Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Positive illini fan , you were off by a week, your connections are making you look bad.

@Illini034 The staff will continue to operate on their own timeline and refuse to leak to the press. They feel good about where they are and do not have a concern about talent. They will also not use lack of talent as an excuse on the field moving forward. Although we are far behind on number of recruits, if society reopens at some point before signing day, we are going to see a lot of changes. Kids have been pressured to accept offers because they didn't want to lose the opportunity. As higher star kids make decisions, we are going to see some changes.

@illinidarrin Thanks for your info!
Yeah I was late by a couple days on my prediction. But two recruits in a day is never a bad thing! I-L-L

His twitter shows 1000 minnesota fans liking his offer tweet and less than 300 Illini fans. Ugh.
Wait, why were almost 300 Illini fans liking his Minnesota offer? /s

Something to keep a eye out for is California’s response to the corona virus. They are already talking about closing the state for three more months and not letting students on campus. If this passes I would expect kids from that state/committed to schools in the state, to jump ship. We will see more de-commitments in this class than any other class ever.

Sedarius McConnell isn't ranked, but those offers are a great sign. Reported offers of Duke, Kansas, Louisville, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, and West Virginia.

yes, I think this is because he Hasn’t attended camps. And this summer, with the pandemic, will not be able to attend camps. He has good film and would be an awesome get.It would be great if his teammate wanted to join us as well.

we have 3 crystal balls

yes, I think this is because he Hasn’t attended camps. And this summer, with the pandemic, will not be able to attend camps. He has good film and would be an awesome get.It would be great if his teammate wanted to join us as well.

Here is another example of why in state coaches have no loyalty. Daine Hanson is a SDE that plays for a team in Illinois that was in the Championship game two years in a row. He has some solid offers but nothing from Illinois. On the other hand, an unranked kid in Atlanta with less offers has one from Illinois. Here is his link.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Daine-Hanson-134669/RecruitInterests/

Should the Coach at Nazareth not feel this is a slap in the face. Why would JJ McCarthy consider a school that feels like his teammates aren't good enough but an unranked kid from Atlanta is? I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan has offered more Illinois kids than Lovie and his staff. These are the issues that a majority of the High School coaches in Illinois deal with when it come to Illinois Football. It's not that difficult. It has nothing to do with ego. Absolutely go out of state for what you CAN'T get in State. I am off my soap box however, I would really like to see things turn around with in state recruiting. You will get more passion on the field when a majority of the team is representing their home state. Just a thought but, I also get Illinois don't want any of the lower level scrubs that coaches want them to take. It is what it is.

Hopefully the kid commit and start a little more momentum. If you thinking Coaches in Illinois don't want to see the home school succeed, you are sadly mistaken. Most speak about it often. It will also help boast recruitment ranking especially when those kids have success.

Here is another example of why in state coaches have no loyalty. Daine Hanson is a SDE that plays for a team in Illinois that was in the Championship game two years in a row. He has some solid offers but nothing from Illinois. On the other hand, an unranked kid in Atlanta with less offers has one from Illinois. Here is his link.

Should the Coach at Nazareth not feel this is a slap in the face. Why would JJ McCarthy consider a school that feels like his teammates aren't good enough but an unranked kid from Atlanta is? I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan has offered more Illinois kids than Lovie and his staff. These are the issues that a majority of the High School coaches in Illinois deal with when it come to Illinois Football. It's not that difficult. It has nothing to do with ego. Absolutely go out of state for what you CAN'T get in State. I am off my soap box however, I would really like to see things turn around with in state recruiting. You will get more passion on the field when a majority of the team is representing their home state. Just a thought but, I also get Illinois don't want any of the lower level scrubs that coaches want them to take. It is what it is.

Hopefully the kid commit and start a little more momentum. If you thinking Coaches in Illinois don't want to see the home school succeed, you are sadly mistaken. Most speak about it often. It will also help boast recruitment ranking especially when those kids have success.
Well Via Rivals both of them are ranked that Same at 5.5 and that both have 12 offers. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospe...om/content/prospects/2021/daine-hanson-258397 Also If you taking 25 mans class they yea let take them Lower Level guys but the last 2 classes was low number you can't take Non P5 guys in a 15-18 man classes.

I went to Nazareth and Illinois has no presence whatsoever there. Mostly Michigan for big recruits, Iowa State for mid tier, and NIU for lower. I don’t think I ever saw an Illinois staff there.

You guys know I typically support Lovie. I can't explain this. Why U of Illinois would not be in on any OL/DL from the state of Illinois that has P5 offers is beyond mysterious. Don't know why this kid is headed to Iowa, if I was him I'd go to IU. Either way, my heart will break whenever this kid sacks our QB or bats down a pass.

I went to Nazareth and Illinois has no presence whatsoever there. Mostly Michigan for big recruits, Iowa State for mid tier, and NIU for lower. I don’t think I ever saw an Illinois staff there.
That doesn't surprise me, we'd honestly be competing with NIU and Iowa St. for their level of recruits both of which have been at least as good if not better than us for 20 years and are easier schools to get into academically.

