Illinois Football Uniforms

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Whoa. The 150 patch is way too large & obnoxious for every single team to have to wear it every single game.

They really should've done a color match like the B1G logo.

I have come to believe we really should have "simpler" uniforms to fit the brand we want, but for some reason I just don't like these. There is like nothing going on. I actually kind of liked the ones we had before this, TBH. It shouldn't be that hard to screw it up, haha. What I think is more important is how we USE the jerseys we have (once they have been designed to at least be competent). I think the random mixing and matching is awful. I put forth a suggestion template kind of like this in the past, using next year's games:

vs. Akron - Orange/Blue/Orange (default home)
at UConn - Orange/White/Orange (default road)
vs. Eastern Michigan - Orange/Blue/Orange (default home)
vs. Nebraska - Orange/Blue/Orange (default home)
at Minnesota - Orange/White/Orange (default road)
vs. Michigan - All Blue/all Orange/whatever ... use a random big game as your gimmick game
vs. Wisconsin - Gray Ghost uniforms for Homecoming IF you're going to keep them ... I kind of like the idea, and my friends think it's really cool, but I see the argument that we should be wearing O/B/O on Homecoming, too...
at Purdue - Orange/White/Orange (default road)
vs. Rutgers - Orange/Blue/Orange (default home)
at Michigan State - Orange/White/Orange (default road)
at Iowa - Orange/White/Orange (default road)
vs. Northwestern - Blue/Blue/White or Blue/Orange/White and Blue/White/Blue on the road ... LOOK. LIKE. THE. BEARS. Never let those nerds forget our connection to the Bears and Chicago and just how many more alumni and fans we have in the area than they do, even when we've absolutely sucked for years.

Basic formula? Wear your regular jerseys except for special occasions. If we are to keep the Gray Ghost uniforms, wear them on homecoming. Pick one random "big game" (preferably a night game vs. a name opponent) to wear all Orange or all Blue. Against Northwestern, pick a Bears-style lineup. As much as I used to defend the all white look (it honestly does look pretty sharp), it just doesn't look like US. I have come around to believe that I would rather be less stylish but more definitive; someone shouldn't wonder who's playing without looking at the scoreline, they should think "oh, that's Illinois."

Last edited:

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
vs. Northwestern - Blue/Blue/White or Blue/Orange/White and Blue/White/Blue on the road ... LOOK. LIKE. THE. BEARS. Never let those nerds forget our connection to the Bears and Chicago and just how many more alumni and fans we have in the area than they do, even when we've absolutely sucked for years.

YUP.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
6R6U7PMCWBHXNJBRYXAJ3PR3IY.jpg

haydenint.jpg

JJE

Bethalto, IL
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't whitman say that 2019 there was going to be a football jersey overhaul? Maybe I didn't understand it or misremembered, but I'm curious if that's the case for this year.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't whitman say that 2019 there was going to be a football jersey overhaul? Maybe I didn't understand it or misremembered, but I'm curious if that's the case for this year.

We can only pray you remember correctly. I actually liked the “Cubit uniforms” (how I remember them), but I hate these. Be flashy or be traditional, ours are just ... blank, lol.

Pretty sure we are getting a basketball uniform overhaul this year. Our current football uni's will probably be here 4 more years

Deleted member 716187

D
Illinois needs to adopt these logos. Its sad that a lot of "traditional" illini fans are turning away from the program due to their frustration of the whole chief thing. I think this would be a great compromise for a logo that doesnt culturally appropriate and pays respect to the men and women of illinois who fought for this country. Why have the nickname the "fighting illini" if our logo is just an orange I? we should just be the block I's

Attachments

• fighing_illini.0 (1).jpg
    fighing_illini.0 (1).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 8o7wHLr (1).png
    8o7wHLr (1).png
    33.1 KB · Views: 286

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Illinois needs to adopt these logos. Its sad that a lot of "traditional" illini fans are turning away from the program due to their frustration of the whole chief thing. I think this would be a great compromise for a logo that doesnt culturally appropriate and pays respect to the men and women of illinois who fought for this country. Why have the nickname the "fighting illini" if our logo is just an orange I? we should just be the block I's

source.gif

JJE

Bethalto, IL
I actually like the football jerseys. I think the basketball jerseys are awful. Excluding the throwbacks of course. I just couldn't remember if JW said the football team was going to get new jerseys this fall.

I'm sure there is zero chance that a logo would be accepted that has a gun it like the first logo. The second one, a casual observer is going to have no idea what it is.

Deleted member 654622

D
I'm sure there is zero chance that a logo would be accepted that has a gun it like the first logo. The second one, a casual observer is going to have no idea what it is.

I like the idea of a soldier as the mascot. Those logos could use some work though

wILL-INI

Charlotte, NC
I miss the helmet stripes. Was sad when Lovie was the one who wanted to get rid of those.

Not a huge fan of coaches getting to dictate a whole lot on the uniform side, to begin with. All's it takes is one PJ Fleck and all your uniform tradition goes out the window for his stop-over stepping-stone 3-year tenure as a coach and his latest nonsense saying. I'll never forgive Becks for getting rid of the white facemask on our orange helmet. Nothing's looked right since.

redwingillini11

North Aurora
I highly doubt we will have different football uniforms this year. Last year was our big overhaul. What we should be expecting is a overhaul of the basketball uniforms which, as of last year, the plan was to make the uniform *mostly* consistent with the football uniforms. I know that's not what you want to hear, but trust me it should be an improvement compared to our outgoing look.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Not a huge fan of coaches getting to dictate a whole lot on the uniform side, to begin with. All's it takes is one PJ Fleck and all your uniform tradition goes out the window for his stop-over stepping-stone 3-year tenure as a coach and his latest nonsense saying.

Worse than that really, it's kind of become industry standard for every new coach to make some sort of change the uniforms to stamp their identity on the program.

Athletic departments should have a brand director position.

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to make the image smaller. In my opinion, these are the best jerseys we have worn in a while. Did they have issues? Yes. The collar was too big, and it's annoying how the stripe on the orange pants didn't match the stripe on the orange helmet but they were close to perfect. You can instantly recognize who is playing, and they use the contrast between orange blue and white so well. I think our current set doesn't do both those things. Just had to vent a little haha.
Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 11.30.16 AM.png Edit: Well I did figure it out