Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine being Shammond Cooper right now.

You are being recruited by basically every P5 program. You have a final four of Texas, Oklahoma, Mizzou, and Illinois. Oklahoma publicly showers you in love. Shockingly, you pick Illinois on January 3rd. You sign on Feb 6th.

On February 6th, the same day, Lovie announces that Miles Smith will be switching to coach LBs. He has no professional experience coaching linebackers. (I recognize that Lovie does the majority of the coaching of this group, but that just makes this point even more ridiculous in my opinion.)

You develop on the bench for your freshman year (probably was the plan all along, but hard to believe given all his "early playing time" quotes").

Miles hits the road to recruit. He recruits only linebackers. Who does he bring in?
2020 - Lavar Gardner (Only other P5 offer that we know of is from Nebraska)
2019 - Tarique Barnes (Had 0 other P5 offers on the table at the time he committed)
2021 - Dylan Rosiek (Illini only P5 offer)
2021 - Trevor Moffitt (Illini only P5 offer)
2021 - Kalen Villanueva (Illini only P5 offer)

To recap, thats 5 recruits with 6 P5 offers. Cooper had 30+ alone.

How excited do you think Shammond Cooper is going to be to line up next to these other recruits? Does Cooper think that Miles Smith is going to develop them?

Do you stay with a company who only hires people who likely can't do their job at a high level? Or do you start to look around?
You seem to be implying that none of these guys can play at the P5 level. What are your football credentials?

You are being recruited by basically every P5 program. You have a final four of Texas, Oklahoma, Mizzou, and Illinois. Oklahoma publicly showers you in love. Shockingly, you pick Illinois on January 3rd. You sign on Feb 6th.

On February 6th, the same day, Lovie announces that Miles Smith will be switching to coach LBs. He has no professional experience coaching linebackers. (I recognize that Lovie does the majority of the coaching of this group, but that just makes this point even more ridiculous in my opinion.)

You develop on the bench for your freshman year (probably was the plan all along, but hard to believe given all his "early playing time" quotes").

Miles hits the road to recruit. He recruits only linebackers. Who does he bring in?
2019 - Tarique Barnes (Had 0 other P5 offers on the table at the time he committed)

How excited do you think Shammond Cooper is going to be to line up next to these other recruits? Does Cooper think that Miles Smith is going to develop them?

Do you stay with a company who only hires people who likely can't do their job at a high level? Or do you start to look around?
Tarique Barnes looked pretty good as a true freshman. Can’t speak on the others because they haven’t played yet, but I’m sure if you look past the stars and he sees that we’re bringing in linebackers who are 6’2 and run in the 4.5s I don’t think he minds

You seem to be implying that none of these guys can play at the P5 level. What are your football credentials?

Don't know why you are critiquing me here. My football credentials? Very minimal. If this is your really your stance, you should be critiquing every other LB coach in the country at a Power 5 school who didn't think these kids could play at their school for one reason or another. Is your argument going to be that Miles Smith is a brilliant talent evaluator?

Tarique Barnes looked pretty good as a true freshman. Can’t speak on the others because they haven’t played yet, but I’m sure if you look past the stars and he sees that we’re bringing in linebackers who are 6’2 and run in the 4.5s I don’t think he minds

Barnes did have moments last year, and I think Gardner will surprise as well. I think Barnes will get a chance to start next year. But I would argue that this "diamond in the rough" approach doesn't lead to much longevity.

Don't know why you are critiquing me here. My football credentials? Very minimal. If this is your really your stance, you should be critiquing every other LB coach in the country at a Power 5 school who didn't think these kids could play at their school for one reason or another. Is your argument going to be that Miles Smith is a brilliant talent evaluator?

Barnes did have moments last year, and I think Gardner will surprise as well. I think Barnes will get a chance to start next year. But I would argue that this "diamond in the rough" approach doesn't lead to much longevity.
For this defense to work we need long linebackers with speed, we aren't going to be hitting on the complete package guys since we aren't bama or osu, so getting the 3 star commits that fit the mold is the obvious move. You haven't given Miles time to prove anything, you've just automatically called him a failure is the problem the other posters and I have.

