Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a positive note, I live down in Tampa and ran into Deuce Spann at a local track meet. Had the chance to talk with him for a few minutes. I came away incredibly impressed. He is eager to get there and get started. More impressively, everything I talked with him about was yes sir, no sir. He is reporting in June and told me he just made honor roll this past semester. On another good note, he smoked everyone in the hurdles and the 400 and just looked way bigger / stronger / faster than anyone else on the track. Consider me a fan, I'll be pulling for him.

Do you know his times in those events by any chance? Interested in getting a feel for his speed.

Do you know his times in those events by any chance? Interested in getting a feel for his speed.
My fault, I was working the triple jump pit, looked up and saw him leading the pack, thought it was the hurdles but it was the 100 and the 400. The wind was blowing 100 mph in their faces and it was 50 plus degrees. Not ideal for a track meet. He ran a 11.20 and a 52.47 today. His best are 10.9 and 49.
Most fast high school kids that tall are lanky and could stand to gain a few pounds, he on the other hand looks like he could suit up today (not quite KOFI yet) and be a true dual threat. He told me he was at the Wisky game (thank goodness) and his relationship with the two Smith's are what turned his eyes towards the Illini.

My fault, I was working the triple jump pit, looked up and saw him leading the pack, thought it was the hurdles but it was the 100 and the 400. The wind was blowing 100 mph in their faces and it was 50 plus degrees. Not ideal for a track meet. He ran a 11.20 and a 52.47 today. His best are 10.9 and 49.
Most fast high school kids that tall are lanky and could stand to gain a few pounds, he on the other hand looks like he could suit up today (not quite KOFI yet) and be a true dual threat. He told me he was at the Wisky game (thank goodness) and his relationship with the two Smith's are what turned his eyes towards the Illini.

Thanks. Triple jump is by far my favorite track event. The times don’t bother me for the weather and how early it is in track season. By the end of the season in good weather it’d be nice to see him get to 10.6 and about 48 based on his previous PRs. Max speed and sprint explosion as he makes his way to us.

Imagine his times if the 100 mph winds were at his back

On a positive note, I live down in Tampa and ran into Deuce Spann at a local track meet. Had the chance to talk with him for a few minutes. I came away incredibly impressed. He is eager to get there and get started. More impressively, everything I talked with him about was yes sir, no sir. He is reporting in June and told me he just made honor roll this past semester. On another good note, he smoked everyone in the hurdles and the 400 and just looked way bigger / stronger / faster than anyone else on the track. Consider me a fan, I'll be pulling for him.
interesting. Anyone know what happened to CJ Dixon? from 247 it looks like he never signed. Was it a talent, skill, academic or discipline issue? Either way, it seems we're better off with Spann even though he isn't an "elite" recruit. Time will tell. Losing WRs Jeff Thomas and that guy who went to Virginia worked out for the best. If we got them, we wouldn't have gotten BheBhe, and he had to count for 2 or three wins. If he hadn't come and performed along with Peters, we'd be talking about our next coach now....

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
interesting. Anyone know what happened to CJ Dixon? from 247 it looks like he never signed. Was it a talent, skill, academic or discipline issue? Either way, it seems we're better off with Spann even though he isn't an "elite" recruit. Time will tell. Losing WRs Jeff Thomas and that guy who went to Virginia worked out for the best. If we got them, we wouldn't have gotten BheBhe, and he had to count for 2 or three wins. If he hadn't come and performed along with Peters, we'd be talking about our next coach now....

Good point. No one likes disappointing recruiting news, but sometimes things work out.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

I honestly can’t remember what happened to Dixon but I feel like @illini0440 said it was either mutual or we realized it wasn’t a good idea to take him? Or maybe he lost interest...not sure.

Regardless of that, apparently Deuce Spann is the real deal.

If you haven’t read Robert’s post on him, it’s good, and very positive and comes across as an elite recruit. (Robert wonders why he isn’t a 4 star)

Spann LLOUI

My best guess is he didn't qualify academically. Probably going prep or JUCO.

I honestly can’t remember what happened to Dixon but I feel like @illini0440 said it was either mutual or we realized it wasn’t a good idea to take him? Or maybe he lost interest...not sure.

Regardless of that, apparently Deuce Spann is the real deal.

If you haven’t read Robert’s post on him, it’s good, and very positive and comes across as an elite recruit. (Robert wonders why he isn’t a 4 star)

Spann LLOUI
Spann can play. Did well in the playoffs and eventually lost to a team that made it to the championship game. Can't remember if they won it though. Riggins and Newton will also be very good players.

St. Pete Lakewood lost 9-7 to Booker T Washington in the semifinals. BT Washington went on to win the state championship against Jacksonville Bolles 25-21

Deleted member 654622

D
Staff is happy where they are with lovett, jack tucker and willie shaw. Don't think sam jackson is going to happen.
Well Collier is taking an unofficial visit here soon. So maybe he isn't gonna jump elsewhere

Is the surprise visit still happening today or has the corona put the halt to it?

Looks like no visitors for awhile. So who was the surprise visitor this week? Maybe since there will be no basketball we can play 20 ?"s.

Status
Not open for further replies.