Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,827      

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
normally you would think this coaching change would put us behind for a guy like Smith, but with all of these late entries we are all basically on an even playing field. will be interesting to see how it plays out as it could be a small indicator of future recruiting success

#2,829      

illinifan87

The Windy City
We should never have offered when we did...because we are not supposed to offer unless the player has offers from other P5s, correct? Kidding of course and subtle nudge to those on the board that believe we shouldn't offer unless other credible P5s have first offered.

Regardless of the "race to the party" on MS recruiting by likes of Ky, Dk, MSU, etc. , J. Walker deserves kudos since I believe he was the first P5 recruiter that realized MS potential.

Walker definitely deserves kudos and I hope that resonates with Smith. That we were the first big program in on him and didn't come calling late.

#2,835      
Definitely admire the loyalty this kid has shown especially with a coaching change and others backing out. Wish we could get that kind of loyalty from more of our own in-state recruits. Kudos to Williams sticking with us as well. Can only wish for outstanding Illini careers for those two.

#2,837      
While I'd be surprised if that ever happened, it certainly won't until they are at least juniors.

Really, Who was so much better last year? We would have finished DEAD last if not for Hill, and he can't even sniff the NBA as the 3rd highest scoring player in history?

I would bet a high % of ANY other schools 3rd all time highest scorers made it to the Bigs? After that we had Morgan a fringe B1G player that developed, thank god, and Black who is a rebounding machine and getting better and a freshman with guts running the team....all else....not so much!

#2,840      

Rad

Nashville, TN
Pretty sure former players want us to be relevant/competitive/Top 10 again.

#2,841      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Something tells me OA makes this recruiting game one in which we finally are dressing for the Varsity squad. OA having the direct knowledge of UK and the Blue Blood's recruiting process benefits us now that he is talking with Smith on our behalf. I just have a good feeling about it. It's just a feeling.
It could just be the RedBull. :illinois:

This is the equivalent of hiring a top-fuel dragster driver, giving him the keys to a Ford Mustang, and expecting him to beat a top-fuel dragster because he's "done it before". He may be able to refute some of their recruiting pitch, but it's still a comparison between Illinois and Kentucky basketball.

#2,842      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
This is the equivalent of hiring a top-fuel dragster driver, giving him the keys to a Ford Mustang, and expecting him to beat a top-fuel dragster because he's "done it before". He may be able to refute some of their recruiting pitch, but it's still a comparison between Illinois and Kentucky basketball.

Haha! That's an interesting analogy, and I like it, but I don't think it applies here. I'm not insinuating that he tries to "compare" the schools, just that he can offer Smith some less biased (albeit certainly biased now) info on those programs.

But if I wanted to play out your analogy, I would simply say that OA can take that Mustang and turn it into a top-fuel dragster rather than try to sell the Mustang as-is! :thumb:

#2,844      

sacraig

The desert

Nah, it's really more the equivalent of driving in a rally race in a car that used to be in top shape but has been showing wear and tear of late. Then you hire the mechanic away from the top team to help you figure out how to get your car back in shape to compete at the top level again.

#2,846      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
On the flipside, there was a reason Hardy committed to BU and OK St a few months ago, evidently fitting the future of the program there.

Flip it once more and wonder if he ever would have made it on the roster since Boynton told him that BU recruited too many players.

#2,848      
Flip it once more and wonder if he ever would have made it on the roster since Boynton told him that BU recruited too many players.

Hardy would probably not made it to the roster at OK St, if that's the case, but was a desired BU commit and will probably land with a team in time.

#2,849      

Deleted member 8213

D
these stats just do not scream to me PG

MINFGM-FGAFG%3PM-3PA3P%FTM-FTAFT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS28.84.0-10.2.3881.3-3.8.3522.9-3.9.7562.03.50.01.12.62.912.2

In that format they sort of scream headache.:)

#2,850      

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
Really, Who was so much better last year? We would have finished DEAD last if not for Hill, and he can't even sniff the NBA as the 3rd highest scoring player in history?

I would bet a high % of ANY other schools 3rd all time highest scorers made it to the Bigs? After that we had Morgan a fringe B1G player that developed, thank god, and Black who is a rebounding machine and getting better and a freshman with guts running the team....all else....not so much!

Are you asserting that Chastain and Bruninga will end up better than everyone on last year's team except Hill?

Status
Not open for further replies.