Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,277      
Guilty. Patience not my strong suit.

We have seen bursts like this in the past, but were unable to sustain momentum. Hopefully they get over the hump this time

The staff has a plan on how many commits they want to take in this period. They also want to save some for senior film and transfers.

#1,279      

altenberger22

South Carolina
Oooohhh sounds like a showdown
1590291058966.png

#1,280      
Guilty. Patience not my strong suit.

We have seen bursts like this in the past, but were unable to sustain momentum. Hopefully they get over the hump this time
To be fair, this recent run has moved us from 14th in B1G recruiting to 14th in B1G recruiting, but at least in the range of overtaking IU for 13... so it isn’t like we have arrived yet. It matters where we finish, but we are still entering the halfway point at the back of the pack.

#1,281      
To be fair, this recent run has moved us from 14th in B1G recruiting to 14th in B1G recruiting, but at least in the range of overtaking IU for 13... so it isn’t like we have arrived yet. It matters where we finish, but we are still entering the halfway point at the back of the pack.
That's true. But at least there is something to talk about besides complaining how there are zero recruits.

#1,282      

I saw this as well, but it’s again important to remind people that those rankings are heavily weighted towards the number of recruits you have as opposed to quality. Minnesota is ridiculously high right now because they push for commitments so quickly. Also, found it interesting that NW only has one in-state player, given all the bashing there has been about Lovie not locking down the state.

#1,283      
I dont know if our recruiting rankings will ever truly reflect how well compared to other Big 10 teams since we are taking a new pattern of transfers compared to most other Big 10 schools. You can semi look at the average rating, but we do rely on transfer recruits so much. We are filling around 20 slots just on senior class so I would imagine we use a total of 15ish slots for new recruits and 5ish for transfer. I'm sure 2 or 3 players transfer after this year. My one concern seems to be other teams in Big 10 are now picking up really good recruits that did not use to. However, if we can prove our transfer market is not a fluke, we should be fine. We just need to develop a push rush with some of our recruits.

#1,284      
I saw this as well, but it’s again important to remind people that those rankings are heavily weighted towards the number of recruits you have as opposed to quality. Minnesota is ridiculously high right now because they push for commitments so quickly. Also, found it interesting that NW only has one in-state player, given all the bashing there has been about Lovie not locking down the state.
I dont know if our recruiting rankings will ever truly reflect how well compared to other Big 10 teams since we are taking a new pattern of transfers compared to most other Big 10 schools. You can semi look at the average rating, but we do rely on transfer recruits so much. We are filling around 20 slots just on senior class so I would imagine we use a total of 15ish slots for new recruits and 5ish for transfer. I'm sure 2 or 3 players transfer after this year. My one concern seems to be other teams in Big 10 are now picking up really good recruits that did not use to. However, if we can prove our transfer market is not a fluke, we should be fine. We just need to develop a push rush with some of our recruits.

Overall talent composite has us at 8.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=Big-Ten

Look at who we are losing and see if the current players are an upgrade from a recruiting standpoint, they are. That’s what matters

#1,285      
Overall talent composite has us at 8.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=Big-Ten

Look at who we are losing and see if the current players are an upgrade from a recruiting standpoint, they are. That’s what matters
Definitely, not complaining. Just saying other schools have stepped it up. Appreciate all your insight. Glad to have this string of commits and definitely, yesterday's commit. Also, in a weird way, so far, the one I am most excited about is Moffett. That speed at linebacker is electrifying.

#1,286      
Is this what Christmas morning without a present feels like? I checked when I got up this AM for the second commit. Still nothing. Did they change their mind? Or is it just timing?

#1,287      

redwingillini11

North Aurora
Also, found it interesting that NW only has one in-state player, given all the bashing there has been about Lovie not locking down the state.

Northwestern also has three 4* recruits committed at this point. If you are bringing in 4* players, people don’t care where they are from.

