Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,001      

Deleted member 16068

D
Well, that's a pretty classy post considering the shade that some idiot Illini fans have thrown his way. I hope that his parents work through their disagreement for his sake, and if it works out for us, great.

That ship has sailed from both sides.
Wish him the best of luck going forward.
Can't wait to see how our new coaching staff fill the rest of the roster.
I am excitedly waiting. :illinois:

#2,002      

The Pontiff

Chicago, IL
That's way too low. Tilmon has elite size so barring him being a total dud, which isn't likely I would put sustained career at about 40% and playing in one game 75%.

...a player in the 25-30 range is 50% chance at best to make the NBA.

Since I don't sleep and I'm interested in the actually percentage I did the research:

I used the Top 25-35 recruits according to Rivals

2006: 3 Players Drafted
2007: 5 Players Drafted and 1 Undrafted Made Roster
2008: 5 Players Drafted
2009: 3 Players Drafted and 1 Undrafted Made Roster
2010: 4 Players Drafted
2011: 4 Players Drafted and 1 Undrafted Made Roster
2012: 5 Players Drafted

I would say 50% is pretty spot on

Good work, JIBS! For many of the same reasons and because I also like to deal in actual data, I've compiled some of this same info, though my db only goes back to 2008. Like JIBS found, of the 55 players ranked from #25 thru #35 from 2008-2012...
  • 2% were 1-and-Done (Jereme Richmond)
  • 42% were early entrees
  • 38% were drafted
  • 42% played in a regular season NBA game

As for taller guys, of the 55 guys in this rankings grouping, only 8 were listed at 6'10" or taller. Of these 8, three made the NBA. Interestingly, for top 25 ranked players over this same five-year period (125 total), the rate was about the same. 22 players were listed at 6'10"+, but less than half (10) have made the NBA and seven of those were in the top 10. Of the 12 guys who didn't make the NBA, 9 were ranked from 11 thru 25.

#2,003      
To be fair he racked up that winning percentage at a non P5. Everyone would be over the moon if he managed that here. He went 9-9 in the Big 12 with 2 future NBA players on his team. Cuonzo gets mocked on this board for only getting a 6 seed with multiple NBA guys. I haven't seen many posters object the hire but some, like myself, are hesitant to throw adulation and anoint the man a savior before he's successfully recruited a player or coached a game here like many posters on this board are doing.

BU won over 98% of conference games at SFA. That is impressive as a coach in any sport at any level. Also, as other posters have pointed out, that "talented" OSU team, was awful the year before he got there and unable to accomplish anything.

#2,004      

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles
He might not be a P5 prospect, but I think the kid could play in the B1G...plus at this late stage with 4 openings, the ILLINI will be hard pressed to find 4 more 100% ready P5 prospects to sign up.

Why not offer a local kid that has talent, even if you redshirt him, 2018 recruiting sucks anyway for most part in Illinois....no reason to carry over more than maybe 1-2?

Exactly why we hired Coach O :thumb:

#trusttheprocess

#2,005      

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles
That ship has sailed from both sides.
Wish him the best of luck going forward.
Can't wait to see how our new coaching staff fill the rest of the roster.
I am excitedly waiting. :illinois:

Wish him absolutely nothing going forward. Whatever happens to him happens. He's no longer of any significance to the ILL basketball program.

#2,007      

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
OK, this is really interesting:
https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/851917934356307969

For those who don't follow, Mohamed Bamba told Tilmon "Oh just shut and commit to Mizzou already :rolleyes:"

Not going to read too much into an 18 year old's social media post, but kind of funny.

is that interesting in that you think bamba would also be interested in Mizzou? or that its so widely known already that JT will end up there?

#2,009      
Originally Posted by STLIlliniMike said:
View Post
To be fair he racked up that winning percentage at a non P5. Everyone would be over the moon if he managed that here. He went 9-9 in the Big 12 with 2 future NBA players on his team. Cuonzo gets mocked on this board for only getting a 6 seed with multiple NBA guys. I haven't seen many posters object the hire but some, like myself, are hesitant to throw adulation and anoint the man a savior before he's successfully recruited a player or coached a game here like many posters on this board are doing.

