Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,451      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
My cousin in Bettendorf said that is what Iowa basically does now. They have had much more success with 3* guys than the 4* and 5* guys, who basically just caused trouble for them.
I think that is more of a myth. Iowa fans got high hopes with some huge classes with 4 and 5 starts around 2004 and 2005. Injuries and transfers didn't turn out like they wanted so the narrative was, KF did better developing the 3* guys. They have brought in plenty of high-end talent though. You can make a lot of 3* skill position players look great when you have a ton of talent on the O and D lines.

#1,452      
My cousin in Bettendorf said that is what Iowa basically does now. They have had much more success with 3* guys than the 4* and 5* guys, who basically just caused trouble for them.

All schools recruit all players who’s film they like regardless of stars. No school will turn down a 5 star if they can get him. If they get a good feeling, they are going all in.

#1,453      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

I understand that their staff goes by their own evaluations instead of website rankings but let's make this an exercise via 247 rankings of their 2012 commitments through current day:

Faith Ekakitie (1st overall pick in CFL in 2017)
Jaleel Johnson (4th round pick by Vikings)
Ryan Ward (role player, never played professionally)
*Also of note, all three of these guys came from Illinois.

None

None

James Daniels (2nd round pick by the Bears)

None

AJ Epenesa (2nd round pick by the Bills)
Mark Kallenberger (role player, currently on Iowa roster)
Tristan Wirfs (1st round pick by the Bucs)

None

Jestin Jacobs (redshirted)
Ezra Miller (redshirted)
Tyler Endres (redshirted)

So in the last eight recruiting classes, they signed nine 4* recruits and one 5* recruit, which resulted in a 1st round draft pick, two 2nd round draft picks, a 4th round draft pick, one CFL player, two role players, and three redshirted freshmen that are too early to tell. I'd say your cousin needs to reconsider these thoughts.

#1,454      
I understand that their staff goes by their own evaluations instead of website rankings but let's make this an exercise via 247 rankings of their 2012 commitments through current day:

None

None

None

None

Ezra Miller (redshirted)

So in the last eight recruiting classes, they signed nine 4* recruits and one 5* recruit, which resulted in a 1st round draft pick, two 2nd round draft picks, a 4th round draft pick, one CFL player, two role players, and three redshirted freshmen that are too early to tell. I'd say your cousin needs to reconsider these thoughts.
I feel like (9) 4*, and (1) 5* recruits is a low number for a program as successful as Iowa. I really feel like the numbers you have provided support the cousin's insight.
How many of these high star recruits are the other Big 10 programs bringing in?

#1,455      

None

None

None

None

Ezra Miller (redshirted)

From 2012-2019 they have only (10), 4* or 5* players. If they have around 20 person classes each year, that breaks down to (160) 3* players or lower.

#1,457      
2020-06-07 (2).png

Updated with new offers and other players removed.

#1,460      
I use it as a confidence meter for the recruit. Green= like our chances, yellow= mutual interest and were in the mix, Orange= in the mix and red=not likely.

Out of curiosity, why not capture this in a live document, such as Google docs? This allows us to track it without waiting for a snapshot update.

#1,464      

touper

'burbs
Is Kevon Billingsley someone we have a chance with? Impressive offer list and has reopened his recruitment

#1,468      

Deleted member 656517

D
Any chance we could make another play at Denver Warren? I see he’s gone the prep school route

#1,473      

Deleted member 746648

D
Is it just me or did 247 rerate some of our commits? I thought I remembered at least one being unrated.

#1,474      
Status
Not open for further replies.