Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
What I'm saying is net/net we benefited from a lot of lucky breaks last year. We were lucky MSU fell apart in the 4th quarter, we were lucky Chryst forgot he had a Heisman caliber running back at the end of the UW game, we got lucky PU was down to their third string QB in a rainstorm that helped us greatly, we were lucky Nebraska didn't beat us by 40 given how badly they outplayed us. I can't really point to any offsetting bad breaks - it's not like we outplayed EMU; they were a better team that day. Those breaks could very well go against us next year and we end up 3-9 or 4-8; I'm not sure our talent makes us much if any better than that.

While MSU may have played sub-par or made bad decisions, we still had to make the plays to win. We were down, what 28-3 or something like that going into the 4th quarter? That's a VERY tough hill to climb regardless of how bad the other team plays down the stretch. We beat them because we called a better game and MSU didn't execute. It wasn't luck that caused Bhe Bhe to make play after play. And it wasn't luck that caused Peters to throw a dart to Daniel Barker for the win.

Chryst didn't forget he had a Heisman caliber running back, but he did just see said running back fumble to give Illinois the ball the drive before. Maybe he was trying to keep the ball away from gang tackles (knowing our ability to force fumbles) and was trying to get it out into space where his receivers could catch it and fall down. (or at least only be tackled by 1 or 2 guys) Hindsight is 20/20.

Weather helped us against PU but only because Jeff Brohm refused adjust his own game for it. Which was basically the exact opposite of the NW game.

We weren't lucky against Nebraska because we forced like 5 turnovers. We FORCED the turnovers. That's not luck (at least not always) and it kept us in a game where we were a poor match to their offensive style. But that is exactly what Lovie tries to do with his defense.

Anyway, this is a long post and it's basically to re-emphasize the point that we earned 6 wins. We didn't luck into them...lucking into a win is sort of like that Fresno State offensive lineman catching a deflected pass during the 2pt conversion and falling into the end-zone for a win. That's about as close to luck as you can get.

We earned 6 wins, and 6 teams earned wins against us.

Here is an expert from the post Northwestern game write-up by Robert from Illiniboard. It's kind of a nice depiction of the mirror image season we had with our wins and losses. Sure we made plays in some games, but we didn't execute in others. That's what happens to 6-6 teams.

"Wet games where one team dominated the line of scrimmage: Purdue win, Northwestern loss
One team clearly dominated the other team in a complete mismatch: Akron win, Minnesota loss
Field goal in the NEZ of Memorial Stadium decides the outcome: Wisconsin win, Eastern Michigan loss
Illinois has the ball, down four, driving for the winning score: Michigan State win, Nebraska loss
"That game really shouldn't have been that close for the favorite": 8-point UConn win, 9-point Iowa loss
"Whoa, this game is tight" and then two quick turnovers and the game is over: Rutgers win, Michigan loss

There's even symmetry with the schedule. Two wins, then four losses, then four wins, then two losses."

"https://www.illiniboard.com/2019/11/30/whooped/

Deleted member 654622

D
Well, of course. But isn't poor tackling part of the reason you can get outplayed? The 1-11 third down conversion rate for the Illini had nothing to do with tackling. The Illini also punted twice as many times as Nebraska (8 vs. 4). Third down conversions were 11-19 for Nebraska vs. 1-11 for Illinois. Except for turnovers, Nebraska dominated pretty much every stat.
The defense made plays and created turnovers then missed tackles and gave up TDs. That is not being outplayed
Our special teams was the better. That is not being outplayed
Our offense scored when we had a short field and COMPLETELY SUCKED when they didn't. That is not being outplayed

If the offense could have found a few more first downs, ILL wins that game. To me, that is not getting outplayed
It was a close game, because frankly both teams are bad. Neither outplayed the other

illini80

Forgottonia
Werner had an interesting and concerning interview with Ryan Easterling last week regarding instate recruiting. Worth a listen on Illini Inquirer podcast.

