Illinois Football Staff Thread

Y'know when the job posting for an offensive coach went up on the University's website before Lovie was announced, my thought was that that might represent a compromise of sorts with HR. Get an exception to bring in Lovie quickly in exchange for going through those hoops with the assistants (which I don't remember being posted in the past). So my guess was that the official announcements of the assistants would have to wait until the posting closed on the 13th.

But now Butkus is official. He was the first one to be confirmed on Twitter too, but I wonder if him being the only one who was previously a U of I employee makes his hiring simpler from an HR perspective as well?

Who knows about the machinations. Seems clear enough that whatever the official Twitter page says, McGee, Nickerson, Butkus, Hayes-Stoker and obviously Phair are all on board and everything else remains a question mark.

IIRC the article in the NG stated that Wilson and HR waived the grace period because the assistants positions needed to be filled at once due to the circumstances.

Dan's out here killing me on the joke front. No fair, he's got Photoshop!

IllinoisLoyalty ‏@IllinoisLoyalty 1h1 hour ago
Luke Butkus returns to Illinois as offensive line coach
http://fightingillini.com/news/2016...urns-to-illinois-as-offensive-line-coach.aspx
CdOoVWvVIAAwMdT.jpg

JFW recently posted a pic with Vontae Davis and Kevin Mitchell. Mitchell is starting his first season at UNC as Lou's assistant S&C coach. He probably isn't ready to run the show by himself right now but maybe an option down the road.

Pay could be being negotiated for Phair, because if he isn't the DC, he could be taking a cut. I wonder if they will give him an Assistant Head Coach title.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
As many of us are trying to peg how much each coach will be paid, here is a small data point for another Big Ten hire: Schiano is going to be paid $600k to be Ohio State defensive coordinator.

As many of us are trying to peg how much each coach will be paid, here is a small data point for another Big Ten hire: Schiano is going to be paid $600k to be Ohio State defensive coordinator.

Isn't he a Co-DC? along with Fickell? Can't remember if that is the case. Pretty good duo

Also has the associate head coach tab. Guessing Nickerson comes in around that figure, too.

The payroll still has room for one more big contract, so it'll be interesting to see how we finish off.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Well I assume that means Lovie has others in mind. Wonder who the "Illini" will be that he keeps if any. Nate?

Holecek was offered the job but turned it down again. Has a couple of sons who will be soon enrolled at Loyola.