Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both those teams had 10 wins....we kinda lucked into 6 wins. Also we are consistently late on offering kids and are outworked big time on the trail. And most of the time it’s not the assistants fault. I want Lovie to succeed but he has to lose his ego and change his attitude towards recruiting.
Exactly. It's one thing to hold to your convictions, but at some point you have to realize when your approach is not working and be able to adjust. I'm not seeing that out of Lovie

Looks like we are out of the running on Tyler McLaurin too according to his twitter announcement.

CP, McClain, Bellamy, AHS, Hudson aren’t lazy on the Trail. Lovie very lazy and doesn’t understand recruiting.
I would say somethingdifferent, but it’s not important. Overall, we are good with transfers and bad with prep recruits. I think it has more to do with how much emphasis Lovie places on evaluation, as he often waits for senior tape. But we both agree that he is missing quite a bit with prep recruits

I think there are plenty of complaints to be had about lovies recruiting but some of you are making it sound like lovie is going to take us back to the Beckman era or something. He's brought in the type of talent that we haven't had in years. Who cares if he's stocking the team with 2 or 3 year transfers as long as we keep making it to bowl games.

Lovie might not be the guy to take us to the rose bowl but I think we will consistently get 6 or 7 wins while he's around. For some of you that won't be good enough but considering we haven't made it to 3 bowls in a row since the 80's I'll take it.

I think there are plenty of complaints to be had about lovies recruiting but some of you are making it sound like lovie is going to take us back to the Beckman era or something. He's brought in the type of talent that we haven't had in years. Who cares if he's stocking the team with 2 or 3 year transfers as long as we keep making it to bowl games.

Lovie might not be the guy to take us to the rose bowl but I think we will consistently get 6 or 7 wins while he's around. For some of you that won't be good enough but considering we haven't made it to 3 bowls in a row since the 80's I'll take it.
I think a good season this season will quell some. Particularly with our success on the transfer market. But It’s not to underscore our need to improve prep recruiting. Unfortunately,from what I hear, I don’t think Lovie sees himself to have a prep recruiting problem. He likes the people he is bringing in and from where Lovie sits, I think he feels like the class is about where he wants it, with some people, such as trav ion ford, just choosing not to come here.

This is year 5 and we have an experienced roster. If we win 7 or 8 this year I will agree with you and will be willing to live with a couple 4-5 win seasons after while we rebuild. If we win 4 or 5 this year with his best team, then it's time to cut bait and recognize it ain't going to happen with Lovie

This is year 5 and we have an experienced roster. If we win 7 or 8 this year I will agree with you and will be willing to live with a couple 4-5 win seasons after while we rebuild. If we win 4 or 5 this year with his best team, then it's time to cut bait and recognize it ain't going to happen with Lovie
If we don’t qualify for a bowl, Lovie should be gone. I would almost guarantee that. I think back to back bowls keeps him. 7 or 8 wins in season would grant an extension. 6 would keep him in the bubble. He will get a pass year in 2021 with 4 to 5 wins. But I think he is working to set that roster right now with transfers.

Cincinnati, OH
If we don’t qualify for a bowl, Lovie should be gone. I would almost guarantee that. I think back to back bowls keeps him. 7 or 8 wins in season would grant an extension. 6 would keep him in the bubble. He will get a pass year in 2021 with 4 to 5 wins. But I think he is working to set that roster right now with transfers.

Regardless to what happens in 2020, Lovie is either getting fired or an extension. The culture of coaching contracts and recruiting necessitates that UI will make a decision on his future this year. Passing it on until the next year to make that decision is impractical. Maybe the unprecedented pandemic will change that (delayed or canceled season).

Cincinnati, OH
I'm also not thrilled on the lack of attention being paid to high school prospects. I do enjoy how much Lovie has embraced the transfers, as it raises the floor of the program, but ignoring prep recruits is a decision to lower the ceiling. This means that having a successful season (8-4 w/ bowl game) is no longer capitalized on with creating a strong base on incoming freshmen recruits.

