Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,626      
Yeah, that's not really how it works. If there was a message board out there that had thousands of fans doing nothing but talking about you (or your kids) are you honestly saying you wouldn't read it? It's just human nature for people to be curious what others are saying about them. That said, I think most know that EVERY single fanbase has 1% crazy and doesn't take it too much to heart. For every crazy post here there is a crazy post on an MSU or UK board. So likely that no recruitment really gets swayed by anonymous posters
That being said , who's to say some posts are made to get negative feedback, when these posts could come from any source, :illinois: or not. Our forum is free, unlike others that charge after 7 days.:eek:

#3,627      
I don't follow college baseball at all except as a fair weather fan when the Illini are really good. So I honestly have no idea the answer to this question: is Missouri baseball that much better than Illinois? With the often made suggestions that he grew up a lifelong Illini fan and it's always been his dream to play here, any idea why he committed to Missouri for baseball instead of here?

The allure of playing baseball in the SEC. I don't blame him. Facilities, attendance, warmer weather....any high school baseball player would make the same decision of playing at an SEC school vs. pretty much anywhere else.

#3,628      
The allure of playing baseball in the SEC. I don't blame him. Facilities, attendance, warmer weather....any high school baseball player would make the same decision of playing at an SEC school vs. pretty much anywhere else.

Thanks. I didn't realize that. But any SEC school? Including Missouri which is t really warmer weather and has no tradition of being an SEC school? In other words, my original question- is Mizzou that much better than Illinois? Or is it not but the conference is? Maybe the answer is yes. I am asking seriously.

#3,630      

sacraig

The desert
Hope BU learns from the drama of CM and MS - how many difficulties and risks are associated with recruiting "wanted men" for UofI. Don't follow JG's mistakes again. Focusing on putting realistic bodies on positions of needs first and coach them up. Trying shooting for the moon just occasionally and never depending on that.

It's lucky that we already have some young materials to work on for guard positions so missing MS and CM won't be the end of world. Now we need to fill the holes of the bigs ASAP

Huh? You don't think BU knew anything prior about recruiting drama?

#3,631      

sacraig

The desert
He certainly wants to give it a try to see if he's a better salesman than Groce.

For one, I don't think that we can draw conclusions based on one recruiting season where he started in the 11th hour.

For two, I think that the staff we have now collectively has a lot more to sell based on major conference experience and results than what Groce had.

For three, I really don't want to be competing with mid-majors for all of our recruits. We should be making (intelligent) runs at the big boys.

#3,632      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
The forest: Illinois hired Brad Underwood and an amazing support staff.

If they have enough time to attract some players this year, great. If not, no sleep lost. We're way out ahead.

#3,633      
Thanks. I didn't realize that. But any SEC school? Including Missouri which is t really warmer weather and has no tradition of being an SEC school? In other words, my original question- is Mizzou that much better than Illinois? Or is it not but the conference is? Maybe the answer is yes. I am asking seriously.

I'd say the mindset of most high school baseball players is they'd rather go to a bottom feeder SEC school than a top level Big 10 school. While the arms race of facilities has caught up, there is nothing more depressing than a nice big stadium, and less than 1000 fans in it. And although the weather between Columbia and Champaign may not be much different, conference road trips to LSU to play in front of 10,000 are a lot more alluring than a conference road trip to Evanston or pretty much anywhere else in front of 1000 (and most likely less).

I don't know why I can't find stats for 2016, but in 2015, there were 7 SEC schools who averaged over 3000 in home attendance, including 5 with over 6500. Only Nebraska was in the top 25 in attendance in the Big 10, with 3904 per game...not other Big 10 team was in the top 25 and the 25th ranked attendance figure was 2670 per game.

Kids choose where they go to school for a myriad of reasons..athletics, academics, social, ability to develop in all those areas, where their friends are going, to be close to their girlfriend, to be far away from her....while for an individual baseball player, they may choose a big 10 school over a SEC school for any of those reasons, but I think the overall outlook is SEC far and above the Big 10, and any other conference outside of the Pac 12 (and there are only 2 Pac-12 school in the attendance top 25.

