Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Express any sort of doubt as to the direction of the program, question any action of the head coach or reflect on his performance and get labeled a hater. What a testament to public discourse in these times!

I'm curious, what new excuses will the Lovie-lovers give if the squad finishes below average? And when will the Lovie-lovers finally start a Lovie Loyalty board? There, they can discuss their love of nepotism and how Lovie can do no wrong, and anyone who disagrees can be labeled a troll, and, of course, a hater.
No one said you weren't entitled to your opinion and when it is expressed on a public board expect folks to disgree respectfully with it.

Complete apples to oranges....Snyder was an unknown going into a school with zero football history, terrible facilities, no national brand name and next to nothing in terms of local recruiting. Not saying Lovie came into a great situation by any means, but he came in with strong name recognition to a school coming off 6 and 5 win seasons and a Rose Bowl appearance within the decade. UI is within a 2 hour drive of what, 15 million people? Face it, Lovie was in a great position to come in and effect a pretty quick turnaround and he squandered that opportunity. If he wins 7 or more this year he has earned some more time.
A great situation...a lame duck coach and a medical scandal with Tim Beckman? Are you serious.

A great situation...a lame duck coach and a medical scandal with Tim Beckman? Are you serious.
And, the worst football facilities in the B1G. Even today, many of the guys currently being recruited have never seen the new facilities.

South Carolina
Oh how dare I show optimism on this board...and by the way your the one comparing I'm just reporting the records, I figure data is better than your opinion...by the way 5 through seven dont count in this situation because Lovie hasn't coached those yet.
Cherry picked data. If you want to present data, just give it straight and you can comment on the side why you don't hold year 1 against him.

“For me to be the first big commit in the Class of 2021, it’s an honor and I’m going to try to bring more guys in and get this class rolling,” Green said. “They say that we’re recruiting certain guys. We got to wait and see.”

Shots fired at Collier considering green is rated lower. 247 has him as a wr but evidently he's a DB which is definitely a bigger need for us at the moment.

“For me to be the first big commit in the Class of 2021, it’s an honor and I’m going to try to bring more guys in and get this class rolling,” Green said. “They say that we’re recruiting certain guys. We got to wait and see.”

Shots fired at Collier considering green is rated lower. 247 has him as a wr but evidently he's a DB which is definitely a bigger need for us at the moment.
I noticed that too, but I really don’t think he meant it as a jab at Collier. I think he meant more as first signed this year. But if not, nothing wrong with a little confidence.

A few thoughts, Keynodo is in on some DBs that are under the radar. I haven't see their tapes yet, but a few seem good. Not sure if I would say great. He is building it within his vision for what he needs to execute on Lovie's defense. Prince is a good example. Prince is a great athlete with exceptional speed and is raw. Having some depth pieces, like witherspoon and beason, he has some time to grow into the role. His tape doesn't jump at me like Witherspoons did (and he still has a year of growth). When I saw Witherspoons tape, I was blown away that he wasn't even in consideration (and got a lot of flack for my over-the-top adulation for a no star defensive back). Prince, has more growth to make, but his speed and athleticism make me think he will be a key contributor as he progresses in his career. He could probably step in at Safety sooner than cornerback. but he would likely be able to play either position and will be a key depth piece early and will take a role later.

We have had 6 commitments since the pandemic (5 transfers and 1 prep). As much as many do no like this, I do not think this suggests we are so far behind. Although we are unaware of any 4 stars that we are in on, there are many names that keep popping up for solid-high 3 stars that I was unaware. My bigest concern for the future is at DB and WR, so I hope we can make some moves. But overall, good WRs are not difficult to find on the transfer market.

When I saw Witherspoons tape, I was blown away that he wasn't even in consideration (and got a lot of flack for my over-the-top adulation for a no star defensive back).
I don't recall any flack for your adulation of Witherspoon. What I do recall was flack, from me, over your over-the-top adulation for the recruiting job Hudson and the staff did.
We have had 6 commitments since the pandemic (5 transfers and 1 prep). As much as many do no like this, I do not think this suggests we are so far behind.
The five transfers counted towards the 2020 class. There is still one scholarship available for 2020 and twenty-one (21!) scholarships available for 2021. The staff is very much behind.