Deleted member 654622

D
Werner had an interesting and concerning interview with Ryan Easterling last week regarding instate recruiting. Worth a listen on Illini Inquirer podcast.
I would say it was good and bad. Here are my major takeaways (tell me if you thought different):
1. The big Illinois O lineman have dissapeared
2. The 2020 class was overall weak for the state
3. 2021 have some solid skill position prospects
4. It seems the in state kids were very high on Illinois during the summer
5. It seems like the other schools just kept on these kids more than the IL staff, so they ultimately signed with other schools

The last one was the big WTF moment for me. But at least we had the kids interest at some point..... Let us hope they learn and adjust

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
In-state kids: we've shown that our program has improved quite a bit and we're finally competitive with our peers (most of them, anyway). Our training facility is done now. I'm expecting serious improvement with our in-state recruiting (doh!), starting with the 2021 class.

illini80

Forgottonia
I would say it was good and bad. Here are my major takeaways (tell me if you thought different):
5. It seems like the other schools just kept on these kids more than the IL staff, so they ultimately signed with other schools

The last one was the big WTF moment for me. But at least we had the kids interest at some point..... Let us hope they learn and adjust
Yes, it wasn’t all negative. I hope I didn’t leave that impression, but yes that last point was concerning. He seemed to be saying, without saying it, was other schools are out working IL when it comes to the instate kids. Like keeping a relationship going with the coaches even if they don’t have any players we currently want. Extending offers earlier to kids that have promise, but maybe not there yet. I believe there was a comment about just because there is an offer doesn’t mean you have to take a commit if its too soon or not the right fit. That seems like a slippery slope, but it sounds like that happens a lot. There has been much discussion on here about instate vs out of state recruiting and just about everyone who cares to has weighed in. With the recruiting staff we currently have, I don’t have high expectations that instate will be a top priority. And as long as we get the right players, I’m not one who cares where they come from. But the 2020 class as it stands is not going to take us anywhere.

This class is far from over and I’m still fairly optimistic about the transfer portal. But like Joel says, the 2021 class looms large and at this point we can not fail to capitalize on it. That’s my opinion, not Joel’s.

In-state kids: we've shown that our program has improved quite a bit and we're finally competitive with our peers (most of them, anyway). Our training facility is done now. I'm expecting serious improvement with our in-state recruiting (doh!), starting with the 2021 class.

Serious improvement with respect to previous IL classes or B10 West teams?

Just took a quick look at 2021 IL kids. Saw a bunch for MI and MN. And a few for ND, IA, WI, etc. None for IL (and so far NW too!!!)

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Serious improvement with respect to previous IL classes or B10 West teams?

Just took a quick look at 2021 IL kids. Saw a bunch for MI and MN. And a few for ND, IA, WI, etc. None for IL (and so far NW too!!!)

WRT our recent history recruiting IL preps.

if true, #5 is mind-boggling...

Agreed that Illinois was 6-6 and they earned it. But when assessing expectations for next year, I hope nobody considers 6-6 to be the team's floor. The team could improve next year and still end up at 6-6.
I certainly consider 6-6 to be the team's floor. I don't choose to go the what if route, but I cannot imagine the Illini winning less than 8 games in the 2020 season. I am optimistic that the team won't be so decimated by injury like last year. Hanson, Wole, the two receivers, Beason, etc.... I also think the coaches will use their non starters this year preparing them for the next man up approach. Isaiah Williams, Cumby, D Campbell and others were not properly used last year. That has to change.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I also think the coaches will use their non starters this year preparing them for the next man up approach. Isaiah Williams, Cumby, D Campbell and others were not properly used last year. That has to change.

All the players you cited were true frosh and all of them redshirted. In that context, care to elaborate?

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
It feels like the relationship between the Illinois football staff (and past staffs) and Illinois high school coaches has been chilly for around a decade. I am always cautious about casting the blame on whoever (conclusion: both are at fault). But if there are questions about effort, that's inexcusable.

All the players you cited were true frosh and all of them redshirted. In that context, care to elaborate?
I agree with your point, although I thought Campbell burned his RS.

BTW, NIU only signed 3 players from IL in 2020, and one of them is a 2-star. It's not like the mid-level schools are cleaning up Illinois either.

If you do not have backup qb's for example who are used properly you have to substitute a qb who cannot pass or run on the Bigten level as the Illini did. There will be a dropoff in most cases, but it should be like dropping off a step ladder not the Sears Tower as was the case when Peters was replaced by the sophomore from California. I am not sure what you mean by burning their redshirt, but if you mean they lost a year of elgibility, it is my understanding that a player has to play more than 4 games and I don't think any of the players mentioned played more than 4 games.
If you are saying they kept their eligibility I say that a coach has to do whatever it takes including using up a redshirt to give the team the best chance to win individual games. I am glad Vontae Davis, Simeon Rice and others played early. Not saying the players I mentioned are future hall of famers, but winning teams have backups ready and play them. Next man up means having a player ready when his number is called.