Last edited:
#3,636      

Yes, it is. It was before they joined the SEC, and it definitely is now that they are in the SEC.

#3,637      
Think about it: If you grow up a college basketball fan, and have a son who's suddenly being recruited by everyone, don't YOU want to do official visits? To OSU? To MSU? To Kentucky or Duke?

I would. That would be a dream come true - and not just for my boy. Even if we both were already leaning to a school.

It's even fun for academic achievers. My son is no athlete, but scored near-perfect on the SAT. We settled on UC-Berkeley, but it was very fun visiting campuses and having people make their pitches. I'm proud of him, and it was fun to do together.

We fans get our identities wrapped up in our team loyalties, so we take it personally when someone considers other options. That's part of fandom, for good or ill.

But come on, a little perspective: I think most dads would LOVE this. And why not? Have fun, Smiths. Hope you join the UI hoops family, but even if not, enjoy it all. Life goes fast.

#3,640      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
And it is possible that it could be an indicator that Underwood and staff may struggle with recruiting.

If you'd like to make judgments about the ability of this staff to recruit "big targets" after 2 weeks on the job, be my guest.

#3,641      
Although I agree with the sentiment that Illinois is certainly in a better place with Underwood, the idea that everything is ok even though we are missing on big targets, is a bit incorrect IMO. Does missing on talent now mean Underwood won't succeed? No, but it does make it that much harder for us to have future success. It means that success may take longer. And it is possible that it could be an indicator that Underwood and staff may struggle with recruiting.
I guess since it is so early in the process with Underwood, what big targets are we missing on? Last time I checked Smith, Tilmon, the Italian kid and Bragg are still out there.

#3,642      
Tilmon won't be coming to Illinois. Getting Smith and Bragg are long shots in my opinion. We have a good chance of getting Baddochi, but Virginia is a big name to compete against. It isn't completely unlikely that we strike out on all of these names.
And Debbie Downer strikes again. You might be right, but there is really no way to know any of that. Hard to figure with a new coach and no real track record to compare it with. I doubt we strike out on all of them, but who knows.

#3,643      
We have a new coach, but our reputation as a university is still the same as it was prior to Underwood taking over. Our reputation in the recruiting world is blah (little to no success in the last 10 years). All recent recruiting results have unfortunately been debbie downer worthy. I've yet to see any reason why I should change my realist perspective of our program for a more optimistic one.
Let's just hope that Underwood does some things, sooner rather than later, to move you to a "better place."

#3,644      
I've yet to see any reason why I should change my realist perspective of our program for a more optimistic one.

Because by sheer force of shouting into the void, I'm going to talk Underwood into the correct philosophy for the program. And if I do, he's more than a good enough coach to make the last 12 years a strange, distant memory.

He's hopefully both a good enough coach to do it anyway, and a smart enough one to tweak things without listening to my nonsense. Hopefully.

#3,645      
If I were Mark Smith's dad I would be doing the exact same thing.

This has been a whirlwind. The hour is getting late. My kid wasn't even a basketball recruit until a few months ago, and now there is a feeding frenzy for him. In Duke and UK two of the absolute best basketball schools in the country, who have decorated histories of developing professional talent and Hall of Fame coaches who are at the top of their profession are reaching out with interest? And my kid and my wife are focused on a couple of other schools just because they were in the picture first?

No way son. You're going to Lexington and Durham. It's your decision, but it's going to be an informed decision. You're not just going to ignore Cal and Coach K because you grew up rooting for Illinois. This is an adult decision for your adult future.

Stay woke. It's all a conspiracy dreamed up by Coach BU and the Smith's. You see, there is no better way to get more pub for this signing than to make sure it looks like the O&B beat out U.K., Duke, MSU and OSU.

Smith gets more pub, Coach BU is a hero and Mom and Dad will forever go down in Illini lore.

Insert sarcasm font above when reading.

Edit: Need to add that I do think he ends up at UI, though.

#3,649      
Not having the 14th-best coach in the conference would be one reason.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.