Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMC999

Not Iowa
While I like Smith and hope he chooses us, I definitely think this is an exaggeration. Smith isn't head and shoulders above Damonte if Damonte can recover from his injury and return to the form he had right before he got hurt. The question with Damonte has never been his talent. It's been his consistency and it seemed like he finally figured it out right before he got injured. In this Mark Smith hoopla it's easy to forget just how good Damonte looked right before he got hurt.

If we get Smith, can you imagine the intensity of the first few scrimmages with PT on the line? I'd pay to watch those scrimmages. The winner in the end? Everyone.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
If we get Smith, can you imagine the intensity of the first few scrimmages with PT on the line? I'd pay to watch those scrimmages. The winner in the end? Everyone.

7ac.jpg

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
A reasonable scenario exists whereby Underwood is in play for both Smith and Kiir with one scholly available. Who should we take? The obvious choice would be Smith, however; we are so thin up front might it be a smarter move to take Kiir for the future of the interior depth? The tourney exposed the need for length and athleticism and that is something lacking on our team. I leave it to the experts in here to debate.

Take both. We always think that no one will leave yet people get arrested, choose to leave, etc.

Take both. We always think that no one will leave yet people get arrested, choose to leave, etc.

Yup. You always add talent when you can.

Having said that, I think Kiir coming to IL as about as likely as me winning the Lottery.

You did say that. But that isn't what I was referring to. I was referring specifically to the comment:

I disagree that he has "figured out" his consistency issue, as he has never been consistently consistent.

And I am not comparing his talent to Thorne. I am merely stating that similar to Thorne, folks are using a much too small sample size regarding Williams "consistency" as rationale for future expectations in that department.

Lumping Damonte in with Thorne isn't fair though. They are entirely different situations. It's incredibly common for HS players to turn the corner their senior year. That's not at all common among 5th transfers. Damonte'S start to his year is MUCH more likely not to be an aberration compared to a 5th year senior having a great 1st half of a game.

-The crystal ball used to be somewhat useful, now its mostly just guys guessing like all of us.

-My crystal ball predicition: Mark Smith to Illinois

Agree to disagree. The point remains that the sample size is still far too small to determine that a player's issue with consistently bringing effort is resolved in a time frame too short to allow for consistency to be proven.

We can agree to disagree but that point is entirely subjective. There is no universal sample size quota that a player has to reach before you can make a judgment about them.

I believe JT tweet yesterday was done not only to assure fans but timed so it wouldn't impact the announcement of his friend's college choice.

Deleted member 10676

D
Champaign Central 2018 shooting guard Tim Finke is the state’s #2 prospect in his class. The wing has plus size and has gotten stronger in his upper body. Shoots it well from the perimeter, moves without the ball, and has solid athleticism. Finke is running with Meanstreets this spring on the circuit. We caught up with him at Swish N Dish to discuss his new grassroots team, junior season, and where things stand with his recruitment in this video interview.
Underwood has reached out to Tim's dad but going off this, I'd say Notre Dame, Vanderbilt and NW are leading right now.
[YOUTUBE]gVnVIrhQorE[/YOUTUBE]

afpharmdawg

Colorado Springs
Underwood has reached out to Tim's dad but going off this, I'd say Notre Dame, Vanderbilt and NW are leading right now.
[YOUTUBE]gVnVIrhQorE[/YOUTUBE]

I can't say you are wrong. He seemed fairly high on Oregon as well. He understood about our coaching change and I think gave a very good answer about that and the contact. I guess we'll see.

Deleted member 10676

D
Simeon 2018 small forward Talen Horton-Tucker comes into the spring as the #3 prospect in the state and is looking to make a statement on the national scene. He did exactly that over the weekend at the NY2LA Sports Swish N Dish. Without Ayo Dosunmu and Kezo Brown it was THT that put his Mac Irvin Fire team on his back. He is in the best shape of his life, has a more dominant mindset, and his jumper was on point!
Sounds like an Illinois offer might be forthcoming. Talen, please not Northwestern.
[YOUTUBE]aAoBVncDQEM[/YOUTUBE]

I can't say you are wrong. He seemed fairly high on Oregon as well. He understood about our coaching change and I think gave a very good answer about that and the contact. I guess we'll see.

Good, not great player. We can get comparable talents if he doesn't come. Not a must get, IMO.

Sounds like an Illinois offer might be forthcoming. Talen, please not Northwestern.
[YOUTUBE]aAoBVncDQEM[/YOUTUBE]

Sounds to me like the offer might be for a coach to join the staff more than an offer for THT, they way it sounded. Good for this kid if he gets an offer, if so, that would take Ayo offer and still leave Finke in play?

sacraig

The desert
Stop going to 247sports, don't give them any more revenue.

I still use it because they have a convenient compilation of a variety of ranking services. I just don't give them all the extra traffic related to their CB system. I don't really care what all the so-called experts say. If I cared that much, I'd actually pay for a recruiting service, and that service would be Scout, because Werner and Piper and far more plugged in than Jerry Meyer, generally speaking.

But since I don't care, I just enjoy speculating and hand-wringing with all of you fine ladies and gentlemen.

Deleted member 10676

D
Sounds to me like the offer might be for a coach to join the staff more than an offer for THT, they way it sounded. Good for this kid if he gets an offer, if so, that would take Ayo offer and still leave Finke in play?

I would say by the time AAU starts up in earnest, THT will be ranked ahead of Finke. I agree with combes, Finke is not a must have and he seems more interested in other schools. I would love to see Ayo and Talen in O&B but Ayo, for sure, is a longshot. He's currently ranked 20th in the class and already has a ton of offers. I suspect THT will too before much longer.
This video is from 10 days ago of Simeon against Bolingbrook which was ranked number 1 in IL, in the State Semi-Finals. THT had 24 and 8. Shows off a lot of his skills-- scoring inside and outside, passing, driving and defense. Plus, he's got that bull-like physique. Very nice game.
[YOUTUBE]S9sctYLOOL8[/YOUTUBE]

I would say by the time AAU starts up in earnest, THT will be ranked ahead of Finke. I agree with combes, Finke is not a must have and he seems more interested in other schools. I would love to see Ayo and Talen in O&B but Ayo, for sure, is a longshot. He's currently ranked 20th in the class and already has a ton of offers. I suspect THT will too before much longer.
This video is from 10 days ago of Simeon against Bolingbrook which was ranked number 1 in IL, in the State Semi-Finals. THT had 24 and 8. Shows off a lot of his skills-- scoring inside and outside, passing, driving and defense. Plus, he's got that bull-like physique. Very nice game.

I agree. If Finke wasn't a legacy recruit I don't think he would get so much attention. He still is a solid player but he has fallen behind others in this class. That still could change, but at this time with a limited number of scholarships for this class he is a lower priority.

Agreed, kid has a nice game to him, still not sure where he would fit in 2018 or after more importantly with BIGS leaving as of now, a lot can change. Finke is over-rated imo and I think he was ahead of the curve when ranked, he will drop also some more.

Just think the ILLINI need BIGS and this kid doesn't fit that mold at all...he is an early 6'5, growth is probably over already, others will catch up as well to his game. But again if we offer and he comes, I will root for him to succeed.:chief:

Status
Not open for further replies.