If you can win 98% of your conference games in any conference you're doing great. You're doing great because you're competing with similar talent and that proves your coaching chops.

So saying he won at a non P5 does not diminish his coaching ability. Yea, if he would of coached the same SFA team in the ACC they probably wouldn't have done so well.

But you could say the same if a successful P5 team (Kentucky, Duke, etc.) played in a league with greater and more talent such as the NBA. They wouldn't win as many games, but that would not diminish the coaches coaching ability. The fact of the matter is, if you can win the majority of your game in the conference you play in on a consistent basis you're probably a good coach.

And by the way, those SFA teams put up a hell of a fight against really good P5 teams if I recall in the big dance.

Last edited:
#2,010      

Rob07

San Francisco
is that interesting in that you think bamba would also be interested in Mizzou? or that its so widely known already that JT will end up there?
Yeah, I don't think there's any reason to believe Bamba's interested in Mizzou, so more that he's familiar with the drama surrounding Tilmon's decommitment.

Or maybe he wants to be sure he's the only 5 on our roster next year? ;)

#2,012      

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles
If you can win 98% of your conference games in any conference you're doing great. You're doing great because you're competing with similar talent and that proves your coaching chops.

So saying he won at a non P5 does not diminish his coaching ability. Yea, if he would of coached the same SFA team in the ACC they probably wouldn't have done so well.

But you could say the same if a successful P5 team (Kentucky, Duke, etc.) played in a league with greater and more talent such as the NBA. They wouldn't win as many games, but that would not diminish the coaches coaching ability. The fact of the matter is, if you can win the majority of your game in the conference you play in on a consistent basis you're probably a good coach.

And by the way, those SFA teams put up a hell of a fight against really good P5 teams if I recall.

Here, hear.

#2,013      
Yeah, I don't think there's any reason to believe Bamba's interested in Mizzou, so more that he's familiar with the drama surrounding Tilmon's decommitment.

Or maybe he wants to be sure he's the only 5 on our roster next year? ;)

I know that you are joking, but don't be surprised if that becomes a legitimate theory around here....

#2,015      

And by the way, those SFA teams put up a hell of a fight against really good P5 teams if I recall.

This is a fantastic point. :clappy:

#2,016      
Never reward or give credence to disgraceful behavior, it only re-enforces others to act in the same belligerent and selfish way.

Whoa...I didn't know this board had that much influence. I'm gonna have to reevaluate my involvement in it. I don't know if I can be trusted with that much power.

#2,017      

Deleted member 4333

D

Let's not forget that he went to the NCAA with SFA and beat #5 seed VCU in 2014 and #3 seed West VA in 2016. Very impressive. And after starting 0-6 in conference at OSU, he finished on a 9-3 run. Who knows how he'll do here, but the man can coach.

#2,020      
Kenny Wooten is a name to remember. Recent decommit from Arizona St. Have some connected friends who think there might be potential.

#2,021      

ILLINIambassador82

Rockville, IN
What about this guy? Worth going after? Any chance?

2017 Las Vegas Trinity four-star post Kenny Wooten decomitted from #ASU and reopened his reruitment, he tells Scout: scout.com/college/basket…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,022      
BU won over 98% of conference games at SFA. That is impressive as a coach in any sport at any level. Also, as other posters have pointed out, that "talented" OSU team, was awful the year before he got there and unable to accomplish anything.

The point remains he hasn't done anything noteworthy as a P5 head coach, and he's being talked up like the second coming of Coach K on this board. If you don't consider a college team with two NBA players on its roster as talented , then I don't know what to tell you.

#2,023      

foby

Bonnaroo Land

2017 Las Vegas Trinity four-star post Kenny Wooten decomitted from #ASU and reopened his reruitment, he tells Scout: scout.com/college/basket…

We offered him in October, so interesting.

#2,024      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

Either he or Cameron Johnson could fill in nicely at that 3 spot. If it ultimately turns out we traded Pickett for one of those guys I'd be ok with that, even though I like Pickett more than most.

#2,025      

All I'm saying is what I'm hearing and that's not much. Just keep an eye on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.