Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I felt like our energy level — our connectedness — was good in parts, but it needs to be more consistent." - John Groce

How about the one after the West Virginia game, when, in response to Altenberger's softball about how tough it is to prepare for a defense like that, he said something along the lines of, "oh no, we had been preparing for that all summer!"

illinifan87

The Windy City
I didn't follow High School Basketball much this year. I knew about Ayo, Verge, etc, but that was it.

I work at CSN and we covered the State Semis/Finals for our HS Lites Show.

One player who really stood out in both games? Horton-Tucker. Kid was everywhere.

I hadn't seen him at all prior to those 2 games but he was hella impressive. Sounds like he's blowing up in AAU now.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

"I felt like our energy level — our connectedness — was good in parts, but it needs to be more consistent." - John Groce

I confess that I never understood what "players play players" is supposed to mean. That he was a player? That may have been when I first began to have worries about him.

I confess that I never understood what "players play players" is supposed to mean. That he was a player? That may have been when I first began to have worries about him.

The players who deserve to play will separate themselves from those who don't through practice and in-game performance.

I like how many of you hate Groce's press conferences...but in his first couple years when things were good everyone salivated over his press conferences. Funny how things are perceived when losing versus winning.

It seems that now some are not so fond of Tim Finke. What has happened? I don't get to see players live.

I haven't seen him live either. But it seems to me he was ranked on potential and exposure. A couple years ago he was playing on a nationally known AAU team and had good size/athleticism plus solid skills. Now other players have caught up to him.

And lets making things clear, Tim Finke is still a good basketball player. But rumors early on were that he was going to be elite (top 25 five star).

I looked at some Horton-Tucker youtube, his game and the way he plays reminds me of Mark Aguirre, I say offer him.

A lot of the whole Finke family "left" this program when John Groce left. An extremely close bond.

Jkat00

Champaign, IL
A lot of the whole Finke family "left" this program when John Groce left. An extremely close bond.

Not exactly. Tim was never going to Illinois if Groce was still coach. His father Jeff was very unhappy with how Michael was used his freshman season. They weren't big fans.

rmlsr

El Paso,IL
Not exactly. Tim was never going to Illinois if Groce was still coach. His father Jeff was very unhappy with how Michael was used his freshman season. They weren't big fans.

That's what I heard as well.

It seems that now some are not so fond of Tim Finke. What has happened? I don't get to see players live.

I think his game will translate nicely to the P5 level, provided he doesn't end up being relied upon as a team's star/first offensive option. If he can be a 3-and-D wing who chips in on the glass and with hustle plays, he'll be a terrific cog for a good team. Might be a starter in the Big Ten or might settle into a 6th/7th man role.

I think people are a little down on him because he started his HS career looking like a top-50, potential McDAA talent. By last summer it was clear that he just doesn't have that mojo. He's got NBA size on the wing and is a plus athlete in terms of speed/vertical. He also plays hard and has a picture perfect jump shot. However, he's a little mechanical, struggles to create off the bounce, and his jumper doesn't go in as much as you'd expect by looking at it. Fringe top-100 kid. Still a nice player and I'd be over the moon if he committed here. A good team needs players like Tim Finke.

Deleted member 10676

D
[FONT=&quot]UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eric Bossi‏Verified account @ebosshoops 17m17 minutes ago [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you are into guys that are about winning and leadership, 2018 wing Talen Horton-Tucker is your guy. Tough, skilled all around player.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scott Burgess‏ @scottybscout 5h5 hours ago [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Normal West 2019 C Francis Okoro is about as elite of a rebounder you are going to find national. Snatches them w strong hands[/FONT]

Deleted member 10676

D
Marquise Walker will be playing this season on the Team Rose 17u team (Adidas Gauntlet circuit) along with Raekwon Drake and Danville's Kendle Moore. They finished 4-0 this weekend at the Chicago Hoops Tip-Off.
https://twitter.com/Teamrose123

Deleted member 10676

D
Mac Irvin Fire‏ @TheMacIrvinFire 4h4 hours ago
Good weekend for #MacIrvinFire 17u..

This is all the Fire tweeted about the Fire-Brad Beal game so I suspect the Fire lost. Still, they finished in the top 4 out of 64 teams playing without Ayo all weekend. Think they'll do much better than they did last year.
Ayo and Talen should be a formidable duo. They also have Kezo Brown and Bakari Simmons from Simeon, Xavier Pinson, and Demarius Jacobs -- haven't seen the rest of the roster.

Meanstreets players I know of are Finke, Camron Donatlan (West Aurora), Xavier Castenada (Young) and Messiah Jones (Simeon).

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
As I haven't seen THT play, who would you say is a valid past comparison? Just going by size and comments, poor man's Nick Anderson, Alfredrick Hughes?

As I haven't seen THT play, who would you say is a valid past comparison? Just going by size and comments, poor man's Nick Anderson, Alfredrick Hughes?

That's a tough comparison. Hughes scored over 2,900 points at Loyola.

afpharmdawg

Colorado Springs
I haven't seen him live either. But it seems to me he was ranked on potential and exposure. A couple years ago he was playing on a nationally known AAU team and had good size/athleticism plus solid skills. Now other players have caught up to him.

And lets making things clear, Tim Finke is still a good basketball player. But rumors early on were that he was going to be elite (top 25 five star).

Thank you

I looked at some Horton-Tucker youtube, his game and the way he plays reminds me of Mark Aguirre, I say offer him.

His caboose is that big?? Seriously, I'm waiting for a reincarnation of the back 'em into the photographers post up games of guy's like Aguirre, Barkley, and maybe the best I've ever seen at it, Dantley (who did it as much with skill as arse). Horton sounds like a good folllw-up to Smith.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.