Deleted member 654622

D
For this defense to work we need long linebackers with speed, we aren't going to be hitting on the complete package guys since we aren't bama or osu, so getting the 3 star commits that fit the mold is the obvious move. You haven't given Miles time to prove anything, you've just automatically called him a failure is the problem the other posters and I have.
I'm going to go ahead and add on that Shammond was VERY undersized last year. He wasn't getting playing time at any of the schools mentioned. This year though..... he will see the field

Deleted member 654622

D
Ran the 40 in 4.52 last year at an opening regional. Yep he is athletic
Funny his timeline shows he picked up a Navy offer right after he committed to us

And just for Shammond comparisons
Shammond out of HS - Shuttle 4.65 and Verticle 31.40 only verified results. Listed 6'2 195
Kalen V Shuttle 4.32 and 4.32 Verticles 39.1 and 40.50 Verified 6'1 206

Talent and instincts are a whole separate conversation. But he is not being surrounded with incapable athletes

Last edited by a moderator:

Not critiquing you at all. You are just being highly critical and wanted to know who you played for and where you coached. Was confused about your level of expertise.

Just got done watching his film. Gotta be honest, it’s a flyer. He’s athletic yes, but isn’t polished at all. He wasn’t even playing LB most of last year, cause on his film he looked about 185. It’s basically the same thing as basketball did with lieb, take a guy with traits (height being lieb, speed and size with Kalen) and put them through the S&C programs and when they are a redshirt JR see what you have. I will give the staff chances when it comes to flyers on LB’s and DB’s. They tend to hit on a lot of them (Barnes, Witherspoon, brown, Hobbs, Hansen, green)

Just got done watching his film. Gotta be honest, it’s a flyer. He’s athletic yes, but isn’t polished at all. He wasn’t even playing LB most of last year, cause on his film he looked about 185. It’s basically the same thing as basketball did with lieb, take a guy with traits (height being lieb, speed and size with Kalen) and put them through the S&C programs and when they are a redshirt JR see what you have. I will give the staff chances when it comes to flyers on LB’s and DB’s. They tend to hit on a lot of them (Barnes, Witherspoon, brown, Hobbs, Hansen, green)

I take this kid in a heartbeat. He has a camp timed 4.5 and 40” vertical. His measurable aren’t just P5, these are 5* that would be good in an NFL combine right now traits.
You can see from his timeline that he has put on 40lbs of muscle in last 2 years. He is a late bloomer. Also seems to be there academically given his bio and service academy offers.

Obviously he could just suck at football and maybe doesn’t pan out, but I don’t see any reason to believe this kid isn’t a solid add

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Theodore Lockely (2021 "Commit") briefly had a tweet up saying "Recruitment is 100% open btw." Was just taken down though.

I don’t know much about what football talent looks like, but I know for years we’ve been crazy about Wisconsin basketball recruits to their system and then killus with skilled bigs who weren’t necessarily highly regarded high school players.

What if, Lovie knows what he’s looking for and is doing the same thing?

Maybe if he played better than Barnes did his frosh year???

2021 offers and rankings are very tough. No spring or summer camps are impacting everything in regards to those offers and rankings. Except for those that were already very highly ranked, we can't really look at very much. The difference in a kid between the ages of 16 and 17 or, 17 and 18, can be enormous!

Title...

I see Wiltfong on 247 put in a CB for Lewis to Mizzou last week with a 9 confidence and SWITCHED IT to UCLA today with a 9. Any insight on that?

illini80

Forgottonia
I don’t know much about what football talent looks like, but I know for years we’ve been crazy about Wisconsin basketball recruits to their system and then killus with skilled bigs who weren’t necessarily highly regarded high school players.

What if, Lovie knows what he’s looking for and is doing the same thing?
That would be a fantastic scenario, but until we prove that to be the case with consistent winning, the questions will remain.

Deleted member 746648

D
58416a6.png

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I saw this and thought it was interesting.

I wonder how many of those are duplicate. Like if someone is in Chicago or Indiana, they are 500 miles from a LOT of B1G schools.

Pretty much, Just because we reach Columbus in 290 miles doesn't mean we are even in-contact with the talent there....

Title...

I see Wiltfong on 247 put in a CB for Lewis to Mizzou last week with a 9 confidence and SWITCHED IT to UCLA today with a 9. Any insight on that?

He is committed to UCLA

Status
Not open for further replies.