Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,152      
I think title is tied in well to a pro Illinois area and the signals they are getting are that Illinois doesn’t care about Illinois recruits.It’s playing out. Winning is important, but so are relationships. I think we can make it work, but only because Lovie is a celebrity. Wouldn’t work long term.

MSU corner is already taken, it’s not Illinois.

You are correct. What I am highlighting is the desires of the current staff as well as previous staff. Everyone put the lack of Illinois players on in State coaches and the athletes themselves. The reality is there is no real desire to recruit those kids for whatever reason. It's not an issue however the finger should be pointed int he right direction. If this staff wanted Illinois players, they would have them.

#1,155      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
You are correct. What I am highlighting is the desires of the current staff as well as previous staff. Everyone put the lack of Illinois players on in State coaches and the athletes themselves. The reality is there is no real desire to recruit those kids for whatever reason. It's not an issue however the finger should be pointed int he right direction. If this staff wanted Illinois players, they would have them.

I can only speak for me, but my perspective was not that the Illinois HS coaches were solely culpable, but that this is a mutual issue between both parties. Hiring a director based in Houston does not change that for me. It's a broken relationship, so the football staff has decided to double-down on their Texas commitment, but this decision does not decide who's at fault. This is the equivalent of your house burning down, your insurance company is investigating the fire, so you start looking at a new house, so the insurance company finds you at fault because you are looking at new housing?

#1,163      
IMO, I think Lovie & Co. have done enough on the recruiting trail to get us to take a step back from the ledge and consider that they know what they are doing. No, he doesn't get 20 commits right off the bat like Fleck, but he also isn't bringing them into a room and giving them a set amount of time to commit like he does either. As others have said, this is the most talented team we will have had since 2011. He is bringing in recruits that Beckman did not, and even ones that Zook did not in those last couple years (let's not forget how poor his recruiting was those last 2 years). While I still have questions about gameday coaching decisions and some staff choices for coaching them up, I do not have any real concerns with recruiting. I still believe Lovie will get us to consistently 5-7 wins a year, retire, and then allow someone else to come in and really push the program forward. And that is what we have needed for 30 years.

#1,164      
Since there has been a lot of talk about not getting I’ll HS recruits. Where would McConnell or Green lineup if they went to Lincolnway or Mt. Carmel. Maybe top 12?

#1,167      

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
I am moving away from the ledge with the recruiting situation. I still think there is room for improvement and that we should be striving to lock in a few 3/4 star guys from Chicago and St. Louis. But I like what I see with who is coming in the door and the momentum we are building. We just have to make sure it continues, and that starts and ends with seizing the moment and getting to 6 wins again this year.

#1,171      
If we landed Blackburn and Cameron Ball that would be 3 top 1000 kids from Georgia. Maybe it’s just my perception, but I feel like it’s easier to enter/win recruitments of these players compared to their Illinois compatriots due to the high quantity of recruits these states are churning out.

#1,173      

FT35

Naperville
I’m hearing we are in a good spot with Brody wisecarver out of St. Louis. 3/4* top 500 O-lineman. Would be another very solid get. We’re in on his teammate as well.

I heard he was going to decide between West Virginia and Kentucky this month but has postponed his decision until he has had a chance to visit more schools. I believe he said he wants to visit Michigan State and Illinois but can't do so right now for obvious reasons.

He would be a massive get for us. Someone like him could crack the two-deep in 2021.

Lillibridge seems like a realistic target for us.

#1,174      
I heard he was going to decide between West Virginia and Kentucky this month but has postponed his decision until he has had a chance to visit more schools. I believe he said he wants to visit Michigan State and Illinois but can't do so right now for obvious reasons.

He would be a massive get for us. Someone like him could crack the two-deep in 2021.

Lillibridge seems like a realistic target for us.
Yes originally he was between Kentucky and WV but things have changed. He wants to wait longer now to see us, Arizona and Migh St. I know him and bob McClain have spoken as good amount as well. We have a shot and I think Patterson will help here. Lillibridge is a nice prospect, would love to get him.

#1,175      

Deleted member 656517

D
Yes originally he was between Kentucky and WV but things have changed. He wants to wait longer now to see us, Arizona and Migh St. I know him and bob McClain have spoken as good amount as well. We have a shot and I think Patterson will help here. Lillibridge is a nice prospect, would love to get him.
Getting our foot in the door with some players from Desmet HS would be huge for us in STL recruiting. They churn out major D1 talent every yr

Status
Not open for further replies.