Deleted member 654622

D
If you do not have backup qb's for example who are used properly you have to substitute a qb who cannot pass or run on the Bigten level as the Illini did. There will be a dropoff in most cases, but it should be like dropping off a step ladder not the Sears Tower as was the case when Peters was replaced by the sophomore from California. I am not sure what you mean by burning their redshirt, but if you mean they lost a year of elgibility, it is my understanding that a player has to play more than 4 games and I don't think any of the players mentioned played more than 4 games.
If you are saying they kept their eligibility I say that a coach has to do whatever it takes including using up a redshirt to give the team the best chance to win individual games. I am glad Vontae Davis, Simeon Rice and others played early. Not saying the players I mentioned are future hall of famers, but winning teams have backups ready and play them. Next man up means having a player ready when his number is called.
I'm sorry but you lost me with this. Our backups are not as talented as Vonte Davis and Simeon Rice. That is why they are backups. They will be more ready to play as redshirt seniors over true freshmen. They need to build muscle and adapt to the college level. The best way for EVERYONE is to do that in practice. Otherwise we are back to winning three games a year.
The QB room was TERRIBLE when Rod got here. He snagged Matt since he was the best option at the time. IW and Spann are great examples of where we are at. Much better talent than we have had, just too young currently.
Lovie killed the depth of this roster and it's just now getting close to filling back up....close. It's about the talent on the roster.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Top 20 State of Illinois Prospects for the past five years (2016-2020)

Iowa - 14
Michigan State - 8
Northwestern - 8
Illinois - 7 (4 in 2014)
Notre Dame - 6
Wisconsin - 5
Iowa State - 4
Minnesota - 4
Purdue - 3
Michigan - 2
Cincinnati - 2
Ole Miss - 2
NIU - 2
Penn State - 2
Duke - 2
Missouri - 2
Too many to mention - 1

And just to give a comparison to a state with somewhat similar talent, neighboring state, and one especially of interest to Illinois football, here is the same for the State of Missouri.

Missouri - 14
Illinois - 8
Minnesota - 5
Oklahoma - 4
Ohio State - 4
Iowa State - 4
Kansas State - 3
Nebraska - 3
Arkansas - 3
West Virginia - 2
Clemson - 2
Texas - 2
Kansas - 2
WMU - 2
Michigan - 2
Notre Dame - 2
Stanford - 2
Too many to mention - 1

Last edited:

Iowa - 14
Michigan State - 8
Northwestern - 8
Illinois - 7 (4 in 2014)
Notre Dame - 6
Wisconsin - 5
Iowa State - 4
Minnesota - 4
Purdue - 3
Michigan - 2
Cincinnati - 2
Ole Miss - 2
NIU - 2
Penn State - 2
Duke - 2
Missouri - 2
Too many to mention - 1

And just to give a comparison to a state with somewhat similar talent, neighboring state, and one especially of interest to Illinois football, here is the same for the State of Missouri.

Missouri - 14
Illinois - 8
Minnesota - 5
Oklahoma - 4
Ohio State - 4
Iowa State - 4
Kansas State - 3
Nebraska - 3
Arkansas - 3
West Virginia - 2
Clemson - 2
Texas - 2
Kansas - 2
WMU - 2
Michigan - 2
Notre Dame - 2
Stanford - 2
Too many to mention - 1
Great stuff. I'm actually amazed that Michigan hasn't taken more from both states.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

Iowa - 14
Michigan State - 8
Northwestern - 8
Illinois - 7 (4 in 2014)
Notre Dame - 6
Wisconsin - 5
Iowa State - 4
Minnesota - 4
Purdue - 3
Michigan - 2
Cincinnati - 2
Ole Miss - 2
NIU - 2
Penn State - 2
Duke - 2
Missouri - 2
Too many to mention - 1

Missouri - 14
Illinois - 8
Minnesota - 5
Oklahoma - 4
Ohio State - 4
Iowa State - 4
Kansas State - 3
Nebraska - 3
Arkansas - 3
West Virginia - 2
Clemson - 2
Texas - 2
Kansas - 2
WMU - 2
Michigan - 2
Notre Dame - 2
Stanford - 2
Too many to mention - 1
Given the relative state of our program the past several years before this past season it's actually not as terrible as some are making out to be. Yes, it needs to be better, but I think it will be with more on the field success. Last season and this coming one should help a lot with this.

From 2016-20

Iowa pulled 29, top 20 (actually mostly top 10) players out of the State of Iowa.

Illinois got none from the State of Iowa (top 20).

Illinois got 7/100 top 20 players from the STate of Illinois.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.