Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,103      

LincolnIlliniFan

Lincoln, IL
As a person that is somewhat close to the situation, Martin never tampered with Tilmon. The entire issue right now for the mom is Martin never recruited him while he was at Cal. Porter, who played AAU ball with Tilmon, was the main person talking to him about playing together again. He always wanted to go big time (NC, KU, etc) however his high school career hasn't gone as plan. A lot of people in ESL wants him to go to Mizzou as Martin is still a legend there. I am not sure what decision he will make but he was NEVER tampered with. His hesitation to sign earlier in the year was indication that he had some reservation with Illinois knowing Groce would get fired at some point. It's a lot of local adults involved that hopefully won't ruin the kids future. It's a mess right now.

From this post, I can tell you're no insider. CM definitely tampered and Porter and Tilmon never played on an AAU team together. May know each other from AAU but not from playing together. Tilmon either ends up at Kansas or comes strolling back to Champaign with his tail between his legs. He wont be at MIZZOU. Mark my words. CM is all flash, no substance.

#2,104      
From this post, I can tell you're no insider. CM definitely tampered and Porter and Tilmon never played on an AAU team together. May know each other from AAU but not from playing together. Tilmon either ends up at Kansas or comes strolling back to Champaign with his tail between his legs. He wont be at MIZZOU. Mark my words. CM is all flash, no substance.

So is that a :hailtotheorange: ?

#2,105      

Not only that but Porter Jr. (being the coaches son) actively recruiting a player with a national letter of intent would be "looked down upon" by the majority of compliance departments across universities in the United States. It's called "lack of institutional control" in the violation world and they took some risk here. We'll see if anything comes out of it. It would be okay for Porter Jr. to do this if he was simply a committed recruit, but being the "son" of the coach showed bad judgement and the willingness to take on the risk.

#2,106      

Tilmon played for MOKAN with Porter in the 9th and 10th grade. High School Coach Tony Young of ESL was Director of Operations for MOKAN at the time. Once Young got fired from ESL, he moved to the STL Eagles and played with Corey Frazier!

Last edited by a moderator:
#2,107      
Not only that but Porter Jr. (being the coaches son) actively recruiting a player with a national letter of intent would be "looked down upon" by the majority of compliance departments across universities in the United States. It's called "lack of institutional control" in the violation world and they took some risk here. We'll see if anything comes out of it. It would be okay for Porter Jr. to do this if he was simply a committed recruit, but being the "son" of the coach showed bad judgement and the willingness to take on the risk.

Now this can be true in terms of compliance so we will see. My only point was Martin hasn't been recruiting Tilmon. The city of ESL is wanting him to go with Martin as well as Porter. We will see how things shake out. Again, its some adults with their hands in this. Hopefully the kid can make his own decision.

#2,108      
Now this can be true in terms of compliance so we will see. My only point was Martin hasn't been recruiting Tilmon. The city of ESL is wanting him to go with Martin as well as Porter. We will see how things shake out. Again, its some adults with their hands in this. Hopefully the kid can make his own decision.

Thanks for info. It is good to have some insight into what looks to be complicated situation.

#2,109      
Hopefully the kid can make his own decision.

I'm so sick of hearing this.

Teenagers are guided by adults in making major life decisions because adults have the wisdom of experience and kids don't.

But leave that to one side.

A basketball staff gets zero credit, ZERO, for winning the heart of the recruit in a situation where the heart of the recruit isn't going to be the factor that puts him on campus. Never mind the fact that these claims are probably utter BS 99% of the time, it is explicitly the job of recruiters to understand the landscape around which the ACTUAL decision is being made.

"If only they'd been allowed to make their own decision" is insulting, paternalistic self-serving garbage coming from message board posters and it's the whining and excuse-making of losers coming from basketball coaches.

#2,111      

Teenagers are guided by adults in making major life decisions because adults have the wisdom of experience and kids don't.

Responsible adults maybe. Too often in these high profile recruitments the adults have their own self interests at heart.

#2,112      

Deleted member 8213

D
As a person that is somewhat close to the situation, Martin never tampered with Tilmon. The entire issue right now for the mom is Martin never recruited him while he was at Cal. Porter, who played AAU ball with Tilmon, was the main person talking to him about playing together again. He always wanted to go big time (NC, KU, etc) however his high school career hasn't gone as plan. A lot of people in ESL wants him to go to Mizzou as Martin is still a legend there. I am not sure what decision he will make but he was NEVER tampered with. His hesitation to sign earlier in the year was indication that he had some reservation with Illinois knowing Groce would get fired at some point. It's a lot of local adults involved that hopefully won't ruin the kids future. It's a mess right now.

