Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

illinidarrin

from parts unknown
#140 OT out of HS, Assumed he wasn’t going to get playing time at MSST. More of a lateral move to me, but we’re gonna need all the help we can get on the 2021 OL.

Well, apparently a lot schools liked and wanted him when he decided to transfer. Missouri,GT,FSU,Houston and Oregon among others reached out to him.

Last edited:
or it could be a hungry staff vs. a pretty lazy staff.

I wouldn’t classify our staff as lazy. I’d classify them as out of touch with college kids. The organization is run professional, not like a college football program. High school kids are looking for dreams to be sold. It’s why we are not doing well with transfers. Once They’ve been introduced to the college game, they learn a More professional workman like demeanor

I wouldn’t classify our staff as lazy. I’d classify them as out of touch with college kids. The organization is run professional, not like a college football program. High school kids are looking for dreams to be sold. It’s why we are not doing well with transfers. Once They’ve been introduced to the college game, they learn a More professional workman like demeanor
CP, McClain, Bellamy, AHS, Hudson aren’t lazy on the Trail. Lovie very lazy and doesn’t understand recruiting.

CP, McClain, Bellamy, AHS, Hudson aren’t lazy on the Trail. Lovie very lazy and doesn’t understand recruiting.

Uhaah. Such a bummer about hearing this.

I still can't help but feel Lovie has elevated our game despite his lack of recruiting effort. Not defend ing lack of effort just saying he might have been the perfect bridge for us.

Deleted member 746648

D
I'm not sure that laziness is the problem when it comes to lovie. He's just been pretty unconventional in the way he's built the roster. If you look at the Team Talent composite we were 8th in the B1G between Wisconsin and Iowa. That's not necessarily a bad place to be.

Uhaah. Such a bummer about hearing this.

I still can't help but feel Lovie has elevated our game despite his lack of recruiting effort. Not defend ing lack of effort just saying he might have been the perfect bridge for us.
Not disagreeing...but my worry is that bridge is going to last longer than it should and then where are we?

Deleted member 746648

D
Wow - given our results I would never have expected this. I would have guessed we were somewhere around IU and PU

We have more top end talent than those teams (based on # of 4*) but we still haven't developed the depth that they have. Now that we have the luxury of redshirting most players it should start paying off in a couple years.

Both those teams had 10 wins....we kinda lucked into 6 wins. Also we are consistently late on offering kids and are outworked big time on the trail. And most of the time it’s not the assistants fault. I want Lovie to succeed but he has to lose his ego and change his attitude towards recruiting.
Exactly. It's one thing to hold to your convictions, but at some point you have to realize when your approach is not working and be able to adjust. I'm not seeing that out of Lovie

Looks like we are out of the running on Tyler McLaurin too according to his twitter announcement.

I would say somethingdifferent, but it’s not important. Overall, we are good with transfers and bad with prep recruits. I think it has more to do with how much emphasis Lovie places on evaluation, as he often waits for senior tape. But we both agree that he is missing quite a bit with prep recruits

Deleted member 746648

D
I think there are plenty of complaints to be had about lovies recruiting but some of you are making it sound like lovie is going to take us back to the Beckman era or something. He's brought in the type of talent that we haven't had in years. Who cares if he's stocking the team with 2 or 3 year transfers as long as we keep making it to bowl games.

Lovie might not be the guy to take us to the rose bowl but I think we will consistently get 6 or 7 wins while he's around. For some of you that won't be good enough but considering we haven't made it to 3 bowls in a row since the 80's I'll take it.

This is year 5 and we have an experienced roster. If we win 7 or 8 this year I will agree with you and will be willing to live with a couple 4-5 win seasons after while we rebuild. If we win 4 or 5 this year with his best team, then it's time to cut bait and recognize it ain't going to happen with Lovie
If we don’t qualify for a bowl, Lovie should be gone. I would almost guarantee that. I think back to back bowls keeps him. 7 or 8 wins in season would grant an extension. 6 would keep him in the bubble. He will get a pass year in 2021 with 4 to 5 wins. But I think he is working to set that roster right now with transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.