Illinois's current strategy is that it is easier to scavenge the remains in SEC territory than to compete with Blue Bloods + Wisconsin who have made it a priority to recruit Chicago and it's suburbs. We can't compete with those guys and we get the same level if not higher talent in football hotbeds and the transfer portal than taking the same MAC level Illinois kids that Beckman and Cubit got while trying to recruit the state and build inroads. Lovie and his staff saw that making the state a priority doesn't land you the high end recruits because they are going to go to better schools.

@Illini034 The staff will continue to operate on their own timeline and refuse to leak to the press. They feel good about where they are and do not have a concern about talent. They will also not use lack of talent as an excuse on the field moving forward. Although we are far behind on number of recruits, if society reopens at some point before signing day, we are going to see a lot of changes. Kids have been pressured to accept offers because they didn't want to lose the opportunity. As higher star kids make decisions, we are going to see some changes.
Just happy to finally see some sort of momentum in the right direction. The strategy to take others cast-offs is a little worrisome, but maybe the staff has a better eye for talent than others.

That doesn't surprise me, we'd honestly be competing with NIU and Iowa St. for their level of recruits both of which have been at least as good if not better than us for 20 years and are easier schools to get into academically.

Illinois's current strategy is that it is easier to scavenge the remains in SEC territory than to compete with Blue Bloods + Wisconsin who have made it a priority to recruit Chicago and it's suburbs. We can't compete with those guys and we get the same level if not higher talent in football hotbeds and the transfer portal than taking the same MAC level Illinois kids that Beckman and Cubit got while trying to recruit the state and build inroads. Lovie and his staff saw that making the state a priority doesn't land you the high end recruits because they are going to go to better schools.

It's called investment within your state. Why are we talking about MAC level kid when I clearly posted a kid ranked the exact same as the kid from another State. How can you be a player if you don't at least offer? Help me understand the logic. My point is don't blame in State coaches when clearly their players are good enough for Illinois. The only problem is those same players are good enough for the teams that consistently beat Illinois. I just don't understand it but, I do accept it.

Well Via Rivals both of them are ranked that Same at 5.5 and that both have 12 offers. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospe...om/content/prospects/2021/daine-hanson-258397 Also If you taking 25 mans class they yea let take them Lower Level guys but the last 2 classes was low number you can't take Non P5 guys in a 15-18 man classes.

Not sure you point. You just said both are ranked the same at 5.5 and clearly the staff is willing to take the one from Atlanta. Why are non P5 guys being mentioned here?

It's called investment within your state. Why are we talking about MAC level kid when I clearly posted a kid ranked the exact same as the kid from another State. How can you be a player if you don't at least offer? Help me understand the logic. My point is don't blame in State coaches when clearly their players are good enough for Illinois. The only problem is those same players are good enough for the teams that consistently beat Illinois. I just don't understand it but, I do accept it.
I have become to apathetic to "investment in the state". There is no reciprocity. Lovie has his strategy, and I am fine with it.

Not sure you point. You just said both are ranked the same at 5.5 and clearly the staff is willing to take the one from Atlanta. Why are non P5 guys being mentioned here?
From the beginning of time through the Beckman era, this has been Illinois' bread and butter recruit - solid 3* players from the Chicago/Indy/St. Louis triangle. You mix in a few skill players from Cali or Florida or Texas or Ohio and a few 4*'s from in-state and you generally have a competitive team, occasionally better than competitive. I get that recruiting fell off during the end of the Zook era and into the Beckman era, but outside of Beck's first year we remained pretty competitive on the field. Instead of shoring up our local recruiting base it seems as though Lovie has basically given up on it. We always lost some of these guys to the Iowa's and Wisky's of the world, but we always got our share and it's pretty disheartening to see us walk away from these types of players

I have become to apathetic to "investment in the state". There is no reciprocity. Lovie has his strategy, and I am fine with it.
False statement (There is no reciprocity). Offering a kid after he is already committed somewhere and then turnaround and say I offered in state kids is not really putting forth an effort. Lovie can have whatever strategy he wants. That is why he is paid $5 million or whatever it is. I am not challenging his strategy. What I am saying is you can't say there is no reciprocity, when similar kids aren't offered in state. Stop making excuses for lack of effort in recruiting. If he don't want Illinois kids that is fine with me. My point is say that versus blaming everyone else and putting it on the in state coaches.

My point is your Landing Similar Kid out of state. Your Landing him. 9 times out of 10 Your not landing the Kid from Naz. Naz doesn't send kids to Illinois. I just say i rather get a similar Kid from out of the state than Put all the effort and Lost the Kid in state at a Position of need. Non P5 guys are be are being Mentioned beacuse you said were should be happy to Lower Level Guys.

#1,000      
My point is your Landing Similar Kid out of state. Your Landing him. 9 times out of 10 Your not landing the Kid from Naz. Naz doesn't send kids to Illinois. I just say i rather get a similar Kid from out of the state than Put all the effort and Lost the Kid in state at a Position of need. Non P5 guys are be are being Mentioned beacuse you said were should be happy to Lower Level Guys.

I never said anything about taking lower level guys. You don't get kids from Naz because you don't offer kids from Naz. The kid used in the comparison does not have an offer from Illinois. You are highlighting the big issue. According to you, he is a lower level guy event though he has P5 offers but the same rated kid on Rivals and lower rated on 247 is a good get. You can't land in State talent if you don't recruit the State.

Status
Not open for further replies.