Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovie needs to upgrade the staff recruiting-wise. Also they need to work to shut down recruitments earlier. A lot the top kids are done with their recruitments Spring/Mid summer. Locking down Collier so early was a good sign

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Lovie needs to upgrade the staff recruiting-wise. Also they need to work to shut down recruitments earlier. A lot the top kids are done with their recruitments Spring/Mid summer. Locking down Collier so early was a good sign
*buzzkill*

giphy.gif

Also we need more out of the staff if it's going to stand pat. You can't have 2 guys basically 100% devoted to Texas in Hayes-Stoker and Price and not get anything. You also have another guy who I think spends time down in Texas (Myles) who got us nothing. Bellamy needs to get us more in-state if that's his focus.

I get that Ligs is special teams focused, but hurts us to not have him be a good recruiting presence for other prospects. ST Coaches can be a good spot for a strong recruiter - remember the days of Greg Mcmahon?

Seems like burden of recruiting is falling on Austin Clark and CPatt. Rod Smith and Bob Mclain did well getting their positions of need. Keynodo didn't get us any DBs this cycle - and not sure how much of role he played in FLA - seems like Austin Clark was key for a lot of the Fla kids

Also we need more out of the staff if it's going to stand pat. You can't have 2 guys basically 100% devoted to Texas in Hayes-Stoker and Price and not get anything. You also have another guy who I think spends time down in Texas (Myles) who got us nothing. Bellamy needs to get us more in-state if that's his focus.

I get that Ligs is special teams focused, but hurts us to not have him be a good recruiting presence for other prospects. ST Coaches can be a good spot for a strong recruiter - remember the days of Greg Mcmahon?

Seems like burden of recruiting is falling on Austin Clark and CPatt. Rod Smith and Bob Mclain did well getting their positions of need. Keynodo didn't get us any DBs this cycle - and not sure how much of role he played in FLA - seems like Austin Clark was key for a lot of the Fla kids
AHS just got us Collier, Price is only recruiting because of Gil, I also think a lot of people assume coaches only recruit their positions which isn't true at all. Keynodo helped with a couple kids who weren't DBs.

You can relax now. With Newton's signing Illini are 60th and 13th in the B1G. //s

I don't know much about football recruiting, but I always assumed this would be a process. One .500 season wasn't going to lead to 4 and 5*s beating down the door this year -- especially given where Illinois football was at. But I would assume it will help with the next class -- even more so if next year is another bowling year. And then the year after as well. Need to give the staff time to build relationships with these kids, and based on this year's on-field performance they'll have more and better recruits willing to truly consider the Illini for their college career.
Never said I would expect it to lead to a bunch of 4/5 stars. But there was plenty of talk about getting some higher profile guys "if we could only get to a bowl game." Maybe that was a little cart before the horse, or wishful thinking, but this is a class that we were supposed to be picky--focusing on more highly touted kids. If you basically have to focus on half the scholarships you normally do, I would expect the class to overall be better. I do think we have some solid signings, but the ball was dropped in some major recruitments in areas crucial for success (past 2020).

Not trying to paint this class as a failure by any means, I just felt like we should've seen at least a couple bigger names sign on.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL

Just because they didn't get anyone this cycle, doesn't mean it's not worthwhile to recruit those areas. Even though AHS didn't get Reggie Roberson in 2017, it helped lay the ground work to get Calvin Avery and Kievan Meyers in 2018 and Marquez Beason last year. Last year we only got one player out of Florida, this year we got six.

AHS just got us Collier, Price is only recruiting because of Gil, I also think a lot of people assume coaches only recruit their positions which isn't true at all. Keynodo helped with a couple kids who weren't DBs.

Price is also here for a specific purpose that would never have been realized in 2020.

Small class, but looks like we got needed help in the OL and DL. Got a good QB for the future and other needs. How many ships do we have left for the other signing period?

Congrats to all the recruits that want to play for the Illini! What jumps out at me that there are no recruits signed from Illinois. Hopefully Thompson honors his commitment. Winning should cure this trend.

I am wracking my brain to understand why someone who is fully committed to the University of Illinois football program would wait to sign next year - one single holdout - our highest rated recruit. I am surely overlooking something.

Congrats to all the recruits that want to play for the Illini! What jumps out at me that there are no recruits signed from Illinois. Hopefully Thompson honors his commitment. Winning should cure this trend.

Not sure why this matters, outside of perception. Midwest states don't play the in-state game, they play the border game.

Hill and Bermudez have signed elsewhere. On to the transfers portal we go.

Wow. That's crazy, I was told Hill was shopping offers.

He can start at CMU though, so good for him.

This doesn't change anything for us though, he's a project and the Bermudez kid has been out for a long time now. 2020 was always going to need other avenues for aide. Or maybe it doesn't.

Wow. That's crazy, I was told Hill was shopping offers.

He can start at CMU though, so good for him.

This doesn't change anything for us though, he's a project and the Bermudez kid has been out for a long time now. 2020 was always going to need other avenues for aide. Or maybe it doesn't.
I’m hearing the staff has eyes on Mayala kid still tho idk how much we need him at this point. Also some rumblings about some late pushes for guys still in the HS ranks.

I’m hearing the staff has eyes on Ayala kid still tho idk how much we need him at this point. Also some rumblings about some late pushes for guys still in the HS ranks.

You mean Mayala right, the kid from Atlanta? I wouldn't know, no good contacts there. He's not bad though.

Still time to find a hidden gem in this class but as of now it looks like Illinois has failed to land a P5 quality HS safety in back to back classes.

Still time to find a hidden gem in this class but as of now it looks like Illinois has failed to land a P5 quality HS safety in back to back classes.

Of all the failures in the life of HS recruiting, this one is far down the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.