Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,601      

USAFILLINI

Florida
Sounds like he gave his word that he would visit osu and is following through on it. if his dad is pushing him to follow through on his word, I'm not for sure what the hysteria is about. With some of the drama around other recruits, it's comforting and also sad to see the cotrast when good parenting comes into play.

#3,602      
Sounds like he gave his word that he would visit osu and is following through on it. if his dad is pushing him to follow through on his word, I'm not for sure what the hysteria is about. With some of the drama around other recruits, it's comforting and also sad to see the cotrast when good parenting comes into play.

I agree with this one hundred. I believe he is coming here, but I think his parents are making him carry out the plan that he agreed to. It's refreshing to see a well mannered recruitment and this makes me want him even more. I'll be a fan of MS wherever he goes.

#3,603      
I agree, ease up

Some here need to get a grip. every time there's a minor glitch in a recruitment it's perceived as a catastrophic occurrence. We are almost there let it play out

#3,604      

jmilt7

Waukegan
Johnson just listed his final six, we were not on it. Moore, Smith, and Bragg are all very realistic. Moore will come down to ILL and KU. We all know Smith is MSU or ILL, and from what I have heard it will be ILL or Xavier for Bragg. Now it's just time to land them.

This is on the transfer thread but according to a Chicago Tribune article (?) that appeared on the Apple News app. (which I saw also) Moore has committed to Kansas. If you want the link go to the transfer thread.

#3,605      
I have to laugh because I forget this is an individual opinion forum where opinions are like a------s, everyone has one. First of all you "don't even know Mark's parents whatsoever and for you to just bash them because you are mad or upset because they have not made any info public then the negative starts, smh.

If you dont like the process of how Mark's recruitment is going. You should reframe from pointing fingers at his parents.

As far as living through Mark that is not my uncle or aunt's character but they are both educated and well informed about the recruiting process. Any personal opinion they have will never be expressed publicly, but the (BEST) decision for Mark will be discussed in the privacy of their home. Yes, Mark will lead the charge and the decision on WHAT college is the best "fit" for Mark. Now whether that be Illini, MSU, UK or Duke or Parkland College trust and believe it will be Mark's final say. Living vicariously through someone again, individual opinions. How about this why not try to find a few "true facts" then respond.
Agree with this. I read an article about Mark and his father and the two of them getting up at 4:30am to work out. It's obvious that his father isn't living vicariously but doing what any father would do---putting his son in the best position to succeed.

While there may be folks out there who think the Smith's should be focused on his education, he's going to school to make a career of basketball. Like someone going to a trade school, he has to find which one will make him the best basketball player. I hope it's Illinois, but if I had a son with his kind of talent, I'd definitely want to hear what options were out there.

#3,606      
If I were Mark Smith's dad I would be doing the exact same thing.

This has been a whirlwind. The hour is getting late. My kid wasn't even a basketball recruit until a few months ago, and now there is a feeding frenzy for him. In Duke and UK two of the absolute best basketball schools in the country, who have decorated histories of developing professional talent and Hall of Fame coaches who are at the top of their profession are reaching out with interest? And my kid and my wife are focused on a couple of other schools just because they were in the picture first?

No way son. You're going to Lexington and Durham. It's your decision, but it's going to be an informed decision. You're not just going to ignore Cal and Coach K because you grew up rooting for Illinois. This is an adult decision for your adult future.

If this were Facebook I would "like" this post

#3,607      
If you've been recruiting the kid since 8th grade and he flips on you at the last second, would you keep crossing your fingers?

No you wouldn't... and neither would/is Jamall Walker

We fired the head coach, he said he was reopening his recruitment, & has not committed anywhere, not exactly the same as flipping. We have zero 5's on the roster & no signs of any on the radar. If he has any interest at all, which means he (or his mom/dad/coach/friend/2nd cousin,...) is still talking to Walker or anyone else on staff you keep the door open as wide as you can. You don't have to have high expectations, but you play the cards you have until he actually commits somewhere. The fact that are chances are near zero is not the same thing as do we still need/want him.

#3,608      

sdfidaho

Boise, Idaho
Some here need to get a grip. every time there's a minor glitch in a recruitment it's perceived as a catastrophic occurrence. We are almost there let it play out

I don't know how much of this was real.
Seeing some posts/responses that were deleted, there are clearly some " sarcasm meters" malfunctioning today

#3,609      

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
I don't know how much of this was real.
Seeing some posts/responses that were deleted, there are clearly some " sarcasm meters" malfunctioning today

Lol. Entirely probable. Carry on...

#3,610      

Seriously, some people need some pride/swagger. So a recruit we want is visiting somewhere else? So what? We're his best option, let's hope he sees that.

That's how the men and women of this forum should think about their favorite college basktball program that they're proud of, not as some unfortunate reality of their sports life. Some of you sound like it pains you to be an Illini fan, and frankly, we could use a lot more homers.

#3,611      
I have to laugh because I forget this is an individual opinion forum where opinions are like a------s, everyone has one. First of all you "don't even know Mark's parents whatsoever and for you to just bash them because you are mad or upset because they have not made any info public then the negative starts, smh.

If you dont like the process of how Mark's recruitment is going. You should reframe from pointing fingers at his parents.

