Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,578      
Also If you all wanna watch some really fun HS film. Watch the Chevy brenson kid. I love this kids film. @moggs3 has been on it from the start. Kids gonna be really good. Prolly ends up as a split out TE similar to barker. Great feet, massive frame, good hands. He’s also shot up 38 spots on the 247 WR rankings. He’s gone from unranked to a top 1000 kid and a top 15 player in Missouri.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/11865934/Chevalier-Brenson

Last edited:
#1,579      
Also If you all wanna watch some really fun HS film. Watch the Chevy brenson kid. I love this kids film. @moggs3 has been on it from the start. Kids gonna be really good. Prolly ends up as a split out TE similar to barker. Great feet, massive frame, good hands. He’s also shot up 38 spots on the 247 WR rankings. He’s gone from unranked to a top 1000 kid and a top 15 player in Missouri.

Nothing set in stone but by July 6 (which includes that day) I expect to have atleast 3 additional commits between now and then. Just my feeling from what I have been seeing and hearing not hard to guess 2 of the 3 either.

#1,580      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

I have zilch for scouting background, but I'm more optimistic of him sticking at WR. If he's moved to TE, it's going to take a couple years at least before he sees the field with physical development and blocking technique. His route running is much improved from his sophomore field. But his hands stick out the most, this recruit can high point the ball and catch the ball in awkward positions. Because of that, I'd have my fingers crossed that he can stick at WR and we can try to maximize his athleticism.

#1,581      

Illinivek23

Gurnee
I have zilch for scouting background, but I'm more optimistic of him sticking at WR. If he's moved to TE, it's going to take a couple years at least before he sees the field with physical development and blocking technique. His route running is much improved from his sophomore field. But his hands stick out the most, this recruit can high point the ball and catch the ball in awkward positions. Because of that, I'd have my fingers crossed that he can stick at WR and we can try to maximize his athleticism.

Love that name!

#1,583      

His height and hands made me think of Oliver Williams, oldest of three brothers who played WR for us.

#1,584      

altenberger22

South Carolina
His height and hands made me think of Oliver Williams, oldest of three brothers who played WR for us.
The Williams brothers. Nice reference!! Perhaps the family that has contributed the most to Illini football ---- second only to the extended Butkus family?

#1,585      
Carsello to NW. we were his first P5 offer. We contacted him the most during his recruitment. Northwestern offered late and 6 days later he commits. But we don’t care about instate kids!!

#1,592      
I have mixed feelings about the class so far. Very intriguing. Lovie and staff have done pretty well with their evals. Would just feel better with some star power. I think everyone would. Not sure what separates our classes from the rest of the big ten.

#1,593      
I have mixed feelings about the class so far. Very intriguing. Lovie and staff have done pretty well with their evals. Would just feel better with some star power. I think everyone would. Not sure what separates our classes from the rest of the big ten.
I have pretty good feelings about this class. After 4 years we finally have roster depth and can develop the players we are picking up.

Prior we had been rushing young talent on to the field which is great in certain aspects as there is no substitute for game reps, but also encourages them to lean on bad habits and athleticism instead of refining technique that in the long run would make them way better.

While the initial stats on this class are not great, what it has is speed in spades though and since we finally have what looks like a B1G two deep depth chart where we can teach the speed the right technique and they will translate better to the field and some might even get drafted.

Lovie isn't going to make us a power house, but we will be relevant by time he leaves here.

#1,594      
I have pretty good feelings about this class. After 4 years we finally have roster depth and can develop the players we are picking up.

Prior we had been rushing young talent on to the field which is great in certain aspects as there is no substitute for game reps, but also encourages them to lean on bad habits and athleticism instead of refining technique that in the long run would make them way better.

While the initial stats on this class are not great, what it has is speed in spades though and since we finally have what looks like a B1G two deep depth chart where we can teach the speed the right technique and they will translate better to the field and some might even get drafted.

Lovie isn't going to make us a power house, but we will be relevant by time he leaves here.

LOVEEEE the speed we have coming for sure

#1,597      
I think the range is much wider than that. I haven’t given up on powerhouse. A good year this year, & I’m hoping we can get back to the average rating of the Beason-Williams class with classes of 20+, start stacking those classes & I think we can own the west. Unfortunately, I also don’t think Lovie not making it past this season is off the table. The B1G west margin between 1-7 is relatively small & I don’t think either end is out of play.

#1,598      
I think the range is much wider than that. I haven’t given up on powerhouse. A good year this year, & I’m hoping we can get back to the average rating of the Beason-Williams class with classes of 20+, start stacking those classes & I think we can own the west. Unfortunately, I also don’t think Lovie not making it past this season is off the table. The B1G west margin between 1-7 is relatively small & I don’t think either end is out of play.

Agree with the wide range for sure. Wide range of speed too since this is the track forum.

#1,600      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Carsello to NW. we were his first P5 offer. We contacted him the most during his recruitment. Northwestern offered late and 6 days later he commits. But we don’t care about instate kids!!

Can we pump the brakes on this for every in-state kid that chooses elsewhere? We don't need to goad posters if a recruit doesn't get an Illinois offer and commits elsewhere or if the staff offers and commits elsewhere.

This kid grew up a big NW fan, is from that area, he chose NW. And offering a recruit the June before his senior year is not a late offer (my guess is NW knew they could take their time on him and would have offered earlier if they felt pressure that Illinois could snag him). And this is the exact thinking that's problematic. The staff needs to be more active in the state but (emphasis added) becoming active in the state does not guarantee commitments.

Status
Not open for further replies.