Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a limit to the number of PWOs you can take, and limits on the roster. ARE we going to have to turn down the another Navarro or Fedej for this guys guy's spot?

Recruiting is a lot like chess, you can NEVER afford to waste a move. Who you choose as a PWO matters, sometimes a lot....

If we are relying on PWOs to fill major roles on the team, we have MUCH bigger problems to address. You can say whatever you want, but you are going to have a hard sell convincing anyone to be concerned about this pickup. Oh, and btw, SDSU was right up there with NDSU this year, so let’s not scoff at their offer.

There's a limit to the number of PWOs you can take, and limits on the roster. ARE we going to have to turn down the another Navarro or Fedej for this guys guy's spot?

Recruiting is a lot like chess, you can NEVER afford to waste a move. Who you choose as a PWO matters, sometimes a lot....
I get what you are saying, but who's to say at this point that Reiman won't be the NEXT Navarro or Fed? This guy has apparently been to some UI camps so they are very familiar with what they are getting. I'm okay with this PWO.

Last edited:
Agree, I read the Illlini Boards and am amazed at the haters...3 weeks ago posters were calling for Underwood's head, 3 months before that it was Lovie needs to go..offer a PWO and someone post that nonsense..just unbelievable sometimes
Lexis, learn a little bit about limitations on PWOs. They are limited in number, and you really need to use them judiciously. Most PWOs either have limited athletic upside, maybe are a step slow or need a lot of time in the weight room before they see the field. The common thread is that they are real FB players, not just "athletes" and show the drive and mental toughness to overcome athletic limitations. You also get them in for contact with schools where they get a lot of top recruits on a regular basis to build a recruiting network. I'm asking in which of these respects is this guy a good bet? For all I know this guy can be the next Gronkowski at TE or develop into a quality DE or OLB. The problem is that our best PWOs always seem to come from transfers from smaller college programs rather than obscure preps. I hope this is an exception.

Lexis, learn a little bit about limitations on PWOs. They are limited in number, and you really need to use them judiciously. Most PWOs either have limited athletic upside, maybe are a step slow or need a lot of time in the weight room before they see the field. The common thread is that they are real FB players, not just "athletes" and show the drive and mental toughness to overcome athletic limitations. You also get them in for contact with schools where they get a lot of top recruits on a regular basis to build a recruiting network. I'm asking in which of these respects is this guy a good bet? For all I know this guy can be the next Gronkowski at TE or develop into a quality DE or OLB. The problem is that our best PWOs always seem to come from transfers from smaller college programs rather than obscure preps. I hope this is an exception.

I think you're using a dramatic take on the "PWO limitations." The limits are only set by the NCAA's limit to the roster with 125 players and 85 being scholarship players. I cant remember if Illinois has ever reached that max but we're essentially given10 PWO spots.......per class.

Isn't that why we pay coaches the money we do...to make the determinations where resources are best utilized? If they feel a guy is someone who fits a need, and qualifies for an offer, I'm on board.

I think you're using a dramatic take on the "PWO limitations." The limits are only set by the NCAA's limit to the roster with 125 players and 85 being scholarship players. I cant remember if Illinois has ever reached that max but we're essentially given10 PWO spots.......per class.
I agree with your general take, however I believe the limit is 110 players, at least before the season starts.

17.10.2.1.2 Limit on Number of Participants. [FBS/FCS] There is limit of 110 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution's first day of classes or prior to the fifth day before the day of the institution's first contest, whichever occurs earlier. (Adopted: 1/11/94, Revised: 12/15/06, 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17,4/25/18)

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

You bring up the value of NDSU offers to judge walk-ons......but then you bring up two valuable walk-ons who did not have NDSU offers?

New commit. I assume a PWO.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200127-141153_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200127-141153_Twitter.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 833
Oh ish, looks like we are passing PWO's out like candy. Arizona Bob is gonna explode!

I’d assume this would fit into his category of trying to build relationships in certain areas. Looks like a good move if you make it very black and white and use his perspective. We haven’t hit well in the burbs. Extending an opportunity to a kid who wants it in an area we need to get into is a no brainer.

I’d assume this would fit into his category of trying to build relationships in certain areas. Looks like a good move if you make it very black and white and use his perspective. We haven’t hit well in the burbs. Extending an opportunity to a kid who wants it in an area we need to get into is a no brainer.
In the national championship game, Dabo said there are 120 players on his Clemson football team . That means 85 scholarship and 35 non-scholarship / walk ons. We can stand a few more without a problem !

Did we ever sign the O lineman who is real big and was in a Juco program? Can’t remember himself name.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Just dropping into this thread bc I don't follow football recruiting quite as closely as bball, but I looked at the schollie thread and it looks like we have 19 open slots. And the regular signing period is Feb 5th. Does this seem normal or are we behind the 8 ball for recruiting at this point?

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Just dropping into this thread bc I don't follow football recruiting quite as closely as bball, but I looked at the schollie thread and it looks like we have 19 open slots. And the regular signing period is Feb 5th. Does this seem normal or are we behind the 8 ball for recruiting at this point?

We only have 6 open slots for this class. (2020) I’m guessing you were looking at thre 2021 class.

Status
Not open for further replies.