Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#4,602      

sacraig

The desert
Un9LLTm.png

#4,609      
Says the dude who came up with the Power Five Sports Misery index to prove that, you know, we are a fanbase who has uniquely suffered?

Yeah, but specifically in wins and losses, not in recruiting. I feel like in some ways the recruiting focus around here obscures how bad we've actually been. The relative amount of success we've had recruiting for both sports (top half of the P5 in basketball and well above the bottom in football) during that period would make our performance look even worse.

(Hmm. I wonder if there's a methodology I could use to look at that.... Food for thought)

This is demonstrably untrue. How many of us thought that a guy like JoeBert needed to just put a few things together and he'd be beastly? I and many others were posting during the 2013-2014 season and following offseason about how we liked the flashes we saw from Tate, his great court vision, and how he just needed to develop an outside shot. Many of us expected big sophomore leaps for players like Austin Colbert, Aaron Jordan, and DJ Williams during Groce's tenure. Tons of us expected huge things from JCL this last year after a freshman campaign where he set an Illinois record for 3s by a freshman.

The JCL one I'll give you, the others I don't remember at all. Especially Tate. And the other thing is, hype for players who have been on the roster but haven't played is basically the same thing as hype for recruits. It's the idea that the mystery box holds the key to everything, when the real key to everything on most occasions is leaps like the one Malcolm made from his sophomore to junior year, or the one Chester Frazier (perhaps the most maligned player in Illinois boards history) made from his junior to his senior year.

#4,611      
Yeah, but specifically in wins and losses, not in recruiting. I feel like in some ways the recruiting focus around here obscures how bad we've actually been. The relative amount of success we've had recruiting for both sports (top half of the P5 in basketball and well above the bottom in football) during that period would make our performance look even worse.

(Hmm. I wonder if there's a methodology I could use to look at that.... Food for thought)

The JCL one I'll give you, the others I don't remember at all. Especially Tate. And the other thing is, hype for players who have been on the roster but haven't played is basically the same thing as hype for recruits. It's the idea that the mystery box holds the key to everything, when the real key to everything on most occasions is leaps like the one Malcolm made from his sophomore to junior year, or the one Chester Frazier (perhaps the most maligned player in Illinois boards history) made from his junior to his senior year.
I don't know what the issue was with Groce not playing DJW more, but he is going to get an opportunity to show to Coach BU what he can do. He looked fairly good in the few minutes of PT he got last year, but I don't recall him ever getting a goo straight 10 minutes of clock to develop some flow.....so yes the bench guys who are going to have an opportunity to impress the new staff are a bit of mystery. I agree with that. I am cautiously optimistic.

I will be honest in that I think JCL has a ton to prove because frankly his results to date have been well below expectations. He is supposed to be such a pure shooter but he missed a lot of wide open shots last year. He has to be more of a slasher and not just a shooter or he is easy to guard. I think it was you as well who pointed out that he doesn't have great handles so we shall see if gets any better with that in the offseason as well as defense. We need him to make the jump this year and be a leader through his play.

Sorry I know we are kind off recruiting but your comments made me think a bit, so I will just stop now so we can the post back on recruiting.

#4,612      
I saw a post under the dunk gif that asks why illini wants 8 guards. This is actually a good point.

In the 4 out motion that BU runs if you label the 4 as guards, we will actually have/want more than 8.
Although for defensive purposes you'd still think of Kipper or DJW or whomever is guarding the other teams PF/F as forwards.:illinois:

#4,621      

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
Lucas, Frazier, JCL, Jordan, Da'Monte, Smith. Who am I missing?
Assuming Smith commits.......

I believe it's those six -- plus all the (younger) guards to whom we're making offers. Starting in 2018-19, we could have 8 guards since all six of these current players could theoretically return.

Status
Not open for further replies.