really turning recruiting around. The staff may feel like kids in a candy store with so many open rides and will take some kids they are passing on right now but want.
This is the most realistic outlook. But man it is just fun to think about actually being in on kids like Doyle and Johnson. It sure seems like we are on the cusp of pulling that kind of talent here soon. Fingers crossed

#1,737      

Deleted member 654622

D
Yes, but the second sentence is in past tense. It was realistic at one point, but it is no longer realistic. That's how I would read it.
How would say the twitter pic of him rocking a Texas A&M jacket this weekend is about all you need to know

#1,738      
How would say the twitter pic of him rocking a Texas A&M jacket this weekend is about all you need to know
I understand A&M has been good but, not a great program. Their donors probably give whatever it takes to win the SEC still, I see them as the little brother to a lot of the SEC teams. I will also state that I am not a Jimbo fan at all.

#1,740      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
I understand A&M has been good but, not a great program. Their donors probably give whatever it takes to win the SEC still, I see them as the little brother to a lot of the SEC teams. I will also state that I am not a Jimbo fan at all.
Well, unfortunately, it's not you that we're recruiting. ;)

#1,741      
This is the most realistic outlook. But man it is just fun to think about actually being in on kids like Doyle and Johnson. It sure seems like we are on the cusp of pulling that kind of talent here soon. Fingers crossed
I think a couple of winning seasons back to back help that, a lot.

#1,742      
For anyone looking for feel better, Manny Diaz and Miami have suffered 18 de-commitments this year. Imagine how their fanbase and boosters are right now.
18!? Idk that we’ve had even half that over Lovies tenure

#1,743      

Deleted member 654622

D
For anyone looking for feel better, Manny Diaz and Miami have suffered 18 de-commitments this year. Imagine how their fanbase and boosters are right now.
tumblr_mtume35hvF1qlc4ozo1_400.gif

In your face offensive lineman that was 110% committed to us but then went to Mia whos name I don't care to remember

#1,744      

reopseed60

Naples, Florida
To me, if we get Riggins it will be similar to us getting Corey Liuget years back. Not sure if Riggins has THAT type of ceiling, but very nice player. I still wonder how we convinced Liuget to leave the state of Florida. Great player and even better person.
If I remember His Mother wanted away from the "Maimi" problems

#1,747      
The fact we are getting close with these guys when we had 0 chance before is a good sign, sometimes it just takes some time and things flip your way. I think of recruiting a bit like fantasy football, there is skill and luck involved and sometimes you get unlucky. Let's get to 7+ wins next year and I think our tide will turn.

#1,748      

In a lot of ways, Texas A&M has a lot going for them. First, it is in the state of Texas. Football is king in Texas. Second, it is the only SEC school in Texas. Whether we agree or not, the SEC is considered by many (not me) to be the flagship conference for football. Then you look at the alumni base (one of the most supportive and rabid bases in the country), the donors for the athletic department, the facilities, the culture, the weather, etc... Plus you look at their tradition (more recent), in the past 10 years they have not won less than 7 games. They have had a season with 11 wins. It is one of the best schools in the SEC. It is not hard to sell the program.

#1,749      
The fact we are getting close with these guys when we had 0 chance before is a good sign, sometimes it just takes some time and things flip your way. I think of recruiting a bit like fantasy football, there is skill and luck involved and sometimes you get unlucky. Let's get to 7+ wins next year and I think our tide will turn.
Technically, at our level of success, it only takes one or two for us to be really happy (i.e., last year). After we get back to back to back bowl games, i will start to dream bigger.

#1,750      
In a lot of ways, Texas A&M has a lot going for them. First, it is in the state of Texas. Football is king in Texas. Second, it is the only SEC school in Texas. Whether we agree or not, the SEC is considered by many (not me) to be the flagship conference for football. Then you look at the alumni base (one of the most supportive and rabid bases in the country), the donors for the athletic department, the facilities, the culture, the weather, etc... Plus you look at their tradition (more recent), in the past 10 years they have not won less than 7 games. They have had a season with 11 wins. It is one of the best schools in the SEC. It is not hard to sell the program.

I agree, but my opinion is mostly SEC + Jimbo getting guys to the NFL, it's hard to beat them. Lovie hasn't really sent guys to the NFL yet, even though he coached at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.