Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,103      
I think everyone on the court will need to rebound. From, watching BU teams we wont have to see the ball goes up everyone run back to play D, we will see players crash the board. I also do not think we will see the stand around and wait for one guy to come take the ball out.

This will be like a breath of fresh air. Air conditioned State Farm Center fresh air.

#3,105      

Flyin Illini

Arlington Heights, IL
Who are the ex-Illini players who had the biggest gaps between Fan hype/expectations and actual results? Jereme Richmond is probably the headliner, but there must be others...

Bryant Notree. Too bad he didn't pan out, but through his recruitment Kevin Turner exceeded expectations with us.

#3,107      
Who are the ex-Illini players who had the biggest gaps between Fan hype/expectations and actual results? Jereme Richmond is probably the headliner, but there must be others...

Marcus Liberty, Shelly Clark, Bryant Notree.

#3,108      

UofI08

Chicago
Stan Simpson and Richard Semrau were also both guys who got a lot of hype and did absolutely nothing.

At least Richmond played a decent amount in his one year.

I don't know about that. Both were "over-ranked" early in their recruitments, but by the time they were on campus, they were both unranked 3-star players.

I'd say Brian Randle was probably over-hyped somewhat. He was a very good player, but his size and athleticism left people wanting more production.

#3,109      
Jeff Johnson‏ @therealJeffJ97 12h12 hours ago
Mr. Basketball's? 1 in the 'bag', 50 50 on the other while another 'doubt it' at this time
1f923.png

I don't have my twitter translator on me today. Can someone help me?

#3,110      
Not 100% on this, but presumably talking about Smith, Moore, and Dosunmu and leaving it up to the reader to decide which is which.

#3,114      
Both were "over-ranked" early in their recruitments, but by the time they were on campus, they were both unranked 3-star players.

An arc that Illini Internet Nation is world-renowned for its ability to ignore and deny, as it did in both of those cases.

But those two weren't as hyped as Legion, to be sure.

#3,120      
Bryant Notree. Too bad he didn't pan out, but through his recruitment Kevin Turner exceeded expectations with us.

I agree on Notree, but one of the biggest myths that has been proliferated over the years on message boards was that Notree and Turner were a package deal. I knew both, and while friendly, they were never that close.

While Notree was offered early and committed to Illinois with much expectation, Turner was only offered late in the Spring/Summer after Illinois pretty much struck out with a lot of higher ranked prospects. Turner was not part of a package deal, and Illinois only offered very late more out of courtesy to Simeon coaches (yet very late) after we had exhausted other options.

Kevin ended up a great player and he also had to overcome many things in his life.

#3,121      
I'd say Brian Randle was probably over-hyped somewhat. He was a very good player, but his size and athleticism left people wanting more production.

He was pretty limited by injuries, not sure he had a single off season where he wasn't spending as much time rehabilitating as he was developing his game.

#3,124      

icengineer

Southern Illinois
I see we are having our annual 'UI MBB player who didn't meet our lofty expectations' discussion.....;)

#3,125      
I would have a hard time saying Marcus, the guy did play all 5 spots for us as our 6th man in 89

Marcus was not a bad player, actually a fairly good player, but there was a big gap considering the hype and expectations. I think the question was more on that gap and no so much on whether a player was a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.