Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

BTW, NIU only signed 3 players from IL in 2020, and one of them is a 2-star. It's not like the mid-level schools are cleaning up Illinois either.

All the players you cited were true frosh and all of them redshirted. In that context, care to elaborate?
If you do not have backup qb's for example who are used properly you have to substitute a qb who cannot pass or run on the Bigten level as the Illini did. There will be a dropoff in most cases, but it should be like dropping off a step ladder not the Sears Tower as was the case when Peters was replaced by the sophomore from California. I am not sure what you mean by burning their redshirt, but if you mean they lost a year of elgibility, it is my understanding that a player has to play more than 4 games and I don't think any of the players mentioned played more than 4 games.
If you are saying they kept their eligibility I say that a coach has to do whatever it takes including using up a redshirt to give the team the best chance to win individual games. I am glad Vontae Davis, Simeon Rice and others played early. Not saying the players I mentioned are future hall of famers, but winning teams have backups ready and play them. Next man up means having a player ready when his number is called.

If you do not have backup qb's for example who are used properly you have to substitute a qb who cannot pass or run on the Bigten level as the Illini did. There will be a dropoff in most cases, but it should be like dropping off a step ladder not the Sears Tower as was the case when Peters was replaced by the sophomore from California. I am not sure what you mean by burning their redshirt, but if you mean they lost a year of elgibility, it is my understanding that a player has to play more than 4 games and I don't think any of the players mentioned played more than 4 games.
If you are saying they kept their eligibility I say that a coach has to do whatever it takes including using up a redshirt to give the team the best chance to win individual games. I am glad Vontae Davis, Simeon Rice and others played early. Not saying the players I mentioned are future hall of famers, but winning teams have backups ready and play them. Next man up means having a player ready when his number is called.
I'm sorry but you lost me with this. Our backups are not as talented as Vonte Davis and Simeon Rice. That is why they are backups. They will be more ready to play as redshirt seniors over true freshmen. They need to build muscle and adapt to the college level. The best way for EVERYONE is to do that in practice. Otherwise we are back to winning three games a year.
The QB room was TERRIBLE when Rod got here. He snagged Matt since he was the best option at the time. IW and Spann are great examples of where we are at. Much better talent than we have had, just too young currently.
Lovie killed the depth of this roster and it's just now getting close to filling back up....close. It's about the talent on the roster.

Cincinnati, OH
Top 20 State of Illinois Prospects for the past five years (2016-2020)

Iowa - 14
Michigan State - 8
Northwestern - 8
Illinois - 7 (4 in 2014)
Notre Dame - 6
Wisconsin - 5
Iowa State - 4
Minnesota - 4
Purdue - 3
Michigan - 2
Cincinnati - 2
Ole Miss - 2
NIU - 2
Penn State - 2
Duke - 2
Missouri - 2
Too many to mention - 1

And just to give a comparison to a state with somewhat similar talent, neighboring state, and one especially of interest to Illinois football, here is the same for the State of Missouri.

Missouri - 14
Illinois - 8
Minnesota - 5
Oklahoma - 4
Ohio State - 4
Iowa State - 4
Kansas State - 3
Nebraska - 3
Arkansas - 3
West Virginia - 2
Clemson - 2
Texas - 2
Kansas - 2
WMU - 2
Michigan - 2
Notre Dame - 2
Stanford - 2
Too many to mention - 1

Last edited:

Iowa - 14
Michigan State - 8
Northwestern - 8
Illinois - 7 (4 in 2014)
Notre Dame - 6
Wisconsin - 5
Iowa State - 4
Minnesota - 4
Purdue - 3
Michigan - 2
Cincinnati - 2
Ole Miss - 2
NIU - 2
Penn State - 2
Duke - 2
Missouri - 2
Too many to mention - 1

And just to give a comparison to a state with somewhat similar talent, neighboring state, and one especially of interest to Illinois football, here is the same for the State of Missouri.

Missouri - 14
Illinois - 8
Minnesota - 5
Oklahoma - 4
Ohio State - 4
Iowa State - 4
Kansas State - 3
Nebraska - 3
Arkansas - 3
West Virginia - 2
Clemson - 2
Texas - 2
Kansas - 2
WMU - 2
Michigan - 2
Notre Dame - 2
Stanford - 2
Too many to mention - 1
Great stuff. I'm actually amazed that Michigan hasn't taken more from both states.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

Iowa - 14
Michigan State - 8
Northwestern - 8
Illinois - 7 (4 in 2014)
Notre Dame - 6
Wisconsin - 5
Iowa State - 4
Minnesota - 4
Purdue - 3
Michigan - 2
Cincinnati - 2
Ole Miss - 2
NIU - 2
Penn State - 2
Duke - 2
Missouri - 2
Too many to mention - 1

Missouri - 14
Illinois - 8
Minnesota - 5
Oklahoma - 4
Ohio State - 4
Iowa State - 4
Kansas State - 3
Nebraska - 3
Arkansas - 3
West Virginia - 2
Clemson - 2
Texas - 2
Kansas - 2
WMU - 2
Michigan - 2
Notre Dame - 2
Stanford - 2
Too many to mention - 1
Given the relative state of our program the past several years before this past season it's actually not as terrible as some are making out to be. Yes, it needs to be better, but I think it will be with more on the field success. Last season and this coming one should help a lot with this.

Just North of the Southern border!
From 2016-20

Iowa pulled 29, top 20 (actually mostly top 10) players out of the State of Iowa.

Illinois got none from the State of Iowa (top 20).

Illinois got 7/100 top 20 players from the STate of Illinois.

Last edited:
Is the Alma Otter the Clemson Tiger wanting to be a Fighting Illini? Maybe we could be the Fighting Otters. That might brings cries from the PETA Group.

you feel me, dog?
Elmhurst
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobster, drank Piña Coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over...
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Congrats, you win the interwebz for the day!

RIP Mel Tucker wearing shorts on the sideline. You will be missed.