Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,951      
I am not sure we should go after a 3 star transfer wide receiver. I think we have two great freshman wr's coming in along with 2 4 star vets coming back and a 5 star vet coming back in BeBe. We also have Cumby, Campbell and a few other stellar WR's. I think we should go after Art Green a six two Safety. WR is one of the strongest positions on the team. We should seek more WR's or QB's.

If this year proves anything it’s that you can never have enough explosive weapons on the outside. Art green isn’t great tbh. Their is a reason Tennessee dropped him.

#1,953      
But if you think Robinson was the was more ready and the more viable option than Williams, you are being fooled by the pay sites and what they're payed (directed) to tell you... 🤷‍♂️
OMG, is this a fake news conspiracy theory? Is Josh pulling the strings? I'll bet it's Josh, isn't it!? /s

#1,954      
I'm confident you'll get your chance to find out your way in the future but Lovie is an old school coach and stuck in a lot of his ways...
I think most college HC prefer experience over freshmen all things being relatively even — and Lovie as an old school coach probably more so than others. But it isn’t like he’s been sitting 5 star freshmen. I hope we do get a chance to find out soon if you’re right because that means Illinois is signing 4 and 5 star recruits who are ready to play rather than 3 stars who need time in weight room and for development.

#1,955      
I disagree. William's was much more further along and developed by midseason and was an the most viable option against Michigan and NW. This was a strong sediment in that locker room and for those outside of it close to the program. Williams lacked the game experience and the unwillingness to burn that redshirt and deal with the public backlash of potentially doing so had IW taken off, knowing Peter's was your set-in-stone starter when healthy, was what lead to the internal struggle and indecision with Robinson over William's.

But if you think Robinson was the was more ready and the more viable option than Williams, you are being fooled by the pay sites and what they're payed (directed) to tell you... 🤷‍♂️

IW didn’t even know the full playbook. Idk what info your hearing but it isn’t accurate.

#1,958      
I disagree. William's was much more further along and developed by midseason and was an the most viable option against Michigan and NW. This was a strong sediment in that locker room and for those outside of it close to the program. Williams lacked the game experience and the unwillingness to burn that redshirt and deal with the public backlash of potentially doing so had IW taken off, knowing Peter's was your set-in-stone starter when healthy, was what lead to the internal struggle and indecision with Robinson over William's.

they made the right call. If Williams gets in Robinson and Taylor leave. Plus, if Williams crushes it then Peters leaves. And we had a good enough Qb. Next year will be different, if Williams takes over after peters gets hurt/falters, then we still have peters for the year, Robinson, and spann in the wings. We needed to shore up the qb spot.

#1,959      
Chance? Like from Homeword Bound?
Ironically I share the same name, but different spelling. You would think I could remember it. Then again those were forgetful times. I never want Illini football to be that bad again. Our Qb room has come along way from those days.

#1,960      

IlliniFan85

Colorado Springs, CO
Alright, can we get back on the topic of recruiting and not this years current team or next years team with current players. This is supposed to be for recruiting news and how they fit into the identity of our team going forward. We should be learning about what is good or bad about a recruit. We dont need pages upon pages about our current team in this thread. Sorry. But someone had to say it.

#1,962      

Deleted member 656517

D
My guy has Informed me that riggins is in if he qualifies. Newton is leaning out. Bailey is out if Minnesota takes him and levelston is going to smu.
"If he qualifies" tells me he's off the map. I don't understand why Bailey would old onto Minny "if they want him." He's very wanted from us, but then again he's a kid so who really knows?

#1,963      

BZuppke

Plainfield
For you recruiting experts - how do feel about our running back stable? Quantity/quality?

#1,966      
For you recruiting experts - how do feel about our running back stable? Quantity/quality?
Interesting question. I’m going to take my interpretation and run with it. I’m no expert, and couldn’t stay at a holiday inn last night.
Taking a cue from NFL, RB is replaceable. However, I think you need depth due to health, and probably talent of a certain skill level due to wider disparity found at college relative to NFL.
I think the scheme and oline has a big part of effectiveness of backs.
I think we have backs for two different scheme types...pro style QB (Peters and Robinson type)....Grind out the yards inside with backs like Bonner, Fedanzo?, Dre Brown, Epstein, (Dre Chase? and Mike more balanced....and probably ideal type, but for this exercise placed here.
and RPO scheme(IW, Taylor, and Spann).
Smaller, shiftier, better in space...backs better for spread a la Corbin and Norwood. Love?
Seems like we are good for grinding Yards more next year and set up for spread in future. grab 1-2 every year in future classes, 4 ready every year, 6 total on roster and focus on fit for scheme and oline development.

#1,970      
Riggins is looking really good. Also the staff is in on a DB that is currently committed elsewhere but I can tell you that he’s a nice prospect. Would be in our top 6 on 247.

If you’re talking about the JuCo kid (Not Green), he’s just ok and our shot is long.

#1,972      
Fine with Martin moving to S. He has position versatilty and I think he'll be good at CB as well but offers a lot of potential at S as well. Hobbs no. You don't move arguably the best CB in the B1G and one of the best in the nation to S unless you want to do something crazy like Witherspoon, Beason, Hobbs, Brown (Assuming no Johnson and no impact S transfer).

Sorry too omit Adams here. It would be Adams, Beason, Hobbs, Brown. Adams is quietly turning himself into an early round DB prospect if he can stay completely healthy and one of the top 5 returning CB in the B1G. Still wouldn't move Hobbs though as Adams is the one who has already flashed All B1G potential as a S. Don't think they're going to move either one though.

#1,975      
My guy has Informed me that riggins is in if he qualifies. Newton is leaning out. Bailey is out if Minnesota takes him and levelston is going to smu.

Bailey could swing back our way, if we make room for him. Minny is prioritizing another DE over him. Also, his recruiter/DL coach Panagos is jumping ship or in this case boat for Rutgers. This week will be fun :illinois:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.