Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Unije would be a blast from the past. I would welcome him back as hopefully a year of growth would make him more ready to contribute, and if Butkus was the issue, well, not an issue anymore.

MoCoMdIllini

Montgomery County, Maryland
Now there are 14 Stanford football players in the transfer portal. Let's transition from USC Northeast to Stanford East.
From the Fight On Illini to the...Come Join the <strike>Band</strike> Fight?

Unije would be a blast from the past. I would welcome him back as hopefully a year of growth would make him more ready to contribute, and if Butkus was the issue, well, not an issue anymore.

ultimately, I think it will come down to how he left.Did he communicatE and express frustration? Or did he just get fed up and leave? I have a feeling we won’t consider him again. But his tape looked pretty dominant

Deleted member 654622

D
Gents, since I spend almost as much time talking to you as I do my wife, I wanna wish you and yours a Merry Christmas.
MERRY CHRISTMAS ILLINIOS LOYALTY!
tumblr_mfkonggF2i1rzbvsto1_400.gif

Thanks Dude. Merry Christmas to you and all of Illini Nation.

We will get our recruits. I would hope we get a couple of Beason type commits for the 21 class. He was all in when he committed. I don't think he wavered at all.

Krombopulos_Michael

Aurora, Illinois (that’s a suburb of Chicago)
But wouldn’t those same schools be competing for Wisconsin’s top talent?
In theory, yes. In actuality, no. They are THE program within the state, with major buy-in from high school coaches, parents, and future players. Even if Lovie could be our Barry Alvarez type that changes perception of the program and gains some major buy-in from those around the state, we will never be the only show in town.
You could also argue that the biggest recruiting rival for them is Minnesota, and they both routinely poach players from the other state.

But wouldn’t those same schools be competing for Wisconsin’s top talent?

The state of Illinois is too heterogenous. The south is way different than the north. Not to mention the chicago area is full of alumni from many different universities.

Also, to twangers point, we play border recruiting battles. Michigan and Indiana are not so close to Wisconsin, not like Illinois. Iowa and Minnesota make plays in Wisconsin (and they steal good talent). Also, we easily have 2 or 3 times more prospects, Illinois can’t recruit everyone in Illinois, not the way Wisconsin mostly can.

Also, when you are in a non populous state, it’s not hard to manage all relationships to most high schools.

The state of Illinois is too heterogenous. The south is way different than the north. Not to mention the chicago area is full of alumni from many different universities.

Also, to twangers point, we play border recruiting battles. Michigan and Indiana are not so close to Wisconsin, not like Illinois. Iowa and Minnesota make plays in Wisconsin (and they steal good talent). Also, we easily have 2 or 3 times more prospects, Illinois can’t recruit everyone in Illinois, not the way Wisconsin mostly can.

Also, when you are in a non populous state, it’s not hard to manage all relationships to most high schools.
First, Merry Christmas to all Illini fans.
I understand all the doom and gloom regarding the poor Illinois in state recruiting, but folks this can change and I think it will with success on the field, such as winning the West or atleast fighting to win it coming down to the last game. Illini coaches need to establish better relationships with Illinois High School coaches and not just Texas and Florida coaches, although I certainly hope and expect we will continue to recruit Texas, Florida and soon California. The coaching staff needs to also make it a priority to visit football powerhouse in state programs as regularly as the NCAA allows. I think in two years Illinois will do a fine job recruiting top in state recruits, by then Illinois should have gone to two bowls including hopefully a "Big Time Bowl".
All is not lost my friends.

Last edited:
First, Merry Christmas to all Illini fans.
I understand all the doom and gloom regarding the poor Illinois in state recruiting, but folks this can change and I think it will with success on the field, such as winning the West or atleast fighting to win it coming down to the last game. Illini coaches need to establish better relationships with Illinois High School coaches and not just Texas and Florida coaches, although I certainly hope and expect we will continue to recruit Texas, Florida and soon California. The coaching staff needs to also make it a priority to visit football powerhouse in state programs as regularly as the NCAA allows. I think in two years Illinois will do a fine job recruiting top in state recruits, by then Illinois should have gone to two bowls including hopefully a "Big Time Bowl".
All is not lost my friends.
Im not saying we give up on Illinois, but we will never lock down the in state talent. And, we don’t need to lock it down. At this point, we just need improvements. Add 3-5 top 10 in state prospects. Hold onto what we have in St. Louis and build into Indiana. Then we will have some strong classes

reopseed60

Naples, Florida
There is also another point that will never be changed.....O'hare field.... Western teams recruiting for a eastern player makes a stop over in cHicago and hits up an Illinois prospect and continues East and vi sa versa, does not add to the cost of recuiting and gives the illinois prospect as well the original prospect
visibility....

Doesn’t everyone in Chicago retire to Florida? Consider it a trade.
We only got the 77th, 81st, 90th, 94th, 167th and 263rd ranked recruits from Florida. I'm sure that many non-P5 schools did much made a bigger dent in their talent than Illinois. Don't get me wrong. Riggins, Newton, Cooper and Spann look to be solid recruits, but you don't catch up with Minnesota, Iowa, NW, Indiana, MSU or keep slightly ahead of Rutgers, Purdue with that level of recruiting while losing far better in state recruits, especially in the OL and DL.

We only got the 77th, 81st, 90th, 94th, 167th and 263rd ranked recruits from Florida. I'm sure that many non-P5 schools did much made a bigger dent in their talent than Illinois. Don't get me wrong. Riggins, Newton, Cooper and Spann look to be solid recruits, but you don't catch up with Minnesota, Iowa, NW, Indiana, MSU or keep slightly ahead of Rutgers, Purdue with that level of recruiting while losing far better in state recruits, especially in the OL and DL.

appreciate your posts. And we just place 4th in the big west and 8th in the big ten with the kind of recruits we have had. Although we certainly want more, I think Lovie and co showed that it could be done, for at least 1 season. I’m trusting their ability to find players and produce with them. In some ways, this class looks better than some of the early classes that got us to a middle of the big ten.

appreciate your posts. And we just place 4th in the big west and 8th in the big ten with the kind of recruits we have had. Although we certainly want more, I think Lovie and co showed that it could be done, for at least 1 season. I’m trusting their ability to find players and produce with them. In some ways, this class looks better than some of the early classes that got us to a middle of the big ten.

I look at Witherspoon and Washington. Both showed they can play B1G ball. Not highly rated but, played in states where football is king.

Status
Not open for further replies.