Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
So, if he is truly going to Cincy, and will enroll...that means he had the grades to pass the NCAA standards but not the Illinois standards right?

If that’s true, than we still don’t have full support from the administration to truly make our sports teams as strong as possible. Which is just a disgrace considering what we are asking these guys to come to school to do.

So, if he is truly going to Cincy, and will enroll...that means he had the grades to pass the NCAA standards but not the Illinois standards right?

If that’s true, than we still don’t have full support from the administration to truly make our sports teams as strong as possible. Which is just a disgrace considering what we are asking these guys to come to school to do.

well, this is not wholly False, but I wouldn’t equate Cincinnati and FSU acceptance standards the same as not having full supportof the administration

Hmmm... interested what Whitman has to say about this....we are already at a disadvantage due to our history..now recruiting with one hand tied behind our back? Still.. probably more descriptive

Sawicky

Chicago, IL

I don't think Illinois Athletics will ever have full support from the admins. They simply don't care about sports and only focus on one side of the schools reputation, sadly. We should always expect to lose good recruits because of this unless Whitman can change them

Bverdec

West Palm Beach, FL
I don't think Illinois Athletics will ever have full support from the admins. They simply don't care about sports and only focus on one side of the schools reputation, sadly. We should always expect to lose good recruits because of this unless Whitman can change them
U of I makes 10x the money off of acdemics with grants, donations, etc than other schools do with football. That's why they keep their standards the way they are. In all honestly U of I does not need football. Our endowment is over a billion dollars.

Deleted member 746648

D
People wonder why alot of big ten schools don't recruit at the same level as sec schools and then stuff like this happens. I don't care that Illinois has tougher admissions standards that most schools but it sucks that we compete against teams that let anyone in and wonder why we don't win more. "Illinois is a sleeping giant guys. Just wait until we get the right coach!" :rolleyes:

Admissions strikes again!

A sad commentary there.

UIUC is a world-renowned University, known for its education.

I would think the coaching staff AND the kid's support system would have been able to predict this predicament. Why is it so difficult?

Our coaching staff needs to improve.

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL
A sad commentary there.

I would think the coaching staff AND the kid's support system would have been able to predict this predicament. Why is it so difficult?

And also, how does Michigan have it figured out? Wisconsin? Penn State? All of these schools are in/above our league academically.

As an alum, the school’s academic rep is important to me. If we become Virginia/Berkeley/Michigan in terms of academics then I could see these recruiting situations happening and be more okay with it. But we’re a notch below that still, so it makes the “academics over athletics” pill hard to swallow.

A sad commentary there.

You try to get a good kid in until Admissions says no. You don't just walk away from a kid and say that Admissions probably won't let him in. You make them tell you "no".

U of I makes 10x the money off of acdemics with grants, donations, etc than other schools do with football. That's why they keep their standards the way they are. In all honestly U of I does not need football. Our endowment is over a billion dollars.
Letting a few guys in to play football or basketball is not going to affect the reputation of the school negatively at all

Deleted member 656517

D
Letting a few guys in to play football or basketball is not going to affect the reputation of the school negatively at all
Especially when you look at every D1 roster and the majority of players are getting degrees in tourism & recreation or sports management

Bverdec

West Palm Beach, FL
I agree. Maybe the kid was way off. He transferred out of Marist to Naperville Central. And I don't know why. But that seemed to be the wrong direction especially after the season Marist had before he left. So who knows.

College should be some of the greatest years of these kids' lives. If they're struggling academically from the start, they won't be enjoying any part of it. It's the job of Admissions to ensure that doesn't happen, even with full knowledge of the academic support system of DIA. Solve the problem before it's a problem. The truth is that not all schools prepare their kids for academic success, equally.

Deleted member 746648

D
Out of curiosity I looked up the admissions standards. The 25th percentile for ACT score is 26 and Average GPA is 3.71. If that's correct, it's hard to find big ten caliber players that can meet that requirement that the Michigan's and Notre Dames aren't already scooping up
Source

And also, how does Michigan have it figured out? Wisconsin? Penn State? All of these schools are in/above our league academically.

As an alum, the school’s academic rep is important to me. If we become Virginia/Berkeley/Michigan in terms of academics then I could see these recruiting situations happening and be more okay with it. But we’re a notch below that still, so it makes the “academics over athletics” pill hard to swallow.

Took the words out of my mouth. How does Michigan, Berkeley and Virginia do it?

Deleted member 746648

D
I looked up wisconsin, Iowa and Purdues' (our peers in the west) admissions standards and recruiting over the last 10+ years. We all have very similar academic standards and the only team to crack the top 25 according to 247 is Purdue in 2019.

Illinois (and most of the conference) will always be fighting an uphill Battle in recruiting but at least we aren't the only team with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.