Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepting 5-10 kids per year doesn’t affect admission standards. It doesn’t change Median scores or top 75%ile scores. Michigan, Virginia, and Nd allow athletics to count for something more in the whole person aspect of recruitment than we do. California is a different animal altogether. We are not in the running for a considerable number of difference maker athletes. Jeff thomas was one example. Cj Dixon and jadon Thompson this year. We have had academic redshirts and the like. Every coach knows these standards and from what I’ve been told, Wisconsin has similar hurdles. It’s not insurmountable to build a solid perennially bowl eligible team. But it is insurmountable to build a national championship team.

The faculty at these schools "recruit" (I was one of them recruited from the other end of the earth). Those of us who applied at schools like UoI, were attracted by the "brains" at the school (faculty).

FB is not any different.
I think you are missing the point. If Urban Meyer was our coach, the admission office isn't letting Jadon Thompson in. Urban would prefer to be at Ohio State where they let anyone in that can help them win football games. It's a competitive disadvantage. As stated, it doesn't matter to the academic reputation of the university because there are a handful a year. Reasonable people can think we should not let them in...but it's a disadvantage when playing universities that do.

Bverdec

West Palm Beach, FL
I'm not liking how everyone is saying there is a competitive disadvantage because the kid didn't enroll here. He had offers from other Big Ten schools including Michigan and didn't go there either. So who knows what happened. I hope he makes the best of his time at Cincinnati. Move on and do a better job at recruiting in-state talent. We shouldn't rely on one kid to make or break our in-state recruiting class.

If he had grade problems in high school, he would have them at UofI as well. He'd be there for 1 year and then have to transfer.

THAT is known to one and all. Anyone who signs as a coach at UoI KNOWS that. Do not complain and use it as an excuse. iF one thinks it is a disadvantage the do NOT sign as a UoI coach.
It is a disadvantage. It can be changed. If you don't care enough about football to want an even playing field, you will keep getting what you have been getting for most of the last 35 years. It's not an excuse. The staff is not going to quit working.. but why make their job more difficult than it already is.

A certain big-time recruit will not be signing with UGA tomorrow...

Still could sign but not tomorrow which is making for uneasy times in Athens.

One thing I can say with the utter-most confidence is that if Illinois pulls off this Broderick Jones signing I will personally crap my pants 🔸💩🔹

Last edited:
It is a disadvantage. It can be changed. If you don't care enough about football to want an even playing field, you will keep getting what you have been getting for most of the last 35 years. It's not an excuse. The staff is not going to quit working.. but why make their job more difficult than it already is.

Yes, "it can be changed". Totally agree. That is the core to enable change.

But

Admissions strikes again!

is not.

Is my argument.

The admission standards for revenue sport athletes is dramatically different than those for regular students.

Exactly! This has been my complaint for years. The student athletes do not have to meet the same admission requirements, so why do we not just follow the NCAA standard. The U of I along with 7 or 8 other power5 schools have set a higher standard for admittance than the NCAA requires for no other reason than they choose to. It makes absolutely no sense! It has zero bearing on anything associated with the schools academic standing or anything related to the academic side when they are admitted or after they're in school The athletes are not held to the same standard as other students, so stop with the self-imposed requirements higher than the NCAA standard:frustrated:

THAT is known to one and all. Anyone who signs as a coach at UoI KNOWS that. Do not complain and use it as an excuse. iF one thinks it is a disadvantage the do NOT sign as a UoI coach.

to this point, several top Coaches have turned the job down because The university would not accept the standard of accepting a handful of students without university qualifying grades.

I'm not liking how everyone is saying there is a competitive disadvantage because the kid didn't enroll here. He had offers from other Big Ten schools including Michigan and didn't go there either. So who knows what happened. I hope he makes the best of his time at Cincinnati. Move on and do a better job at recruiting in-state talent. We shouldn't rely on one kid to make or break our in-state recruiting class.
This isn’t about Thompson. This is part of what we have as a program. We won’t win national championships if we can’t recruit consistent with major programs. But we aren’t at the point of winning national titles. We can be as good as Iowa or Wisconsin, so we still have work to do

Deleted member 716187

D
2020 class ranked 90th and no recruits from Illinois. Im confident a team can win with 3 star players with the right coaching staff, Im not confident we have the right coaching staff to coach these players up.

I am hoping the 2 new defensive line coaches are above average at coaching up and top notch recruiters.

If he had grade problems in high school, he would have them at UofI as well. He'd be there for 1 year and then have to transfer.
Not true. The tutoring one gets at U of I can make all of the difference in the world. The distractions in one"s neighborhood will also, no longer be present. The fact that a young person may not have taken grades seriously until their junior year of high school can impact situations, too.

2020 class ranked 90th and no recruits from Illinois. Im confident a team can win with 3 star players with the right coaching staff, Im not confident we have the right coaching staff to coach these players up.

I think this is a strange criticism. The staff is mediocre at recruiting. But if you look at star power and subsequent performance. The staff has been excellent at coaching up. Hobbs, green, roundtree, brown, Corbin, etc were not even 4* athletes many were not even solid 3*. Some were 2*. I would not think Coaching up is our problem.

illinihawk16

Chicago
A certain big-time recruit will not be signing with UGA tomorrow...

Still could sign but not tomorrow which is making for uneasy times in Athens.

One thing I can say with the utter-most confidence is that if Illinois pulls off this Broderick Jones signing I will personally crap my pants 🔸💩🔹

Don't know if he's actually signed on the dotted line, but he just now announced at his high school that he's going to Georgia

This is a low star recruit that is worth the pickup. He has elite speed and shiftiness. He can improve special teams considerably without risking top receivers or dbs to injury
Your ability to spin is second to none. I love it.
I think this is a strange criticism. The staff is mediocre at recruiting. But if you look at star power and subsequent performance. The staff has been excellent at coaching up. Hobbs, green, roundtree, brown, Corbin, etc were not even 4* athletes many were not even solid 3*. Some were 2*. I would not think Coaching up is our problem.
But sometimes I can't stand it. None of the players you mentioned could be considered "coached up." They all showed their ability to play early. If anything, it shows the staff's ability to find underrated talent, which all staffs can claim, really, especially ones who haven't recruited well. The staff certainly didn't coach Corbin to pass block effectively to improve his chances in the NFL draft. A year ago, you were raving about the staff finding Quan Martin. If the staff was actually good at "coaching up," he should have been a star this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.