Both those teams had 10 wins....we kinda lucked into 6 wins. Also we are consistently late on offering kids and are outworked big time on the trail. And most of the time it’s not the assistants fault. I want Lovie to succeed but he has to lose his ego and change his attitude towards recruiting.
Outworked big time on the trail, but not generally the assistants fault, don't go together. There are only so many days/hours that one coach can be "on the trail."

Regardless to what happens in 2020, Lovie is either getting fired or an extension. The culture of coaching contracts and recruiting necessitates that UI will make a decision on his future this year. Passing it on until the next year to make that decision is impractical. Maybe the unprecedented pandemic will change that (delayed or canceled season).
Yes. I agree with this. But the extension means less with a 6 win season than it does with a 10 win season. That was the point I was trying to make.

I'm also not thrilled on the lack of attention being paid to high school prospects. I do enjoy how much Lovie has embraced the transfers, as it raises the floor of the program, but ignoring prep recruits is a decision to lower the ceiling. This means that having a successful season (8-4 w/ bowl game) is no longer capitalized on with creating a strong base on incoming freshmen recruits.
I agree. This is a problem. Particularly the insistence on seeing senior film. It puts us behind the 8-ball and I don’t see this changing.

What I’ll say about prep recruiting is that we are looking really good at offensive line, we have solid pieces that can grow into a big ten role. I like where we are with a handful of defensive linemen and linebackers. I’m not confident on our position with running backs, but it’s our position of least need.

I like where we stand with some tight ends and the lbs are fast and could move to safety.
I’d like to see more wr and cb movement.

Deleted member 656517

D
I like what Lovie's doing on the recruiting trail. Sure he doesn't get the huge splash's consistantly like we hoped, but he attracts a specific mindset player. "Attitude reflects leadership." Lovie's a leader of young men, and I trust the player's he brings aboard regardless of stars. Just take a look at Beason and Spoon. Completely diff recruiting profiles, but killer attitudes!

South Carolina
I like what Lovie's doing on the recruiting trail. Sure he doesn't get the huge splash's consistantly like we hoped, but he attracts a specific mindset player. "Attitude reflects leadership." Lovie's a leader of young men, and I trust the player's he brings aboard regardless of stars. Just take a look at Beason and Spoon. Completely diff recruiting profiles, but killer attitudes!
I'm sure every other team pushes that mindset

I think a good season this season will quell some. Particularly with our success on the transfer market. But It’s not to underscore our need to improve prep recruiting. Unfortunately,from what I hear, I don’t think Lovie sees himself to have a prep recruiting problem. He likes the people he is bringing in and from where Lovie sits, I think he feels like the class is about where he wants it, with some people, such as trav ion ford, just choosing not to come here.
1) I always hated working for bosses that did not work as hard as me. The work culture sucked big time. I can't imagine what it's like being an assistant knowing your #1 isn't hitting the trail with the same conviction.

2) sitting back and catching transfers will only last so long. Eventually someone or multiple someones will adjust. Mean while the prep market become s less and less engaged. DGMW Ford is an incredible pick up for Illini, but come on.

3) so what are we? Is there a comp for Illini? Can we change the perception of Illini with that kind of recruiting? Can we be a 7 win team consistenty? Transfer U sounds and feels emotionless for a fan base. We are already lifeless as a fan base. There is no comparison between kstate and illini imo. Snyder had a fanatically commitment to culture and process. Lovie is not touching that. It's been soooooo sloppy it's ridiculous.

4) I guess a big part of what I was hoping for was for Lovie to be around long enough and win enough that a real coaching tree emerged. At this point I still see a lot of spare parts. I don't see a transition. I see a cleaning of the house if Lovie moves on.
Yuck. Find a great #2 invest in him set up the program and move on. (Please no son on the team jokes).

Status
Not open for further replies.