Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't look good, but why is it fait accompli that Tilmon still won't choose Illinois?

We also said it's fair for a recruit to re-open his commitment when there's a coaching change. Throw BU, Walker, Antigua and the farm at Tilmon for one last push and show him love.

If he doesn't come here, then on to the next one.

This doesn't look good, but why is it fait accompli that Tilmon still won't choose Illinois?

We also said it's fair for a recruit to re-open his commitment when there's a coaching change. Throw BU, Walker, Antigua and the farm at Tilmon for one last push and show him love.

If he doesn't come here, then on to the next one.

It isn't him, its the other people in his camp making decisions.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Would replacing Tilmon with Kiir be a fair trade considering Kiir is a better fit with Underwoods style of play?

HOOPDOG

Rock Island
Would replacing Tilmon with Kiir be a fair trade considering Kiir is a better fit with Underwoods style of play?

I don't believe so. We still need a 5. It certainly wouldn't hurt but it is not an even trade for sure

Hughes is transferring but the rest is the goal at this point. Blake Harris would be another name.

Good to know. I thought Hughes looked decent last year. Nice size and scoring instincts.

I would say definitely. Still love this class if we get Smith and lost Tilmon, but we will be very thin upfront so Kiir would help tremendously.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal

Because it's not like this is the day after Groce was fired. He knows who the coach is. He met with him. He was already signed. This is, in effect, him not choosing Illinois.

ATL Chief

Jacksonville
Don't need a good coach to coach talent

Rolling the ball out on the court is a great way to look spectacular in a loss. I'm looking forward to espn showing 90% mizzou highlights in their border war loss next year.

Because it's not like this is the day after Groce was fired. He knows who the coach is. He met with him. He was already signed. This is, in effect, him not choosing Illinois.
This.

Tilmon reopening his recruitment this late in the game -- after Walker was retained!! -- means that we can treat this as news that he's never going to play for the University of Illinois. I don't care about the soft wording on his announcement. He's gone, and I don't even care.

And Akron territory when it comes to coaching chops.

Irrelevant with respect to Illinois basketball. Bottom line is that an Illini recruit is most likely heading elsewhere. Bummer... and we will not block his release, contrary to many posts.

I hope Antigua does indeed come on board and we start playing ball, and I don't mean the start of the season.

NEIlliniFan

No longer in New England
It seems many posters are trying to justify losing Tilmon but he fills a huge need and if he ends up not coming to Illinois makes finding big men a huge priority. Having Tilmon next season along with the new coach would have making the tournament much easier.

I don't see it as justifying at all. Groce's termination opened the door for each of the committed class to ask out of their NLOI. That's a risk you take when you fire your head coach.

Of course the ideal is your new coach keeps that class. But since that didn't happen here, then it's whether you would have prefered to: a) keep Groce/Tilmon or b) roll the dice on Underwood.

Several posters are saying they'd rather go with option B, particularly if he can snag Orlando Antigua as an assistant.

If one is all we end up losing. I hope that's not the sound of Domino's falling. However, the news just came out, so I think I will wait and actually see what happens with this before really getting disappointed.

Look- all the people who wanted a new coach knew that it came with the risk of losing, at least potentially, all the recruits. So buckle up- we will see who makes it to campus and start over with a new recruiting game. And starting that game with Underwood and Antigua is huge.

This.

Tilmon reopening his recruitment this late in the game -- after Walker was retained!! -- means that we can treat this as news that he's never going to play for the University of Illinois. I don't care about the soft wording on his announcement. He's gone, and I don't even care.

Probably, yes, but the IG post says Illinois is still at play.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL

Or he wants a chance to legally talk to other coaches and see campuses. I certainly believe there's still a chance he picks Illinois again in the end. I think it's either Illinois or Missouri.

Maybe, especially if Kiir is a four year player. If Kiir turns into Adel from Louisville, I'd take that in a heartbeat. I want Jeremiah just as much as anybody, my hurt dropped when I got on the front page today but man, the amount of drama from this one kid...just give me Kiir at this point. Seems like a kid who will just put his head down and work hard.

i'm actually looking forward to the Mizzou-Illinois games now. Before, I just didn't bother because Mizzou was pathetic, but now, looks like the rivalry is back on. I am starting to not like that school

Option 1: Keep Groce and Tilmon stays.

Option 2: Lose Tilmon but replace Groce with Underwood, while keeping Walker and adding Antigua to the staff, and keeping all the remaining commits.

I think you take option 2 every time and never look back.

I'm not so sure Tilmon would have stayed if Groce was retained. He was a little flakey and unsure before he signed.

With Mizzou's roster filling out with a couple of burger boys (who are in his ear every day), an exESL player/new coach popping into his school 48 hrs earlier whispering advice, and a Stl. media frenzy encouraging it - I'm not so sure a weakened John Groce could have defended this. Could you imagine if this was happening now with Groce still here? Feels like Bruce Weber all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.