Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

philcon

Plano, TX
He's quite small, so I assume his athleticism must be off the charts. Are we talking like Kyron Cumby speed or IWill shiftiness here? No idea but I've seen this staff uncover enough hidden gems that I trust their judgement on these for the most part.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that.....

There are some potential surprise signees. The ones that are in the staffs sights are committed to group of five schools. They are hit or miss type players, not Witherspoon like talent, from what I gather.

illini80

Forgottonia
There are some potential surprise signees. The ones that are in the staffs sights are committed to group of five schools. They are hit or miss type players, not Witherspoon like talent, from what I gather.
Thanks for the info. This thread has certainly quieted down since Twangers exit. Will these stay quiet until signing day?

Deleted member 656517

D
Thanks for the info. This thread has certainly quieted down since Twangers exit. Will these stay quiet until signing day?
Most likely. Ever since the early signing period started it took a lot of wind out the sails in this thread

Twangers exit. Basketball doing so well. The recruiting is quiet for 2020.

These names will stay quiet for a few reasons. 1. They are currently committed to lower tier universities. 2. The offers will only be committable based on some of the other players we are targeting.

I'm not hearing good things about our current commit. Not sure he will be able to sign.

Also, we are looking like a finalist for one of the transfers we want. I'm expecting good news on the transfer front.

illini80

Forgottonia
Twangers exit. Basketball doing so well. The recruiting is quiet for 2020.

These names will stay quiet for a few reasons. 1. They are currently committed to lower tier universities. 2. The offers will only be committable based on some of the other players we are targeting.

I'm not hearing good things about our current commit. Not sure he will be able to sign.

Also, we are looking like a finalist for one of the transfers we want. I'm expecting good news on the transfer front.
That will hurt. Hope it comes through. Wonder if he will keep working towards it or sign elsewhere.

That will hurt. Hope it comes through. Wonder if he will keep working towards it or sign elsewhere.

it will depend on whether it’s because of us, or because of his grades can’t get him in to any school. I’ve heard rumblings of him going the prep route, but I don’t know

Deleted member 654622

D
I am disappointed that we are back to non power 5 player recruiting again. I know I know, there are talented players there but come on. This isn't ideal

I hope we can land some nice level transfers

Deleted member 656517

D
I'd like us to throw more offers out there in the future. When you look at every other schools offer list on 247 they practically triple us. I get the whole "we're making you a priority thing," but every school says that.
I am disappointed that we are back to non power 5 player recruiting again. I know I know, there are talented players there but come on. This isn't ideal

Last year, I thought, it was the portal that saved our football soul - or at least elevated it.

Why are we expecting anything different this year? IF at all the Bowl trip should make a difference next year. But, I for one, very much doubt that it would make a big difference.

We made the postseason this year. But, I very much doubt we are considered a consistent 6 game team. Yet.

Last year, I thought, it was the portal that saved our football soul - or at least elevated it.

Why are we expecting anything different this year? IF at all the Bowl trip should make a difference next year. But, I for one, very much doubt that it would make a big difference.

We made the postseason this year. But, I very much doubt we are considered a consistent 6 game team. Yet.

I agree, bombay. Without transfer immediate help we're one injury or ejection away from disaster due to poor overall prep recruiting and development of talent. The question is whether Lovie can keep up the flow of formerly 4* and 5* transfers, his "foundation" from his prep recruiting will just sink into the quagmire.

From looking over our recruiting class and comparing to even other rebuilding B1G programs, the staffing, wasting $80 million on a big fancy building that didn't turn a single 4* talent, going to a bowl and having amongst the highest B1G recruiting budgets pretty much was just a waste when it came to recruiting. We couldn't get more than a 3* QB and RB when we needed immediate help (or at least depth). Next year we'll have a bottom half of B1G RB roster. one QB, two WRs, and virtually no depth at OL without transfers. Our top returning LB had a serious injury, and the rest have yet to show both skill AND athletic talent on the field. DT is a big ???? and we NEED to get better transfers at DT to be competitive.

As I posted earlier, best case is Peters and BheBhe staying healthy and winning 7 or 8 games, after which Lovie retires with millions more than he had a few years ago and someone who knows how to build an excellent recruiting and developmental staff is hired.....

Well, let’s see what happens.potentially losing Thompson is tough, because he committed early and didn’t waver. If he ends up failing to qualify we will find our best option. Lovie hasn’t been a great Hs recruiter, but he didn’t have much to work with. When he came, our reputation was laughable. He also didn’t have experience with college recruiting. He also takes a high integrity approach, which many of us like as a mentor, but isn’t as helpful with recruiting. His approach will pay considerable dividends if we can show continuous improvement. I’m still expecting a great class for 2021. this class didn’t have high end talent, but had a lot of solid pickups when you look at the offer lists. but I feel you with Wanting it to be better

Also, just an aside, we have had a lot of great prospects on campus for 2021 and 2022 the past several weekends. we are in good position for good classes

I guess for me it depends on which programs. We have gotten beat by non Power 5 teams over the years, as have many bigger and “better” teams.

Deleted member 654622

D
I am too lazy to go post the tweets, but apparently we had some 2021/2022 (I think) recruits on visits this weekend

Also, just an aside, we have had a lot of great prospects on campus for 2021 and 2022 the past several weekends. we are in good position for good classes
I think 2021 will be interesting. Werner last week saying something about it is still too early to make much of the 2021 class, but last year at this point he felt better about where we stood on some of our higher end prospects at this point, that we ultimately ended up missing on. Going to be the first full size class in a few years and will be interesting to see where the average player ranking ends up when we have to find 25 kids, instead of 10-15. The 2021 class just seems to be important to reload. Need to take a step up this year on the field & hope the new staff is able to grind it out on the recruiting trail and make 2021 a good year.

I'd like us to throw more offers out there in the future. When you look at every other schools offer list on 247 they practically triple us. I get the whole "we're making you a priority thing," but every school says that.
I doubt that many fans want the team to simply "throw more offers out", but you make a valid point. This situation has existed since Lovie became the head coach. It is caused, I believe, because Lovie has always had some assistants on his staff who aren't very good at recruiting and/or don't put sufficient time and effort into recruiting. My hunch is that such assistants don't last long at other schools that want and need to improve the talent and depth on their roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.