Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,130      
In regards to 2018 scholarships...

A lot can happen over the next year.

1. Someone can realize they aren't going to get the playing time they want and decide to tranfer.
2. The coaching staff could kindly tell one of the players that they may be better off transferring
3. Someone could become homesick/have family issues that cause a transfer.
4. Black or Finke could be Grad transfers.
5. One of the Juniors that didn't reshirt could graduate in 3yrs and be a Grad tranfer.
6. Someone could get in trouble and get kicked off the team.

With all the transfers over the last 5-10yrs nothing would surprise me. I trust that the coaching staff will be more tuned in to all of this!

It is also likely at this point we don't fill all 4 open scholarships or fill 1 or more with 5th yr seniors which effectively rolls the scholarship to 2018

#3,132      
McBride was huge in high school, a Springfield legend. He was a good college player, but was never the superstar that followed his early hype.

McBride was a typical example of someone who had matured earlier compared to peers. He was projected as a superstar as a freshman in HS, but progressively the hype died down by Sr. year. Still a highly ranked player, but he had a consistent decline even before he got to UI.

#3,133      
Recently went back and watched video on Da'Monte Williams. When healthy, he is really, really, really, really good. I mean REALLY good. Little doubt he will show the world why he was ranked Top 50 at one point and I, for one, can't wait to see it!

#3,134      
Yes, but wasn't he the #1 recruit in the country coming out of high school?[/QUOTE

well he did make the NBA, and hard to fault a guy who played with the guys who started in 89 as not doing much

#3,135      
Who are the ex-Illini players who had the biggest gaps between Fan hype/expectations and actual results? Jereme Richmond is probably the headliner, but there must be others...

Olaf Blab......

#3,138      

icengineer

Southern Illinois
I partied with Olaf Blab and Scott Hafner back in the day. I swear Olaf had a hollow leg that he filled up with beer when he was drinking...

Every German I ever met could put the brews down with the best of them! :thumb:

#3,139      
My mom has always said that I was the #1 recruit in her eyes, and they never even once tried to pull me from the stands and sub me into a game. So maybe not the biggest disappointing player, but definitely one of the biggest recruiting misses.

#3,140      
Who are the ex-Illini players who had the biggest gaps between Fan hype/expectations and actual results? Jereme Richmond is probably the headliner, but there must be others...

Brian Randle pops to mind.
Jerry (Jarrod) Gee
Brett Melton

#3,143      
I would have a hard time saying Marcus, the guy did play all 5 spots for us as our 6th man in 89

And to follow up on this, he did average 18 and 7 his sophomore year. I realize expectations as the #1 rated player in his class were through the roof but little perspective would be nice.

#3,146      

I don't know but this isn't the thread for it.

#3,148      

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
Can we have a separate thread for our recruiting "busts"? Pretty off topic thread right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.