As far as living through Mark that is not my uncle or aunt's character but they are both educated and well informed about the recruiting process. Any personal opinion they have will never be expressed publicly, but the (BEST) decision for Mark will be discussed in the privacy of their home. Yes, Mark will lead the charge and the decision on WHAT college is the best "fit" for Mark. Now whether that be Illini, MSU, UK or Duke or Parkland College trust and believe it will be Mark's final say. Living vicariously through someone again, individual opinions. How about this why not try to find a few "true facts" then respond.

Great family and grounded athlete. Unfortunately there are a bunch of assclowns that want to be insiders and start to post garbage. True insiders often don't post because it is too persnal and may disclose info on family or friends that they don't want to be publically aired. I had a brief friendship with a future NBA HOF/champ. I would of loved for him to go to Illinois. I never would of discussed none public info. I would just tell him to think about the Illini.

#3,612      
How about this. A Dad loves his son and these are fleeting moments. Who wouldn't want a trip with there Dad/Son as they set on a path that will take them away from home regardless where he chooses.

#3,613      

This has been a whirlwind. The hour is getting late. My kid wasn't even a basketball recruit until a few months ago, and now there is a feeding frenzy for him. In Duke and UK two of the absolute best basketball schools in the country, who have decorated histories of developing professional talent and Hall of Fame coaches who are at the top of their profession are reaching out with interest? And my kid and my wife are focused on a couple of other schools just because they were in the picture first?

No way son. You're going to Lexington and Durham. It's your decision, but it's going to be an informed decision. You're not just going to ignore Cal and Coach K because you grew up rooting for Illinois. This is an adult decision for your adult future.

There's interest and then there's INTEREST.

If I were a Kentucky or Duke fan I would regard the idea of Smith committing there as totally ludicrous and a waste of time.;)

#3,614      

Deleted member 29907

D

That could work out wrong the other way - very recent nice experience overtakes your long time desire, you end up regretting the new 'informed decision' based on recent events. That type of circumstance has ruined alot of marriages. If he has a long term desire to play at UI and the vetting of the coach and supporting staff looks good - let him satisfy that. At this point he is not letting him chose a bad situation.

Just because they are good schools - there are many other considerations such as playing time, getting recruited over, etc. He's already had plenty of time to figure that out about Duke and UK.

#3,615      
Seriously, some people need some pride/swagger. So a recruit we want is visiting somewhere else? So what? We're his best option, let's hope he sees that.

That's how the men and women of this forum should think about their favorite college basktball program that they're proud of, not as some unfortunate reality of their sports life. Some of you sound like it pains you to be an Illini fan, and frankly, we could use a lot more homers.

Agreed and with that said our class will round out with Smith, JT, Francesco Badocchi, and either Bragg or Taylor Bruninga

#3,617      
If I'm not mistaken, the OSU visit is his last fifth official visit so if they did take one to duke or Kentucky it would have to be on their own dime, correct?

#3,618      
We fired the head coach, he said he was reopening his recruitment, & has not committed anywhere, not exactly the same as flipping. We have zero 5's on the roster & no signs of any on the radar. If he has any interest at all, which means he (or his mom/dad/coach/friend/2nd cousin,...) is still talking to Walker or anyone else on staff you keep the door open as wide as you can. You don't have to have high expectations, but you play the cards you have until he actually commits somewhere. The fact that are chances are near zero is not the same thing as do we still need/want him.

THNAK YOU.

#3,619      
So if Smith decides he wants to also give UK & Duke a visit after this weekend, could this thing drag out another couple weeks? Or is sometime next week looking more likely?

#3,620      

This is the only way it should be. Most prospects where he is rated at now have been recruited as such for four years. MS didn't start hearing from high majors until late December. He needs to exhaust all options.

#3,621      
Certainly Marks parents or any other ahtletes parents in this situation wouldn't make a decision or base one of of a chat board.Educated parents would never read or participate in a chat forum that is talking about their son. Makes no sense at all. I am assuming if they are the educated parents we believe them to be, they wouldn't waste time in the lack of substance that is a chat board, but focus on teh message delivered by the coacheing staff and the fit on campus. In this case, Illinois remains and in many wasy is THE fit for Mark Smithl.

Yeah, that's not really how it works. If there was a message board out there that had thousands of fans doing nothing but talking about you (or your kids) are you honestly saying you wouldn't read it? It's just human nature for people to be curious what others are saying about them. That said, I think most know that EVERY single fanbase has 1% crazy and doesn't take it too much to heart. For every crazy post here there is a crazy post on an MSU or UK board. So likely that no recruitment really gets swayed by anonymous posters

Last edited:
#3,623      
Obviously as Illini fans we all wanted Smith to cancel his OSU visit and announce his commitment to our school today. That being said I understand why his Father wants him to look around and make an informed decision. It appears to me that Mark is a perfect fit for us and we are the best fit for him, so hopefully he will reach that decision as well. If he makes another decision then all I can do is wish the young man the best.

#3,624      
I don't follow college baseball at all except as a fair weather fan when the Illini are really good. So I honestly have no idea the answer to this question: is Missouri baseball that much better than Illinois? With the often made suggestions that he grew up a lifelong Illini fan and it's always been his dream to play here, any idea why he committed to Missouri for baseball instead of here?

#3,625      

ChazzReinhold

Mom! The Meatloaf!
I don't follow college baseball at all except as a fair weather fan when the Illini are really good. So I honestly have no idea the answer to this question: is Missouri baseball that much better than Illinois? With the often made suggestions that he grew up a lifelong Illini fan and it's always been his dream to play here, any idea why he committed to Missouri for baseball instead of here?

SEC Baseball>>>B1G Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.