Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,552      

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
The Tilmon saga is over and I for one am happy about it. Believe what you want but we have gotten off of the rollercoaster and have moved on.

We did everything we could possibly do. Let him go to Mizzou and let's get ready for bragging rights

It's not about whether or not it is over, it's the fact that people literally think we would turn him down if he wanted to commit.

#3,553      
It seems an exercise in futility to try and discover some deep cover reason for Smith's every action or inaction.

Isn't the far more likely explanation that he finds things to like about several schools, and is honestly having a hard time choosing? That seems pretty reasonable to me.

#3,554      
One of the arguments against MSU is that they are loaded at PG and SG. Where is tOSU at those positions. I can see Smith's interest if there is immediate playing time.

#3,555      
The Tilmon saga is over and I for one am happy about it. Believe what you want but we have gotten off of the rollercoaster and have moved on.

We did everything we could possibly do. Let him go to Mizzou and let's get ready for bragging rights

I don't believe for a second that BU hasn't/won't try to re-recruit Tilmon. There's no real downside.

#3,557      
Oh, there will be no shortage of posters willing to dispute that!

I'd love to hear it. We've already invested so much into it, and it appears that there are no other real alternatives developing this late in the recruitment cycle. If that door was shut by BU and company when Tilmon asked out of his NLOI, then that was an astonishingly stupid decision. I know the chances cf Tilmon recommitting to us aren't great but we should still pursue that so long as it remains a possibility. Finke is our starting "center" going into next season for Pete's sake.

#3,558      
BU needs players next year if he hopes to make the tourney the current roster is not good enough. It makes sense to talk to and kick the tires on any potential recruits or transfers who may be interested in Illinois. The number one goal now is to improve the roster for the upcoming season

#3,560      
He told staff he didn't wanna visit OSU. He gave a silent verbal to Underwood. His OSU visit was cancelled. His OSU visit is back on. MSU wants another in home visit next week.

I have all the rumors covered?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Just for Mark Smith. We also won't take Tilmon if he wants back in. :tsk:

#3,561      

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
If you really actually believe that BU and staff are "mad" at Tilmon and not interested in him after decomitting and looking at his options, you are laughably incorrect and completely nuts.

Bingo. This is a business. You take the best you can if they want back in.

#3,564      

Future Walk-On

Peoria, IL
My prediction:

Smith: "After an extensive recruiting process, I am exicted to announced that I am staying home. I want to thank all the schools, fans, and coaches that had interest in me and met with me, but deep down my connection to my home state and state school is something I can't overlook. etc etc etc"

Tilmon: "Since exploring my options after the departure of coach Groce, I have reconfirmed that Illinois is still the best fit for me. etc... etc..."

#3,565      
I mean, I know you personally want to strive for some Moneyball-esque version of recruiting where resource inefficiencies are identified and ruthlessly destroyed, but it's just not a waste of time to get a talented kid on campus this late in the game. Kids are fickle. Stuff happens.

#fluid

"Waste of time" was a poor choice of words. I don't mean for the tOSU staff necessarily. A waste of message board hoopla is what I should have said.

#3,568      
I'll be sure to share your stats & comments with The Smiths & Mark that you think He is not a good shooter(.) Here are your periods (.)

Smh....

Hello Hoopin:

I have seen some of you digust with various comments. Please don't be alarmed by the 1%.... Illini Nation as a whole and those infomed are all in on Mark Smith. I'm from Illinois and live in Lexington.... I can tell you that if the family wants a home for mark that will honor his career for the rest of his life in a State that will look out for him forever, there is only one choice here. What you could tell the family is that Mark is revered here, respected as a player, and also the guy that the History of Illinois basketball wants to to be responsible for it's rejuvenation. I will aslo say that in the Big time coaching circles (UK Staff included) the country is very antsy about what Brad Underwood brings to Illinois. His pace of play has been top 5 in the country and points per game is near the top.. People have yet to solve his guard friendly , multiple ways to win games ... Underwood is a name nobody in the coaching wolrd wanted in that seat because he is a real threat to that conference and basketball on the national scene. Let the family know that. Alos let them know that Illinois has tried to build a relationship withthis young man that is real .. Very real ... And it's a relationship wiht a state he will have forever. Not a phone call once a week from a blue blood school that just wants to keep confusing the family. Tell them to have him stay home and it will be the best decision he ever made. His parents will be embraced sgnificantly by Illini Nations as well.

Last edited:
#3,569      
Hello Hoopin:

I have seen some of you digust with various comments. Please don't be alarmed by the 1%.... Illini Nation as a whole and those infomed are all in on Mark Smith. I'm from Illinois and live in Lexington.... I can tell you that if the family wants a home for mark that will honor his career for the rest of his life in a State that will look out for him forever, there is only one choice here. What you could tell the family is that Mark is revered here, respected as a player, and also the guy that the History of Illinois basketball wants to to be responsible for it's rejuvenation. I will aslo say that in the Big time coaching circles (UK Staff included) the country is very antsy about what Brad Underwood brings to Illinois. His pace of play has been top 5 in the country and points per game is near the top.. People have yet to solve his guard friendly , multiple ways to win games ... Underwood is a name nobody in the coaching wolrd wanted in that seat because he is a real threat to that conference and basketball on the national scene. Let the family know that. Alos let them know that Illinois has tried to build a relationship withthis young man that is real .. Very real ... And it's a relationship wiht a state he will have forever. Not a phone call once a week from a blue blood school that just wants to keep confusing the family. Tell them to have him stay home and it will be the best decision he ever made. His parents will be embraced sgnificantly by Illini Nations as well.

I think everyone here has said nothing but respectful things about the Smiths and the way they have handled this process.

I don't feel that questioning his shooting ability is in any way insulting. Can he shoot and make shots in high school yeah he can.

Aaron Jordan came in as a sharp shooter and look how his shot has looked the first couple years here.

Its fair to question how a skill is going to translate and I'm not sure what telling the Smiths what a poster on an Illini fan site said would have any barring on anything they do?

#3,570      
I'll be sure to share your stats & comments with The Smiths & Mark that you think He is not a good shooter(.) Here are your periods (.)

Smh....

Read again, said TJL not a lousy shooter. Guess you are convinced of that so comparing them makes Smith bad.

#3,571      

HC Illini

HC Illini
Tilmon is not coming to Illinois, stop thinking that. It's over for us, move on.

#3,572      

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL
If nothing else, I want to have Mark Smith and Francesco Badocchi both in the O & B just for the name contrast.

#3,573      

LJ22

Chicago, IL
Here's my time to shine as an insider! Was at Watson's for dinner tonight and was seated at a table right next to BU and Chin Coleman! They were hanging out with what looked like BU's kids and someone else. Anyway BU kept getting up from the table to take phone calls and when we were leaving was out front tucked into a corner in a pretty intense seeming phone call....Wonder what it was about?

I'm headed down to CU today and have time for more than my normal Legends and Papa Del's stops. Is Watson's the place I want to spend one of my Champaign meals? Also never done Black Dog...

Oh - keeping it recruiting related - hope BU was on the phone telling Mark Smith his fax number for the NLI.

#3,575      

Future Walk-On

Peoria, IL
Ok guys. The last thing we need is poor board chemistry. Let's stick together and ride out the storm before we sink our own ship fighting over grammar and shooting percentages. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.