Illinois Football Uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Jun 16, 2017, 11:22 AM
redwingillini11
So it seems that there is a new football uniform set in the works, to be delivered for the 2018 season I believe. The biggest visible change it seems would be the colors of the numbers. Blue numbers on orange, orange numbers on blue, and maybe blue on white. The jersey numbers might also be slanted and closer to the modern Illinois font rather than the current rounder numbers. It seemed that the Shield would be off of the collar. I've also heard that Lovie isn't a huge fan of the shield, and likes to keep it simple with the I.

Uniform #ScoopCity strikes again!

I think these look awesome. Is it a bit simplistic and less unique? Yes. Is it a really clean look that should play well with recruits? Absolutely.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I wish the shield was the logo used on the collar. Perfect sport for the shield. Shield helmet stickers as well.

The white combo might be my favorite illini football uni set ever. The orange--my least favorite (this is of course accounting for style in the decades). Blue's are just meh to me. Huge fan of the grey ghosts but thats probably the millennial in me.

Love minimalistic unis, but they took it too far. Glad they got rid of the metallic helmets. C- overall.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
The orange set is not good, mostly because I think it's really hard to pull off an orange-centric football uniform with another dark color. Clemson, Texas and Miami do it by leaning on white in a big way.

The whites were - and remain - great. Lets stay away from monochrome combinations.

t7nich

Central IL
The white sets and grey sets look good.
The color of the orange helmet is an upgrade.
The blue sets and orange sets are not good. In fact, those orange uni's will be the ugliest we've worn in a long time. Orange jersey should have white numbers, not blue. Looks too much like Syracuse, which is not a good thing.

How do they fail this miserably, what a joke. How can you say....yeah these look good...

Just more boilerplate Nike. These work for schools like MSU or Wazzou because they just have 1 primary color they can use to go with the white. Orange and Navy are too different to have with nothing to break them up.
Have always hated the white pants and helmet, which will now seem even worse with the lack of color on them.

Just wish they could make the I on the helmet look straight instead of slanted forward...

I know, it drives me insane. That's not any designer's fault, that's our equipment staff.

I think they set the helmets on a table and put the I so it is straight how it sits...they don't compensate for the helmet tilting forward when it's on a human head.

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA
I think they set the helmets on a table and put the I so it is straight how it sits...they don't compensate for the helmet tilting forward when it's on a human head.

And do helmets sit differently on different players? which might be the reason they just decide to do the uniform placement on the helmets while they are sitting rather than trying to compensate for how the helmet will sit on the head?

The biggest question mark for me is whether the white uniforms will have blue numbers, orange numbers, or perhaps sets with both? In the hype video it appears that Tymir Oliver is wearing a white jersey with blue numbers (which, by the way, looks incredible and would be my favorite in the whole set) while in the pictures the white jersey has orange numbers. Can anyone clarify?

The biggest question mark for me is whether the white uniforms will have blue numbers, orange numbers, or perhaps sets with both? In the hype video it appears that Tymir Oliver is wearing a white jersey with blue numbers (which, by the way, looks incredible and would be my favorite in the whole set) while in the pictures the white jersey has orange numbers. Can anyone clarify?

Those are the Gray Ghost unis on Oliver. The white jerseys have orange numbers.

I'm lukewarm on the Gray Ghost idea generally, but that's the only one in the set that's an improvement on what we had before. The two-tone is effective in that context.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I don't like the all Orange. Looks like a giant carrot.

Orange pants with blue jerseys should be inverted. Bright colors look bigger, dark colors make objects look smaller. So we want our guys to look smaller on top and bigger on bottom? Who arre we trying to impress with that?

Hate the shield. Glad its gone.

I think these are a definite downgrade. They are bland, look too much like Syracuse and have no real identity. I really liked the last set except for how metallic the orange helmet was but I don't see a lot of positives with these new ones.

UofI08

Chicago
The shield was too perfect for the collar on the football uniforms. Too bad it's gone.

Anyone know if our new pants will have a logo on them? That was one random small problem I had with the rebrand uniforms. Seems like nearly every other team had a logo on their pants except us. Woulda been a perfect spot for a shield.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Shield looks contrived by someone who thinks (s)he's a designer.

:shield:= :tsk:

:illinois:= :thumb:

:chief:= :clappy:

Obviously, people like what they like, and we've spilled gigs of data bickering about the merits of the Shield, but I think it's beyond debate that is it the most distinctive thing we have, at least to the segment of our fanbase that isn't playing make-believe about an old logo that is no longer used.

Status
Not open for further replies.