Not open for further replies.

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
Wow, these are hideous.

O3Swuo7.gif

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
One thing I didn't notice on first glance. The edges of the jerseys and sides are textured to look striped. Idk the technical term for it, and these are identical to the subtle stripes on the numbers.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I see those from a distance and wonder what team is wearing them. The circle block I is OK, but the jerseys still need to say ILLINOIS above the numbers or a prominent :illinois: on the front of the left shoulder (above the heart), like below.

adidas-michigan-football-uniform-675x380.jpg

But if the kids like 'em, and win more games, I could care less.

You ought to. These uniforms represent the program and the university. And they are what we have to look at 12 times a season. It matters to all us alums. It's our university too.

ca43e187d7e4996b4ad87ce965af87f0.jpg

The way it was is the way it ought to be. Just look how classy this look is.
BTW, the words to Alma Mater are NOT:
Hail to the orange,
Hail to the orange

ca43e187d7e4996b4ad87ce965af87f0.jpg

The way it was is the way it ought to be. Just look how classy this look is.
BTW, the words to Alma Mater are NOT:
Hail to the orange,
Hail to the orange

Wish these new ones looked more like this....like the stripes on the pants and the helmet.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
This redesign is very uninspiring, but I think it will look okay on the field. I actually liked the little shield at the collar; should have kept that. I also don't like the complete lack of stripes. Striping is traditional for Illinois on both pants and helmets. I am glad, however, that there's no blue helmet (aside from gray unis) in this redesign. And personally, I like the gray uniforms.

Unfortunately, with uniforms, even if they did come out with a great redesign, they would probably just change it a few years later. And I also hate that they change color combos so often (ie, O/B/O, O/B/B, O/O/W, etc.); find the home color combo that looks best (probably O/B/O) and the best road ones (W/W/W) and stick with those, then hit the grays once a year. Done.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
This redesign is very uninspiring, but I think it will look okay on the field. I actually liked the little shield at the collar; should have kept that. I also don't like the complete lack of stripes. Striping is traditional for Illinois on both pants and helmets. I am glad, however, that there's no blue helmet (aside from gray unis) in this redesign. And personally, I like the gray uniforms.

I first started following the Illini when I was a kid back in the '50's and remember that they wore plain orange pants -- no stripes, and I believe they had done so for years. The new pants are pretty much the same as those, and I like them.

Last edited by a moderator:

BZuppke

Plainfield
Whatever they do will be criticized. Beauty as is said is in the eye of the beholder. I for one (apparently the only one) will miss the burnt orange metallic helmet.

The more I look, the less I hate. Still not a fan, but I don't hate them. Just don't do all Orange, please.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
I first started following the Illini when I was a kid back in the '50's and remember that they wore plain orange pants -- no stripes, and I believe they had done so for years. The new pants are pretty much the same as those, and I like them.
Good point. I was basing my statement off of watching the Illini starting in the early '80s. But if way before then they weren't wearing stripes, I misspoke.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
The more I look, the less I hate. Still not a fan, but I don't hate them. Just don't do all Orange, please.

I have a feeling these uniforms will look better in practice (in games, long term) than in the unveiling. I feel like the rebrand a few years ago was the opposite. The football uniforms looked amazing at the unveiling and in the photos -- I was thinking "these are the best uniforms in the country!" -- but for me at least, they sort of fell flat on TV. I think part of that was the wrong color combos. They seemed to wear the W/O/W combo too much at home, at least at first, which I thought was lame.

Agreed there, but then again the white pants and white helmet were always my least favorite attributes, especially the pants. White pants, especially at home, are way too big of a fad with too many schools with more than one color. Michigan St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Alabama, whoever, can pull it off because they only have 1 color. We have 2.

Deleted member 29907

D
Two words : "God Awful". Way too close to the ugly SU unis.

VERY lazy effort IMO - we should stick with what we had last year.

U-G-L-Y

The only thing positive I can say is at least this sets us up for a big uni upgrade in 2 years when we are pre season top 25.

I have a feeling these uniforms will look better in practice (in games, long term) than in the unveiling. I feel like the rebrand a few years ago was the opposite. The football uniforms looked amazing at the unveiling and in the photos -- I was thinking "these are the best uniforms in the country!" -- but for me at least, they sort of fell flat on TV. I think part of that was the wrong color combos. They seemed to wear the W/O/W combo too much at home, at least at first, which I thought was lame.

I actually kinda feel the opposite. White elements really create contrast which pops on TV.

If the helmets and pants had stripes (even thin ones like the throwback uni's) it would be much better --- also, if the white jerseys had a blue border on the numbers (like the blue block I had on the helmets) it would be nice .

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
If the helmets and pants had stripes (even thin ones like the throwback uni's) it would be much better --- also, if the white jerseys had a blue border on the numbers (like the blue block I had on the helmets) it would be nice .
Yes. Stripes are what's missing.

Any chance the university revisits these incredibly ugly uniforms and tweaks them a bit? Really, really hope so....

Status
Not open for further replies.