Cherry picked data. If you want to present data, just give it straight and you can comment on the side why you don't hold year 1 against him.
Bill Snyder hired end November Lovie hired end of March big difference in the ability to recruit and train for their first year makes a big deal.

Lovie was a well known name nationally, had coaching contacts galore and plenty of PT to sell. It's not like the team had gone 0-12 in '14 and '15 - they went to a bowl game in '14 and went 5-7 in '15, and were very competitive in most of their losses. So yeah, he had an opportunity to come in and really have a big and quick impact on the program. I was jacked about the hire; pretty much the entire Illini nation was jacked. I guess he did have an impact, only it was in the wrong direction. He hired a crappy staff and blew a good two years in recruiting and we won 9 games the next 3 years.

I'd love for him to be successful and hope he can win 7 or 8 games this year while recruiting some decent talent. He has all his players and have a ton of experience, so no good excuse not to get there. My fear though is that the "expert" projections showing us last in the Big 10 West will be correct and that we will go ofer after winning the first 4 against a bunch of chumps.

I’m hearing some great things about a TE out of TX and a WR from Houston. Ben postma and Cameron Bonner are both guys that could be very real possibilities. I will also release a possible depth chart with the transfers included.

Lovie was a well known name nationally, had coaching contacts galore and plenty of PT to sell. It's not like the team had gone 0-12 in '14 and '15 - they went to a bowl game in '14 and went 5-7 in '15, and were very competitive in most of their losses. So yeah, he had an opportunity to come in and really have a big and quick impact on the program. I was jacked about the hire; pretty much the entire Illini nation was jacked. I guess he did have an impact, only it was in the wrong direction. He hired a crappy staff and blew a good two years in recruiting and we won 9 games the next 3 years.

I'd love for him to be successful and hope he can win 7 or 8 games this year while recruiting some decent talent. He has all his players and have a ton of experience, so no good excuse not to get there. My fear though is that the "expert" projections showing us last in the Big 10 West will be correct and that we will go ofer after winning the first 4 against a bunch of chumps.
Well that's why they play the game, I guess we will see if there is any improvement.

Postma bio has him having offers from Minny, OK State and “Illinois St.”

Bonner a three star and they are predicting Baylor to run track and WR

Postma bio has him having offers from Minny, OK State and “Illinois St.”
And Arkansas, Georgia tech, Houston, Kansas, Pitt and SMU. Would be a great get for us long term. Bonner will be a tougher get cause Baylor has major in-roads but I believe thunderwear and me are hearing the same rumors about Bonner being a very real possibility.

I don't recall any flack for your adulation of Witherspoon. What I do recall was flack, from me, over your over-the-top adulation for the recruiting job Hudson and the staff did.

The five transfers counted towards the 2020 class. There is still one scholarship available for 2020 and twenty-one (21!) scholarships available for 2021. The staff is very much behind.
Maybe you are right about Witherspoon. I remember reading people disagreeing with my take on witherspoon, but it could have just been my take on the work the staff had done to identify the prospect. The truth is that we are more likely to find players like witherspoon because of the insistence on tape (particularly senior tape), most programs are done recruiting by that point. I am not arguing for it as a strategy. Just noting that this is what happens with Lovie's recruiting.

Also, I don't disagree that we have a lot of work to do for 2021 or that we are, not behind the 8-ball. No question this is the case. I am just putting it in context that we have had 6 commits in the past two months. Honestly, even if they were all prep recruits, we would be behind. But we do a lot of work on transfers and film watching.

I'm not as concerned with the class as most. I don't think it is a conference winning class, but I think it will have the talent to win football games. Ultimately, we will see how it plays out in 2023-2024

Cincinnati, OH
I thought I remembered a 1000+ post thread about lovie getting fired and who we would replace him with last year when he was trying to recruit the 2020 class. I'm not really suprised he didn't do well.

This argument is missing the forest for the trees. That thread was started because the team lost to Eastern Michigan at home. That's an unjustifiable loss, especially for a coach in his fourth season. You lose games like EMU during your fourth year, fans are going to seriously discuss your replacement. Later the team won some incredible games that eliminated that discussion. To suggest that fans discussing future head coach candidates on a discussion board hurts recruiting, without even thinking that losing to a MAC team at home might hurt recruiting, is very problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.