Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be happy if this Mark Smith was as good as our previous Mark Smith! God, I am old!

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
I live among the big blue nation. They are entitled elitists. Good people until basketball becomes the topic.
True, but with them, basketball is always the topic. :thumb:

I would be happy if this Mark Smith was as good as our previous Mark Smith! God, I am old!

You aren't the only one. I keep seeing his name and having to mentally not pair him up with Eddie Johnson, Perry Range, Levi Cobb and Neil Bresnahan

:illinois:

Kiir or Smith

A reasonable scenario exists whereby Underwood is in play for both Smith and Kiir with one scholly available. Who should we take? The obvious choice would be Smith, however; we are so thin up front might it be a smarter move to take Kiir for the future of the interior depth? The tourney exposed the need for length and athleticism and that is something lacking on our team. I leave it to the experts in here to debate.

A reasonable scenario exists whereby Underwood is in play for both Smith and Kiir with one scholly available. Who should we take? The obvious choice would be Smith, however; we are so thin up front might it be a smarter move to take Kiir for the future of the interior depth? The tourney exposed the need for length and athleticism and that is something lacking on our team. I leave to the experts in here to debate.

We have two available spots right now, and there is always the possibility that someone transfers. I don't think this will be a problem
To answer your questions though, I'd still take Smith. I think he is going to end up being that much of a difference maker.

A reasonable scenario exists whereby Underwood is in play for both Smith and Kiir with one scholly available. Who should we take? The obvious choice would be Smith, however; we are so thin up front might it be a smarter move to take Kiir for the future of the interior depth? The tourney exposed the need for length and athleticism and that is something lacking on our team. I leave it to the experts in here to debate.

Both.

Tilmon has 67% CB's to Mizzou

Difference being...Kiir has asked for a release from his NLOI...Tilmon has not and has recently reconfirmed his commitment to the University of Illinois.

And as someone else had mentioned...CB's against us...bogus....in favor of us....spot on!! :):thumb: :shield::shield::shield:

We have two available and probably at least one more on top of that. They would take both players. Under your scenario, though, they would absolutely take Smith first. You take a likely star over developing depth.

2017-18 roster:

Seniors: none
Juniors: JCL, Finke, Black, DJ Williams, Jordan
Sophs: Lucas, Nichols
Frosh: Tilmon, Da Williams, Pickett, Frazier

That is 11 leaving 2 openings. However, it is likely that we lose at least one player to transfer. Most obvious would be DJ Williams.

If they want both Smith and Kiir, room will be there.

Deleted member 4960

D
You aren't the only one. I keep seeing his name and having to mentally not pair him up with Eddie Johnson, Perry Range, Levi Cobb and Neil Bresnahan

:illinois:

Perry Range, Mark Smith, Eddie Johnson were all the big Illini names from my youth! Eddie Johnson was the man!

HC Illini

HC Illini
So what happened to JT going to mizzou? :)

I don't know if I ever posted this. But when I wrote that it was info coming from the Mizzou camp and them saying it was done. At the same time Illinois was still certain that they had him. So I jumped to conclusions after hearing what the Mizzou staff was spreading, most likely in an effort to make something happen.

My bad, should've waited to hear from the Illini side before posting.

I find it odd, people saying Damonte's "consistency" issues are resolved while at the same time acknowledging the small window with which he may have displayed said consistency...

It is kind of like the extrapolations people were making on "what might have been" with Thorne's '15-'16 season based on one half of basketball against Iowa State.

Hope it pans out for Williams, but the consistency and motor issues still very much need to be proven.

I didn't say they were resolved. I said IF he returns to pre injury form he's a similar player talent wise to Smith. He was firing on all cylinders to start his senior year, and it looked like the light had finally turned on for him. It wasn't just a half game either. It's not fair to compare him to Thorne because Thorne had obvious limitations even before his injury. They just became amplified when he went down.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Quite the prediction considering he hasn't even committed to us. Damonte is in the same ballpark talent wise as Smithwas the point of my post.

You've read crazier things on this board! :D

I don't know if I ever posted this. But when I wrote that it was info coming from the Mizzou camp and them saying it was done. At the same time Illinois was still certain that they had him. So I jumped to conclusions after hearing what the Mizzou staff was spreading, most likely in an effort to make something happen.

If it makes you feel any better, I never believed you anyway :)

This is totally reasonable and I forgive the "you're bad." I like reading "inside info" even if it changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.