#1,294      
I saw this as well, but it’s again important to remind people that those rankings are heavily weighted towards the number of recruits you have as opposed to quality.
Problem is if you go by average ranking we move up to 13, ahead of Rutgers. We may be able to out develop, find underrated gems, transfers to make up for recruiting classes. I hope so, but I don’t think this has to be an either or thing & it would be nice to start out on more even footing. For the record, I’m fine with waiting until the class is finished, but I don’t think you stick your head in the sand and think this recent upward tick means all is well with high school recruiting.

#1,295      
Problem is if you go by average ranking we move up to 13, ahead of Rutgers. We may be able to out develop, find underrated gems, transfers to make up for recruiting classes. I hope so, but I don’t think this has to be an either or thing & it would be nice to start out on more even footing. For the record, I’m fine with waiting until the class is finished, but I don’t think you stick your head in the sand and think this recent upward tick means all is well with high school recruiting.

Ah, yes. I forgot I said that.

Oh wait, you were just making an argument by fabricating something that literally no one has said on here. Just because people are happy to see recruits committing does not mean anyone thinks everything is going well. The talent level is improving through recruiting and transfers, and I will continue to give Lovie and Co. the benefit of the doubt because of that.

#1,296      

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
So I lost track of all the siren tweets. Did three big time commitments come in this weekend? I saw one.

#1,297      

Deleted member 716187

D
So I lost track of all the siren tweets. Did three big time commitments come in this weekend? I saw one.

If I had a dollar for every presumed commit that didnt come through, I might be able to buy out Lovies contract. I wish the staff would stop posting the ric flair gif all the time, it really starts to lose its value when the "wooo" doesnt come to fruition.

#1,298      

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
If I had a dollar for every presumed commit that didnt come through, I might be able to buy out Lovies contract. I wish the staff would stop posting the ric flair gif all the time, it really starts to lose its value when the "wooo" doesnt come to fruition.
Yeah. It seems like low upside/high downside for them to be so active on twitter before the fact. Whatever. Maybe tweet less and teach tackling more.

#1,299      
Ah, yes. I forgot I said that.

Oh wait, you were just making an argument by fabricating something that literally no one has said on here. Just because people are happy to see recruits committing does not mean anyone thinks everything is going well. The talent level is improving through recruiting and transfers, and I will continue to give Lovie and Co. the benefit of the doubt because of that.
I initially was responding to a post where someone was apologizing for not having patience and believing this was the master plan, so it was certainly implied. The talent level generally improved last year because of recruiting/ transfers and the very low level of talent we started with, 2020 numbers aren’t there yet and we are now talking about the 2021 class so the jury is still out. When you look at the 2019 numbers, I think there are plenty of reasons to think there is also a large margin of error in the number as well. Some of better players such as Palszewski, Kramer, Roundtree (yes Roundtree & Ford are included) came with lower rankings in last year’s talent calculation.

We are losing a lot next year, probably more than the talent calculator will say and need a very good class in 2021. I’m not saying we won’t or can’t get there, but we still have a long way to go. I also think last year is likely to be the exception more so than the rule with regards to transfers. I don’t expect to find a Luke Ford level talent every year. Peters, Sydney, Behbe, Petitbon all saw huge holes/opportunities to step in and that is 5 of top 8 in talent rankings. 2020 High school recruiting rankings were bad, 2021 is still bad at mid terms, call it what it is.

Transfer recruiting was great in 2019, 2020 Is still tbd, but is unlikely to be anywhere near 2020. You also need to give the staff credit for the number of players that have outplayed the rankings, many of them seniors this year. I’m still a fan of Lovie, but I have thought for a long time 2021 class is key to long term depth and success. We need to do better than 14th, I’m happy with recent momentum, but there is still a long way to go.

#1,300      
Maybe some of the folks on staff are terrible reads of potential commits, relays that to insiders yet never comes full circle. unfortunate, but not first time I’ve heard this.

Status
Not open for further replies.