Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,126      
I think Tilmon should just go to Missouri if he wants. Playing against a really good big in practice might make him better. I wonder if the dad is gonna suddenly get a nice new job with a pay raise lol. Illini will be alright without him. The long term matters more than any one recruit. I think we should as a fan base move on to other transfer and recruits of interest. The team seems to have done that well.

The best thing for long-term success in college b-ball is short-term success. BU might be forgiven one bad season. Two bad seasons to start his tenure likely not. Our need for PF/Cs right now is acute to put it mildly.

#2,130      

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
No question. And ideally you can recognize that, get out of those situations and redirect your energies and resources elsewhere. Another thing Groce constantly failed to do, and something for which Underwood (and Whitman) are off to a worrying start.

Off to a worrying start? What are you smoking? I havnt seen the staff bowing to the all mighty Chicago king. He's been out checking other kids around the country.

#2,132      
Off to a worrying start? What are you smoking? I havnt seen the staff bowing to the all mighty Chicago king. He's been out checking other kids around the country.

Exactly. It's called prioritization. I have a roster that needs some players, so maybe I should spend my time doing that. Duh!

#2,133      
I agree with your basic points. Also believe some recruitment battles are best avoided if there are extra risks and complexities...in hindsight I think Cliff Alexander recruitment was one of those that should have been avoided. Not sure if Tilmon is in that category, only time will tell.

I trust our current recruiting staff will get hard nosed kids that love Illini and will work their tails off to reach their goals. I think BU will be able to get maximum out of our players and ultimately show local recruits over time that if they come to Illinois, listen and work they will be in a great position to win and reach their personal goals.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

#2,135      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
I'm so sick of hearing this.

"If only they'd been allowed to make their own decision" is insulting, paternalistic self-serving garbage coming from message board posters and it's the whining and excuse-making of losers coming from basketball coaches.

LOL S&C... don't hold back... tell us how you really feel!

Coaches have to do the best they can with what they feel they can do, regarding the rules. If they read the situation wrong and key on the wrong influencer then all their work could be for naught.

Like I've said before, I don't think Underwood and his system is/are for players and recruits that aren't strong willed or mentally tough. It will be interesting to see what type of players he brings in.

#2,136      

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
I think Tilmon should just go to Missouri if he wants. Playing against a really good big in practice might make him better.

If he wanted to do that he would have stayed at LaLu last season. Clearly JT is highly influenced by the people around him. Not all of which seem to have his best interest in mind. I don't honestly think anyone can argue Tilmon would not be a better basketball player today had he stayed at LaLu instead of going back to ESL. That is the most concerning part of all this is that it is pretty obvious that the right people are not making the calls here for whatever reason. Sounds very similar to a big from not long ago that flamed out with Kansas and has never reached the expected potential he had.

#2,138      
If he wanted to do that he would have stayed at LaLu last season. Clearly JT is highly influenced by the people around him. Not all of which seem to have his best interest in mind. I don't honestly think anyone can argue Tilmon would not be a better basketball player today had he stayed at LaLu instead of going back to ESL. That is the most concerning part of all this is that it is pretty obvious that the right people are not making the calls here for whatever reason. Sounds very similar to a big from not long ago that flamed out with Kansas and has never reached the expected potential he had.

Arguments could be made either way. I saw Tilmon before he went to LaLu and he had more potential. It is not that he flourished at LaLu either. Kansas definitely offers better competition in everyday practices, yet some have failed to reach their potential as they have at Illinois as well. Eventually, much has to do with the internal motivation and drive of players.

#2,141      
Ilbb life , right now, starts and ends with TF and DW.

Rest, from the old pack, all the best. Not worth wasting bandwidth IMHO.

#2,142      
I've seen this sentiment more than a few times from posters that there was a chance Tilmon doesn't end up at Illinois had Groce not been fired. There is no chance, he 100% would've been at Illinois had Groce not been fired. He signed an NLI and would've been held to that had Groce not been fired.

#2,143      

davesworld

Athens
I'm so sick of hearing this.

Teenagers are guided by adults in making major life decisions because adults have the wisdom of experience and kids don't.

But leave that to one side.

A basketball staff gets zero credit, ZERO, for winning the heart of the recruit in a situation where the heart of the recruit isn't going to be the factor that puts him on campus. Never mind the fact that these claims are probably utter BS 99% of the time, it is explicitly the job of recruiters to understand the landscape around which the ACTUAL decision is being made.

"If only they'd been allowed to make their own decision" is insulting, paternalistic self-serving garbage coming from message board posters and it's the whining and excuse-making of losers coming from basketball coaches.
Frank Martin agrees

a67550bdc1d49b24f64d16bee8e0d45b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#2,149      
What was he before this? Wasn't he in the 130s? I'm curious to know. I still think 91 may be underrated, but I don't remember him being in the top 100.

I think you are right, I think he was right outside the top 100.

I always mix up the ratings from the different sites. I was remembering scout where he is 77. Still though, he's going to be a heck of a player!

Status
Not open for further replies.