Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outstanding news regarding Tilmon! So happy he's coming to Champaign:thumb:

sacraig

The desert
Not so fast, the crystal ball still has 67% to Missouri

All the more reason to think that Jerry Meyer switches picks in order to generate traffic from rabid fanbases rather than in an effort to "get it right".

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

It's a sure thing that if Evans had come to Illinois, Irvin would not have said that.

Totally. BU just got hired 2 weeks ago, already has visited and secured all 4 incoming recruits, has us solidly in the mix on Smith, and is attending the Final Four to work on filling out his staff--all while planning to move his entire family across several states on zero notice.

Yet Irvin & slaughter are still whining he hasn't taken the time to bend the knee and kiss their rings. I think Irvin is just irked that so many good players are coming outta downstate this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the more reason to think that Jerry Meyer switches picks in order to generate traffic from rabid fanbases rather than in an effort to "get it right".

I asked him about this via twitter. He admitted he thought Walker was leaving us and thus the switch to Missouri. he also admitted he was wrong

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles

Jerry Meyer is full of it. Does anyone actually have a photo of that dude? I've tried searching high and low for something just to see how ridiculous this guy must appear and can't find anything.

Deleted member 10676

D
Totally. BU just got hired 2 weeks ago, already has visited and secured all 4 incoming recruits, has us solidly in the mix on Smith, and is attending the Final Four to work on filling out his staff--all while planning to move his entire family across several states on zero notice.

Yet Irvin & slaughter are still whining he hasn't taken the time to bend the knee and kiss their rings. I think Irvin is just irked that so many good players are coming outta downstate this year.

I think Irvin is just evil. EVIL! If he had his druthers he'd nuke Illinois. And jealous? Man, is the dude jealous of our success. Only had 3 state ships the last 4 years. What happened that 4th year? Was it because he was so evil? I mean all those kids just dying to come to Illinois but Nick Irvin and Nick Irvin alone demanded they go elsewhere. Evil, evil man.
Jeebus, this board. Although I see the same BS on Indiana, Michigan State, Northwestern and just about every other midwest school board I check out.

sacraig

The desert
I asked him about this via twitter. He admitted he thought Walker was leaving us and thus the switch to Missouri. he also admitted he was wrong

I saw that. But that's really easy to claim that after the fact. Why not switch his pick back after word got out that Walker was staying with Illinois? This is all also despite the fact that Tilmon has signed a NLOI to Illinois, so unless that changed, then there really wasn't any reason to speculate where else he would end up.

So, I remain firmly convinced he was just drumming up interest.

I think Irvin is just evil. EVIL! If he had his druthers he'd nuke Illinois. And jealous? Man, is the dude jealous of our success. Only had 3 state ships the last 4 years. What happened that 4th year? Was it because he was so evil? I mean all those kids just dying to come to Illinois but Nick Irvin and Nick Irvin alone demanded they go elsewhere. Evil, evil man.
Jeebus, this board. Although I see the same BS on Indiana, Michigan State, Northwestern and just about every other midwest school board I check out.

So by EVIL, you would mean....:thumb:

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Lighten up. I never claimed anyone is evil. I actually don't mind Irvin and he obviously would like to see his state school succeed.

Just pointing out that he & Slaughter were sounding whiny in that article over the fact that Underwood hasn't met with them yet, while Mullins seemed to get it.

I'm glad BU prioritized securing our incoming class and staff first. It's only been two weeks...

Last edited:
You must have missed this article on the front page of IL Loyalty yesterday :

Chicago AAU coaches weigh in on Underwood
https://illinois.rivals.com/news/chicago-aau-coaches-weigh-in-on-underwood

Was a bit of a bummer to hear Nick Irvin say Lamont Evans "is like a brother to me" but hopefully BU will get someone with similar Chicago nexus for the staff.

I thought the election was already over...sounds to me like the Chicago Brethren are doing quite a bit of lobbying.

Just out of curiosity, how many of the Irvin and others players left those schools, stayed in college more than a year, and helped a team win a National C-Ship?

By the sounds of "he will need to gauge the pulse of Chicago", and "he should hire a guy that knows the landscape", or similar comments suggesting that such SHOULD take place, you would think EVERY Simeon/Curie or other player would be 5 Stars and their coaches should be treated as such...

I hope BU does get a Chicago type to assist in recruiting a fertile player base, just not for those reasons...also hope he can get some international players like Gonzaga does great at!

Yeah I don't think BU is going to put up with all the Chicago drama. Man some of those coaches think they are a gift to the basketball world and Illinois should just bow down to them.

Deleted member 8213

D
Went to look at tigerboard for a small dose of schadenfreude on Tilmon... guy there says bad news for them on Smith, that he will follow Jeremiah to CU. Take that for what its worth ... (nothing). Either way I think Tilmon is the much more important recruit for us because of the position he plays. I am not convinced Smith will be a better college player than Damonte. That's not meant as a criticism. Doesn't seem like any way he ends up at Mizzou anyhow.

Went to look at tigerboard for a small dose of schadenfreude on Tilmon... guy there says bad news for them on Smith, that he will follow Jeremiah to CU. Take that for what its worth ... (nothing). Either way I think Tilmon is the much more important recruit for us because of the position he plays. I am not convinced Smith will be a better college player than Damonte. That's not meant as a criticism. Doesn't seem like any way he ends up at Mizzou anyhow.

Was JTs retweet a high sign for Smith? ;)

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
Yeah I don't think BU is going to put up with all the Chicago drama. Man some of those coaches think they are a gift to the basketball world and Illinois should just bow down to them.

Yeah I think you're wrong on that. BU is going to play the game in Chicago and get players because of it.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
It amazes me that so many people think Underwood is a babe in the woods when it comes to Chicago. The guys been coaching for 30 years, a lot of it in the Midwest. He knows what Chicago is all about, probably moreso than the coach he replaced. I have confidence that he knows what he's doing.

It amazes me that so many people think Underwood is a babe in the woods when it comes to Chicago. The guys been coaching for 30 years, a lot of it in the Midwest. He knows what Chicago is all about, probably moreso than the coach he replaced. I have confidence that he knows what he's doing.

He hasn't recruited top talent in Chicago as far as I know. Not that he can't but recruiting Chicago is different than recruiting the 4 or 5 stars from Chicago

He hasn't recruited top talent in Chicago as far as I know. Not that he can't but recruiting Chicago is different than recruiting the 4 or 5 stars.

Yeah, but at WIU he was recruiting at the same high schools. Maybe not the star players, but he's talked to a couple of these coaches in his day to know how they work.

I'm not sure how many times you've seen Smith play, but while Damonte has a chance to be a very good player for us, Smith has a chance to be one of the best to ever put on the jersey. He's that good and has "it"

Status
Not open for further replies.