Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,809      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
No joke, Loyola is going to be tough. They've got Chastain back from the knee injury, Donte Ingram who started at Simeon during DJ and Murrow's junior year will be back, Henricksen picked Krutwig over Tilmon on his All-State team and says Krutwig is the best passing big man he's seen since he started scouting (plus the kid is a monster, looks like a pro wrestler), Negron had legit high d1 interest and Lucas Williamson just led Young to a state championship and might have had the best state finals weekend along with Horton-Tucker of anybody down there. With Wichita State gone, Loyola might be in the Dance next year, two years at the most if the class stays together.

Could be shades of the early 60's again, when Loyola became the only school in the State of Illinois to ever win an NCAA championship (makes me sad to type that), not that I'm saying that will happen, but they are going to be legitimately good.

#2,810      
Could be shades of the early 60's again, when Loyola became the only school in the State of Illinois to ever win an NCAA championship (makes me sad to type that), not that I'm saying that will happen, but they are going to be legitimately good.

I follow the Valley mostly. I don't see the Loyola thing you guys are seeing. But the Valley is there for the taking.

#2,811      

illinifan87

The Windy City
Mark Smith is very good. But his recruitment has gotten insane. Like he's the flavor of the month and everyone wants a taste. I'd expect this sort of hoopla for a one and done recruit, but for Smith?

Not disrespecting the kid at all. He'd be a major coup for us. Just nuts how Duke wants in now.

#2,813      
Mark Smith is very good. But his recruitment has gotten insane. Like he's the flavor of the month and everyone wants a taste. I'd expect this sort of hoopla for a one and done recruit, but for Smith?

Not disrespecting the kid at all. He'd be a major coup for us. Just nuts how Duke wants in now.

If Tom Izzo, John Calipari, and Mike Krzyzewski are this interested, I'd say he's more than just a flavor of the month.

#2,814      

illinifan87

The Windy City
If Tom Izzo, John Calipari, and Mike Krzyzewski are this interested, I'd say he's more than just a flavor of the month.

I think you misinterpreted what I said. Smith is good. But I also think this is a product of being named Mr. Basketball in Illinois.

Why didn't Duke get in earlier? Why wait until after Kentucky and MSU come calling? If he was that big a priority? Because Coach K is all over this state for recruiting.

#2,815      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Something tells me OA makes this recruiting game one in which we finally are dressing for the Varsity squad. OA having the direct knowledge of UK and the Blue Blood's recruiting process benefits us now that he is talking with Smith on our behalf. I just have a good feeling about it. It's just a feeling.
It could just be the RedBull. :illinois:

#2,816      
The late interest in primarily a product of it being late in the recruiting period. There aren't many recruits that had such little interest with amount of talent he has. The blue bloods are jumping on that opportunity to fill one of their departing spots.

#2,818      

illinifan87

The Windy City
The late interest in primarily a product of it being late in the recruiting period. There aren't many recruits that had such little interest with amount of talent he has. The blue bloods are jumping on that opportunity to fill one of their departing spots.

Good point. Which is what I was getting at. Kinda like the transfer window when teams fall all over themselves to fill spots. Speaks more about the market than the talent available.

Again, not dissing Smith. He's very good. But this late recruiting window, like you mentioned, is certainly a big factor.

#2,819      

illinifan87

The Windy City
But good for Smith. He didn't get the attention early on because he blew up so late. Must be awesome to have all these programs fawning over you and he should take advantage of every second to be woo'd.

Izzo and Calipari in your living room? Damn.

#2,820      

illinifan87

The Windy City
Something tells me OA makes this recruiting game one in which we finally are dressing for the Varsity squad. OA having the direct knowledge of UK and the Blue Blood's recruiting process benefits us now that he is talking with Smith on our behalf. I just have a good feeling about it. It's just a feeling.
It could just be the RedBull. :illinois:

Coincidence that since Antigua was hired things have shifted away from MSU a bit? And Illinois is 'back in it?'

Again, that could just be the process playing itself out but wouldn't shock me if Antigua already has had an impact.

#2,821      

If K can get in on him the last couple weeks(at most??) and get him, I give up!! I still feel confident Smith comes here.

#2,822      
Mark Smith is a backup plan of Trevon Duval for Duke. Hope he understands that.

UK just got Jemarl Baker committed, and they are not in short of talented guards for next season at all.

It might be a signal that Grayson Allen is declaring or they are losing confidence in getting Duval for some reason.

#2,823      
Good point. Which is what I was getting at. Kinda like the transfer window when teams fall all over themselves to fill spots. Speaks more about the market than the talent available.

Again, not dissing Smith. He's very good. But this late recruiting window, like you mentioned, is certainly a big factor.

We should never have offered when we did...because we are not supposed to offer unless the player has offers from other P5s, correct? Kidding of course and subtle nudge to those on the board that believe we shouldn't offer unless other credible P5s have first offered.

Regardless of the "race to the party" on MS recruiting by likes of Ky, Dk, MSU, etc. , J. Walker deserves kudos since I believe he was the first P5 recruiter that realized MS potential.

#2,824      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Coincidence that since Antigua was hired things have shifted away from MSU a bit? And Illinois is 'back in it?'

Again, that could just be the process playing itself out but wouldn't shock me if Antigua already has had an impact.

Yep, he can talk to Smith about exactly what he's going to get from the likes of UK and Duke, and maybe MSU to an extent.
But just as you said in your previous post, imagine a kid suddenly having Izzo and Calipari in your living room!? :eek: Damn is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.