Just because he's not the guy on the other end of the phone doesn't mean he isn't complicit. :tsk:

#2,113      
Responsible adults maybe. Too often in these high profile recruitments the adults have their own self interests at heart.

No doubt. Which is a shame. But as a recruiter you're not there to mediate community disputes, you're there to put a kid in your team's uniform. Knowing who to influence is half the battle, and it's the half of the battle John Groce (and Jamall Walker) lost over and over and over and over and over and over again.

#2,114      
Tilmon played for MOKAN with Porter in the 9th and 10th grade. High School Coach Tony Young of ESL was Director of Operations for MOKAN at the time. Once Young got fired from ESL, he moved to the STL Eagles and played with Corey Frazier!

Good stuff.

#2,115      

But leave that to one side.

A basketball staff gets zero credit, ZERO, for winning the heart of the recruit in a situation where the heart of the recruit isn't going to be the factor that puts him on campus. Never mind the fact that these claims are probably utter BS 99% of the time, it is explicitly the job of recruiters to understand the landscape around which the ACTUAL decision is being made.

"If only they'd been allowed to make their own decision" is insulting, paternalistic self-serving garbage coming from message board posters and it's the whining and excuse-making of losers coming from basketball coaches.

There is something called "Under the Table" that happens more than most people know. You would be surprised at why MOST decisions are actually made.

Right now there are people telling him to go to Mizzou for the city of ESL. As crazy as that my sound (It sounds crazy to me being from there) people close to him are in his ear about it. These are the same people that were helping take care of him before he became a decent basketball player. Kids don't like to disappoint influential adults.

#2,116      
You would be surprised at why MOST decisions are actually made.

I assure you I would not.

Right now there are people telling him to go to Mizzou for the city of ESL. As crazy as that my sound (It sounds crazy to me being from there) people close to him are in his ear about it. These are the same people that were helping take care of him before he became a decent basketball player. Kids don't like to disappoint influential adults.

I don't think any of us like to disappoint our friends and people close to us.

So as Illinois you're either getting enough of those people on your side by hook or by crook, or you're insulating Tilmon and his family from those pressures. Or both. I'm sure Walker tried, and may still be trying. But the school than wins the recruitment of Jeremiah Tilmon is the school Jeremiah Tilmon enrolls at. No points are awarded to anyone else for any reason whatsoever.

#2,117      
Just because he's not the guy on the other end of the phone doesn't mean he isn't complicit. :tsk:

Yeah, but when rumors circulate on this board that we have already hired assistants but have not announced so we can circumvent the dead period, we proclaim it as a truly genius move and jump from joy. :)

#2,118      
I assure you I would not.

I don't think any of us like to disappoint our friends and people close to us.

So as Illinois you're either getting enough of those people on your side by hook or by crook, or you're insulating Tilmon and his family from those pressures. Or both. I'm sure Walker tried, and may still be trying. But the school than wins the recruitment of Jeremiah Tilmon is the school Jeremiah Tilmon enrolls at. No points are awarded to anyone else for any reason whatsoever.

True but sometimes you can be in a no win situations or simply put, the stakes are too high.

#2,119      
I think Tilmon should just go to Missouri if he wants. Playing against a really good big in practice might make him better. I wonder if the dad is gonna suddenly get a nice new job with a pay raise lol. Illini will be alright without him. The long term matters more than any one recruit. I think we should as a fan base move on to other transfer and recruits of interest. The team seems to have done that well.

#2,120      
We are set to see some kids commit today, correct? April 12? Nobody we expect to get but maybe scholarships get filled elsewhere today?

#2,121      
Looks like we are definitely in the game for Smith, but it won't be today. They are still scheduling visits...
I think the guard situation will be fine. JCL as a shooter, Lucas as pure point, Frazier as a lead guard, and Damonte as a wild card. There is not a Tate on the roster. He has been in over his head since leaving De la Salle H.S. The Tate on this roster so far is Aaron Jordan. He was at least a competent shooter in high school and he has not ever done that. I know he does not get a bunch of time, but at least hit your free throws and an open three every now and then.

#2,122      
True but sometimes you can be in a no win situations or simply put, the stakes are too high.

No question. And ideally you can recognize that, get out of those situations and redirect your energies and resources elsewhere. Another thing Groce constantly failed to do, and something for which Underwood (and Whitman) are off to a worrying start.

#2,123      

SalukiIllini

Evansville, IN

Lol!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.